Old 05-05-2006, 06:31 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Rob, when I tow my 34' at 8,500 lbs with my 6.8l V10 Excursion I average 11-12 mpg towing. When I pull my 16' Scamp at 3,000 lbs with my Excursion, I get 12-14 mpg. When I pull my 16' Scamp with my 3.4l V6 Tundra, I get 14-15 mpg highway towing. I get about 17 mpg highway with the Tundra, and only about 12 city only.

Keep your V8. You'll lose a ton of power with a V6 and won't see a significant increase in gas mileage and it may be worse towing.

Roger

Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
False Economy?

Rob,
You may be obsessing over the wrong thing. You should be looking for the best towing performance and safe handling. With your trailer, a V-6 will deliver neither. And guess what? Since the V-6 will be underpowered for what you want it to do, you will use more gasoline not less. Been there, done that.

So, empty your fresh water holding tank as suggested. Get a flat panel TV. Get rid of the Univolt for an Intelpower converter, leave the sewing machine and breadmaker at home, etc.

Remember, adjusted for inflation, gasoline is still a bargain in the good ol' United States. Despite all the politically motivated grief they take, the oil companies are doing a great job exploring, drilling, transporting, refining, transporting, and ensuring that there is gasoline available to us just about anywhere we travel. Exxon-Mobile continues to make about 7.5 cents per gallon when all is said and done. You pay more than 50 cents in taxes on the same gallon.

So, quit obsessing, enjoy the trip, and be greatful that we live in such a great Nation. By the way, I have had a 23' a 27' and now a 31' Airstream. Fuel consumption towing the 23' was same as the 31.' Check this thread for more information: http://www.airforums.com/forum...wing+Mountains

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
<Maybe>

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Rob,
You may be obsessing over the wrong thing. You should be looking for the best towing performance and safe handling. With your trailer, a V-6 will deliver neither. And guess what? Since the V-6 will be underpowered for what you want it to do, you will use more gasoline not less. Been there, done that.
You might very well be right, right on.
My pickup, 03 GMC 4.8l is not holding up to the roads in Maine (4 tie rod ends replaced in less than 3 years) and the gas mileage stinks (15mpg). I was thinking about a V6 for the 25,000 miles and some good execution from Honda or Toyota. Just read about a 300 hp 4 cylinder production car.

I have time and a slick Airstream is my goal.

Was a little surprised when I found out that it only weighed 4110 dry.

R
Old 05-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
You might very well be right, right on.
My pickup, 03 GMC 4.8l is not holding up to the roads in Maine (4 tie rod ends replaced in less than 3 years) and the gas mileage stinks (15mpg). I was thinking about a V6 for the 25,000 miles and some good execution from Honda or Toyota. Just read about a 300 hp 4 cylinder production car.

I have time and a slick Airstream is my goal.

Was a little surprised when I found out that it only weighed 4110 dry.

R
The tie rod end problem is surprising; however GM suspension pieces have a history of under-engineering. I like Moog aftermarket parts. I've seen GM idler arms go out in 40,000 miles, for example, and the Moog replacement to last the next 200,000. My '04 Silverado 2500 diesel 4X4 has yet to have its first repair and I just rolled over 40,000 miles. 17 mpg in daily driving, 20 mpg on the highway (actual measure, not the computer).

It depends upon driving conditions and so forth, but I know several owners of Nissan, Toyota, Mazda pickups that do no better in daily driving - 15 mpg normal, 18 mpg max in highway driving. Again, just as in towing, the culprit is wind resistence. The aerodynamics of a pickup are lousy.

I'd weigh that Tradewind on a scale before I made any buying decisions. The 4110 lbs. is published weight, and those figures are notoriously optimistic.

You have a highly desirable coach, and the efforts you are making to make it better will doubtless pay off.

Mark
Old 05-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

There really is not room for a queen size bed in your Tradewind. You need walk-around space around the bed. By the time you get a center bath installed (IF you can find all the peices required) you'll have very little room left for the kitchen and lounge area. My recommendation is also to leave it as is and concentrate on not taking so much stuff with you. I've just finished some work on a '71 Overlander that was so full of glassware, dishes, silverware, kitchen and cleaning supplies to furnish a regular house, and TWO feather beds, that the axels were sagging. Radically modifying an Airstream like you're intending will reduce the resale value drastically and the amount of work you'll need to pour into it will never be repaid either in dollars or pleasure. If you must get a smaller tow vehicle, get a smaller trailer to go with it. Darol
Old 05-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Towing Weight Loss, Any Ideas?

I tow with a 1990 GMC RallySTX 3500 van, 350ci Throttlebody electronic fuel injection,700R4(4L60) Transmission,4:11 Positraction rear end.
With 9 teenage girls, their luggage for a 4 day weekend and two other adults (female) both ACs cranking I have gotton as good as 22 MPG(65 mph). Pulling a SOB, 5-7 MPG, pulling my 31 ft 84 Excella, 12 - 14 mpg(60-66 mph).
Keep this in mind, a semi tractor trailer generally has less than 400 hp but pulls over 60,000 of load through the mountains, usually not too fast.
My point, you dont have to gain speed going up a mountain grade, thats what the right lane was made for.
Take it easy, enjoy the ride. The guys that gain speed going up the mountain usually have dropped a large chunk of change in diesels or 454s or 460 etc. They like gas very much.
As long as the tv runs good, the transmission runs cool and the radiator keeps the water temperature within normal range, enjoy. Oh by the way, my van at 70 mph gets 14 mpg without the trailer.
Keep the engine in tune (good plugs, Engine computer managment system interagated occasionally, O2 sensor replaced on a regular basis, THERMOSTAT KEEPING THE WATER TEMPERATURE WITHIN RANGE FOR YOUR VEHICLE, and so on). This will help a grear deal. Also, keep your foot out of it.
This is what works for me.
just my two cents worth
Beginner
Old 06-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Cost of towing

Fastrob, I'm right with you. The cost of towing your home with you does cost. I tow with a 1968 Ford F100 4x4. I upgraded it last year by putting a 1993 Ford 5.0 fuel injected engine in the vehicle. I got everything form a 1993 Bronco; Engine, wiring, computer, 33 gallon gas tank. It originally had a 300 straight 6. With the old engine I got 11 mpg. With the new engine I get 22 mpg. However I tow at 50 to 55 mph. If I go faster the mileage drops to nothing. I also stay off the freeways. We are what is called Red Roaders. One of the great discoveries we have found is that at 55 you can see the road the country side and enjoy the journey. After all don't we go on vacation to escape our daily life. I know I'm old and getting older. However when I'm on the road and see someone with a huge new pickup and a 40 foot trailer going 70 miles an hour, I ask myself, Why. They can't be enjoying what they are doing. Well anyway that's my 2 cents. Thanks again for the good words.
Don
Old 06-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
.........With the old engine I got 11 mpg. With the new engine I get 22 mpg.......
Don
Are you saying you are getting 22mpg towing? If not what age you getting towing? and what are you towing?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
However when I'm on the road and see someone with a huge new pickup and a 40 foot trailer going 70 miles an hour, I ask myself, Why. They can't be enjoying what they are doing. Well anyway that's my 2 cents. Thanks again for the good words.
Don
Hi Don, So... you have seen my brother-in-law out on the road. LOL

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Are you saying you are getting 22mpg towing? If not what age you getting towing? and what are you towing?
I don't get 22mph while towing. It sure sounds like I said that. My speedo and odometer are on the wack at presten. I'm working on that now. Have a new trip coming up next week. Hopefully I will have better numbers. I towe a 1963 Bambi.
Don.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper
Hi Don, So... you have seen my brother-in-law out on the road. LOL
Yes, and mine too.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
Fast Rob,

I'm as thrift minded as anyone in this thread, but I don't think a few pounds here and a few there have that much worthwhile effect on total costs. In fact, unless you're on the road most of the time, the costs of adapting furniture, structure, etc. probably will never be regained. I just returned from a trip back to Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas and have fresh data on costs. My trailer weighs 8400 pounds on the scale at the Cokeville, Wyoming Flying J. My truck weighs right at 7000 pounds on the same scale, making a gross of well over 15000 pounds. We have a ton of books in the trailer and, contrary to most opinions, I always tow with a full tank of fresh water (I don't want to get caught short on good water).

Total miles driven 3726
Total miles solo 1476
Total miles towing 2250
Total gallons used 243
Average MPG overall 15.3
Highest MPG solo 18.6
Highest MPG towing 14.8
Highest price paid per gallon - $3.17 at Boise, Idaho
Lowest Price paid per gallon - $2.66 at Camden Point, Missouri
Total fuel cost - $672.39
Average fuel cost per mile overall 18 cents

If one drives 4000 miles at an average of 15 mpg and pays $3 per gallon for the fuel, he will spend $801. If he ups his mpg to 17 his cost for fuel would be $705, or $96 less. Now I'd rather have that money in my pocket than in the Oil Company's pocket, but at what cost in dollars or in comfort and convenience? Right now I'm not highly motivated to prune too far back to obtain a few dollars savings annually. That's just one man's humble opinion.

Gene
Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #27
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi genearnold--You said it right. Fuel cost differential between the best and worst fuel efficient TV that can adequately tow your A/S is small potatoes, compared to the really big items: depreciation, maintenance and repair. The only reason we get so hung up on fuel cost, is because we see cash going out of our pocket each week, to fill up. If you really want to save big on fuel cost, just stay home, but remember even when you are home deprecation just keeps ticking along. I'll pay for the fuel, and just keep enjoying all the freedom my A/S gives me.--Frank S
Old 06-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by genearnold
Fast Rob,

I'm as thrift minded as anyone in this thread, but I don't think a few pounds here and a few there have that much worthwhile effect on total costs. In fact, unless you're on the road most of the time, the costs of adapting furniture, structure, etc. probably will never be regained. I just returned from a trip back to Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas and have fresh data on costs.
............$$$......
Now I'd rather have that money in my pocket than in the Oil Company's pocket, but at what cost in dollars or in comfort and convenience? Right now I'm not highly motivated to prune too far back to obtain a few dollars savings annually. That's just one man's humble opinion.

Gene
Gene,

I agree with you 100%.
A little background, the wife's tuition and extras are about $20,000/year. The 3 teenagers are not cheap either when braces, food and clothes are considered. I am not complaining as they are the center of my life. The Airstream while important is not the highest priority. However while dreaming and scheming about the eventual renewal of our treasure I keep thinking about what will be the best for us. I crave simplicity, function and good looks.
This site has incredible artists, craftsmen and ideas. I love it!
The goal is to live on nothing but I know the government will tax me for the knowlege.
Thanks,
Rob