Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Sheesh, what's a guy to do? GM and Chrysler might not be in business in a year or two, Toyo's don't know how to stop & Fords turn into Roman candles in the driveway. I have have 5 Fords in my driveway right now. Think I'll stick with them. No flames yet.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Here in Canada we just turn off the ignition.
Kim

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5T5 View Post
Here in Canada we just turn off the ignition.
Kim
Hey Kim...you have this happen often? Tom
Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I hope when you say you turn the ignition off you mean you park them until a fix is made Kim because if you turn off the ignition you won't have the Power boost for your brakes and steering.
Park them!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Not yet.But I'll be ready if it does!
Kim
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5T5 View Post
Here in Canada...
...the Yaris isn't on the no sell list.

Oh sorry, that's just in Ontario--nevermind!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Toyota vehicles, which have been linked to 19 deaths and several hundred complaints to federal regulators, reported in the Detroint Free Press.

Toyota recall woes continue | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
This is scary! We have 5 Toyotas... both of our 98 Camrys and the '02 Avalon all get "sticky" throttles and have to be sprayed every so often. It amounts to more gas being used...never thought this could be happen. We don't have any of the years affected, but curiously we have had sticky throttles. By "sticky" I mean you have to push the gas a little harder than normal to accelerate. It doesn't get stuck while accelerating. We started taking them to the dealership, but all they did was spray them and they were back to normal, so we bought a can of throttle body spray. 8.00 a can as opposed to 27.00 a car to do it!

Anybody else had this problem?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
An uneasy feeling.....

I am a Toyota guy through and through and I am driving an '08 Tundra. When they spoke of the floor mats getting stuck I went out and inspected mine. I couldn't possibly imagine the gas pedal getting stuck in my truck. What bothers me the most is the fact that Toyota does not know what is causing this problem.

I sure hope they find out soon. Could you imagine seeing me going down the freeway with my Safari all doing about 100mph? Yikes. I will be shifting into neutral if it ever happens. The odds are in my favor though.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The floor mat thing was a joke. When I bought my 2010 in Oct they had the floor mat tied down with a zip tie. I examined the thing close and couldn't imagine how the mats could cause the pedal to stick. Wonder if this only happens when you push the pedal all the way down - or can it happen any time?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Valley Grande , Alabama
o.k. after reading this:
Toyota knew of sticky-throttle problem late last year - USATODAY.com

it appears that we have been keeping a potentially deadly problem at bay. When we complain about the throttle body (gas pedal) sticking, my husband gets the spray out and fixes it. Apparently, the article says that the first step to major problems is a choppy, unsmooth accleration. The squeaky wheel does get the grease. You know how us women folk can nag. We have been complaining so loudly when it begins because we were noticing more gas being used....little did we know that we could have preventing an accident. For folks who have been noticing this and you don't have the vehicle recall year, I suggest taking your car to the nearest Toyota place and get them to spray it. 27.00 is not that much (cheaper than an oil change where I live) and if you did that twice a year couldn't hurt.

I am wondering how Toyota can explain it all away with the "floor mat" excuse. Doesn't make sense to me. Guess what hubby will be doing tomorrow? Spraying all of the vehicles with the throttle body spray.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Toyota recomendation.....encouraging?

What if you experience a sticking accelerator pedal while driving?
• Each circumstance may vary, and drivers must use their best judgment, but Toyota recommends taking one of following actions:
• If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist.
• Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.
• If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.
o If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.
o If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

Parts suppliers in Japan had near death experiences when they opened their Nikkei [sub] this morning. Parts suppliers in China and the rest of the world suffered heart and respiratory problems when the news of Toyota’s latest plan hit the news-wires.

In search of money to save, Toyota plans to slash its parts procurement expenses by 30 percent over the next three years.

Toyota told parts manufacturers to cut prices for auto parts to be used in cars that will be released in and after 2013. The cuts affect more than 200 power train, body and chassis components.

This is easier said than done. Parts sold to OEMs are typically made at razor-thin margins. There is only one way to come close to the cost reductions planned: Make the parts from less expensive materials, and dispense with the really expensive parts,

In that vein, Toyota spokesman Takanori Yokoi said the automaker had made “various suggestions including cost reductions” to suppliers, says Reuters. Toyota plans to overhaul its car designs to help cut costs.

This can only mean one thing: The previously vaunted Toyota reliability, which already started to suffer a while ago, will go further down the drain. The reliability problems were one of the results of a cost-cutting campaign by Toyota that started in 2006.

The news was received with “Hurrah!” on the top floor of the Volkswagen-Hochhaus in Wolfsburg. VW wants to dethrone Toyota by 2018. The cuts in quality will play right into the hands of Volkswagen. They had to contend with their own quality problems ,and had stomach convulsions whenever a German J.D. Power study came out with Toyota on top, and VW down below mediocre.

Posted in Japan, News Blog
Tagged as Bertel Schmitt, Japan, Quality, Toyota

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Drat! I love our Tundra! (But not nearly as much as I love our 11 yr. old Audi.)
Very scary news. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I am a Toyota guy through and through and I am driving an '08 Tundra. When they spoke of the floor mats getting stuck I went out and inspected mine. I couldn't possibly imagine the gas pedal getting stuck in my truck. What bothers me the most is the fact that Toyota does not know what is causing this problem.
My guess is that they know what the root cause is and thats why they are shutting down production.........bad parts