Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #241
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Today I see GM is recalling 1.3 million cars for steering pump problems and Toyota has to replace oil hoses. They say the oil hoses are not a safety issue, so it's not a "recall". It sounded like if the hose leaks enough, the engine seizes.

Gene
I heard that this morning too, Gene, and what crossed my mind was that perhaps Toyota is thinking, "Let's get all the skeletons out of the closet now and take one big hit, rather than get over the sticky throttle then get whacked later for the oil leak."

Who knows, of course, just idle speculation.

I'm wondering when the right tiome to buy their shares will be. They took a big hit compared to where they were in January of this year, but they're now only somewhere around last April's value...

[Edit] Then I go to the front page of the CBC webite, and there's an article, "Toyota Canada sold 24 per cent more vehicles in February compared to the same month a year earlier, despite a huge worldwide recall of its products, the automaker reported Tuesday."

People just like their cars, I guess!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #242
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up AOA performed

Toyota speak for
Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #243
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Just back from getting my "fix" done. Like Gene including the test drive it took about 40 minutes. Do I feel any safer - no. Had a rubber aftermarket floor mat that I'd cut down so much it didn't even come near the gas pedal which they removed and put in the truck bed - didn't even leave it in the cab. Now back where it belongs. They also removed the aluminum Toyota Accessory pedal but that looks like it just slides on over the regular pedal so it will be returned also when I get around to it. In my opinion a waste of time but at least now if something should happen down the road Toyota can't claim it happened because I didn't get the "fix" done. BTW according to my receipt the dealers are getting $56.25 for doing this - 25 cents for the part and the rest labor.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #244
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Some Toyotas are having the brake override activated and others are not. It's already in the computer. On our Tundra, they were not told to activate it. I asked them what they thought about the safety issue where you have to give the vehicle gas while applying the brake on a steep grade—having been in a spot off road many years ago where rolling back meant going over a cliff, I think this can be very important. It was in a truck that kept stalling (it was a long ago girlfriend's truck) at high altitude. The service people had no opinion on that issue.
Gene
I agree with Gene, I'm wondering about manual transmissions starting on a hill, seems that's a forgotten art in today's computer world.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #245
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
It's all still a scam.
I've developed a fuel shut off solenoid to be placed extremely close to the fuel rail. Electrically operated or cable operated, additional fail safe chute for rear bumper installation.
send me the amount of money you feel your existence is worth and I'll send you plans.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may be saying that in jest but in the end that is going to be the only sure fired way to override a computer failure. Cutting off the fuel.

A toggle switch wired in series with the fuel pump circuit would do it. Car takes off you just turn the fuel off. Probably less than $30.00 in parts and an hour to install, but they will spend hundreds in recall labor replacing floor mats and pedals and hundreds of thousands in ads just to not have to admit the real problem.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #247
_

. , .
been seeing new signs along the interstate like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	toyota sign.png
Views:	390
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	97348

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #248
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
I am not reading 18 pages of this, but all I can tell you is this is proof people cannot think for themselves and take personal responsibility for this. I have an 08 tundra, also in this tundra I have heavy rubber floor mats. One day while cleaning the truck I took the mats out clean and put them back in. After I finished I got in my truck to move it. Turned it on but my foot lightly on the brake, shifted to drive, but my foot firmly on the brake and the truck took off. What I found out later was I had placed the floor mats ontop of the pedals it was my stupid mistake. Now while the engine is at redline, my truck is about 10 feet from a retaining wall the the brakes cannot hold the truck back. So what do I do, pop the truck in to N engine is still going balls to the wall, shut it down than notice my mat ontop of the pedals I was pissed at myself for being stupid and got lucky nothing bad happend.

Thats my little story all it takes is quick thinking and reacting to what is happening around you. But I did get the recall done, according to the service guy it was a shim and heavier spring to make sure the pedal can overcome the weight of a floor mat.
gmwelder86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #249
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwelder86 View Post
according to the service guy it was a shim and heavier spring to make sure the pedal can overcome the weight of a floor mat.
Now that is the only silly thing thing I have heard yet, related to this debacle!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #250
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmwelder86 View Post
But I did get the recall done, according to the service guy it was a shim and heavier spring to make sure the pedal can overcome the weight of a floor mat.
Glad you could stop before you hit the wall.

The story the service guy told you was the first mention of the rationale that the increased return tension was to overcome the weight of the floor mat. That's a different story than the one that has been out there—the pedal sticks and the spring tension has been increased to prevent sticking. I wonder if service guy made that up or heard it from somewhere?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #251
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Two items.

First, people who've had the recall are continuing to report unintended accelerations: NY Times article.
The owner of a 2009 Camry said that on Feb. 25, two days after the car received the recall repair, it suddenly sped up and went into a ditch. The owner of a 2010 Camry repaired Feb. 12 wrote that the car accelerated into a snow bank five days later. Both drivers said they had tried to brake, but were unable to stop the car before going off the road.
My understanding is that these are based on reports to the NHTSA and have not yet been confirmed by that agency.

On a related note, Edmunds is offering a million bucks if you can solve the problem.
Link Here.

They really need to get this sorted out.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 AM   #252
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
You knew it was coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
Two items.

First, people who've had the recall are continuing to report unintended accelerations: NY Times article.
The owner of a 2009 Camry said that on Feb. 25, two days after the car received the recall repair, it suddenly sped up and went into a ditch. The owner of a 2010 Camry repaired Feb. 12 wrote that the car accelerated into a snow bank five days later. Both drivers said they had tried to brake, but were unable to stop the car before going off the road.
My understanding is that these are based on reports to the NHTSA and have not yet been confirmed by that agency.

On a related note, Edmunds is offering a million bucks if you can solve the problem.
Link Here.

They really need to get this sorted out.
The reports are trickling in;

Toyota’s fix not working, some owners say - Autos- msnbc.com

The $.25 shim and the floormat thing are an insult to the Consumer. Looks like Toyota is going to have even more 'splainin to do!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #253
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
scam-o-rama
this guy owns a "suspect" toyota. he is way behind on his house payments. he drives into a jewelry store front and crashes into the nice glass counters. expensive jewelry is scattered everywhere, some finds it's way into his coat pocket. he sues Toyota for afore mentioned activity and wins a kazillion $$

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #254
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
scam-o-rama
this guy owns a "suspect" toyota. he is way behind on his house payments. he drives into a jewelry store front and crashes into the nice glass counters. expensive jewelry is scattered everywhere, some finds it's way into his coat pocket. he sues Toyota for afore mentioned activity and wins a kazillion $$
This guy owns a Chevy and the power steering goes wacky, or so he claims, and drives into a jewelry store…

This guy owns a Ford and he says the smoke from the cruise control fire obscured his vision and he drove in to the jewelry store…

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #255
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
scam-o-rama
Only in America...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #256

Waterford , Wisconsin
Lightbulb FJ Cruiser Owners...

Fellow FJ Cruiser Owners...

I finally found the new-style frameless wipers for the FJ Cruiser. Most aftermarket brands don't make a 14" in the new style that fits the center and right positions. The 'Trico NeoForm Beam Blade' is the ONLY one that comes in the 14" as well as 16" for the driver side. Came with removal and replacement instructions - easy install. They work great and look awesome. Got them online.

Hope this helps others...
Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #257
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
US has no faith in Toyota safety claims

House panel wants more Toyota acceleration details - Yahoo! News
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #258
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Runaway Toyota again!

Runaway Prius hits 90 mph before stopping with aid of CHP - latimes.com
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #259
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
2Air,

I agree with you. For those that want a Toyota this is the perfect time to purchase one. Maybe in two or three months there will be a plug and play drive by wire replacement recall, big deal. Less than an hour at the dealers. This whole thing has been blown so much out of proportion.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #260
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
2Air,

This whole thing has been blown so much out of proportion.
Unless your behind the wheel...