Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1961 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Aerowood is this event something you'll be able to get any pictures of. Sure have enjoyed those aerial views.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Not sure where the photos will be at, I will inquire though.

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Sunset Solar Eclipse Campground - Madras, Oregon

Magdalena & I will be arriving at the Sunset Solar Campground at Madras, Oregon on the afternoon of August 17. Anyone else going there? Stop by and introduce yourself. We will be coming down from Sequim, WA and are looking forward to a hot time on the high desert.

Magdalena has designed a commemorative T-Shirt showing an Airstream in the right eye of the sun.

You may check it out here:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...lipse-t-shirt/
Old 08-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
I started planning late (in May) and found an isolated place near Mitchell, OR on the OR 207, the Mitchell-Service Creek Highway (Hidden Springs). We are also going for the extremely dark skies (new moon) and so the isolation should mean less crowd and a place to camp. I've been alarmed at the projections and price gouging for established sites for places in eastern OR so we are leaving CA in the Thursday night prior. Kind of wished I booked a place at the Oregon Star Party months ago.

Will be looking for very scenic places to observe the eclipse, possibly at the Painted Hills Overlook nearby, but who knows, it could be on the side of the road depending on crowds. Will also try to look for a dispersed camping spot near the John Day River which could offer relief from the heat.

If anybody else has secured a good spot, I would love to hear.

Clears,

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Madras, Oregon- right on the center line, good climate and reasonable temperatures . . .
Are you in a campground, or boondocking?

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Blue Moon beer adds to the... event

I am up before sunrise, most days, and you may want to get a preview of what is coming...

The full moon is waining and you can see the collision course of Solar and Lunar movements. One towards the other. Every day you can see, even if your are NOT directly in the Total Eclipse route... you can follow the 'near miss' that is coming.

We have our 'Blue Moon beer' to celebrate a near miss, a partial eclipse or an evening in the woods, coming soon. One thing I have always noted on a partial eclipse is how the birds get quiet, the wind seems to ease up and the light is so different that you just want it to finish.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
BEND , Oregon
It is smokey as hell in Central Oregon! I can't even see the mountains today so be aware and bring lots of water 'cause it's hot and dusty!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
CBS News presented this morning that Electric Utilities are "bracing up" for the Solar Eclipse in the appropriate areas due to the expected SHORTCOMINGS to the "Grid" from the eclipse. It is estimated that the loss of Solar during the event will be equal to FIFTEEN COAL-FIRED generation plants, and the Grid will need to have that shortage made-up-for during the period.

I'm sitting smug (like a smart-azz) with my contractor generator.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have an invitation to mooch with friends near Greenville, SC.
I won't have the AS by then, and the dog is a complication, so I may stay home. But I'll be watching the weather and decide on Sunday morning.
I hate to miss it.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI-OH-AG View Post
It is smokey as hell in Central Oregon! I can't even see the mountains today so be aware and bring lots of water 'cause it's hot and dusty!
The way things are shaping up with wildfires in the west, this could be a real issue for eclipse viewing. It might add a special eeriness to the picture.

Here is a link to a map that shows the smoke conditions.
https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=...moke_wildfires
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #67
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I was unable to sign up for this rally last year, but some openings became available and I got a spot just this week, so I guess I will be seeing the eclipse too!
We will be there as well. Bringing guitars, popcorn and a good attitude...

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fairmont , Minnesota
I've been fortunate enough to see two other total eclipses and I'll be present for this one. But I have two family members who could drive to the center line of totality in a couple of hours and they have decided to stay home. I don't get it so I sent them this message...

I know we all have different priorities and interests and I also understand that my job is to run my life and not anyone else’s. But I want to give this one more shot.

The eclipse for most is a once in a lifetime event and it can be more than amazing. Don’t even think of comparing it to lunar eclipses or partial eclipses they are not the same. It is like comparing a bowl of grapenuts to a perfectly cooked, well-aged steak. It is like thinking about sex and actually having it. I can’t possibly explain it but there is a good reason that it scared the crap out aboriginals. It is an astronomical event with potentially profound emotional consequences.

If you are someone who enjoys nature, in awe of the shape of a tree, amazed at the wind blowing through the grass, the infinite variations of clouds, the silhouette of the mountains at sundown, then this is for you. If these things don’t stir you then stay home.

And don’t bother if you don’t get in the path of totality. The last 1% makes all the difference.

The one thing I have figured out is that life experiences take effort and are inconvenient. If you stay home it will be comfortable and easy and totally forgettable. If you go it may be a pain in the ass and the clouds may obscure the event but you also may also be amazed.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Well stated, Wesair.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, this might end up as one of those little signs in our Airstream.

Roy and Marie
Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
I've been fortunate enough to see two other total eclipses and I'll be present for this one. But I have two family members who could drive to the center line of totality in a couple of hours and they have decided to stay home. I don't get it so I sent them this message...

I know we all have different priorities and interests and I also understand that my job is to run my life and not anyone elseís. But I want to give this one more shot.

The eclipse for most is a once in a lifetime event and it can be more than amazing. Donít even think of comparing it to lunar eclipses or partial eclipses they are not the same. It is like comparing a bowl of grapenuts to a perfectly cooked, well-aged steak. It is like thinking about sex and actually having it. I canít possibly explain it but there is a good reason that it scared the crap out aboriginals. It is an astronomical event with potentially profound emotional consequences.

If you are someone who enjoys nature, in awe of the shape of a tree, amazed at the wind blowing through the grass, the infinite variations of clouds, the silhouette of the mountains at sundown, then this is for you. If these things donít stir you then stay home.

And donít bother if you donít get in the path of totality. The last 1% makes all the difference.

The one thing I have figured out is that life experiences take effort and are inconvenient. If you stay home it will be comfortable and easy and totally forgettable. If you go it may be a pain in the ass and the clouds may obscure the event but you also may also be amazed.
We all have our own priorities for differing reasons. I personally could care less about this event. Glad some of you are able to see it, most so you can say you were there, because it was the thing to do.