Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Madras, Oregon- right on the center line, good climate and reasonable temperatures . . .
Are you in a campground, or boondocking?

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Blue Moon beer adds to the... event

I am up before sunrise, most days, and you may want to get a preview of what is coming...

The full moon is waining and you can see the collision course of Solar and Lunar movements. One towards the other. Every day you can see, even if your are NOT directly in the Total Eclipse route... you can follow the 'near miss' that is coming.

We have our 'Blue Moon beer' to celebrate a near miss, a partial eclipse or an evening in the woods, coming soon. One thing I have always noted on a partial eclipse is how the birds get quiet, the wind seems to ease up and the light is so different that you just want it to finish.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
BEND , Oregon
It is smokey as hell in Central Oregon! I can't even see the mountains today so be aware and bring lots of water 'cause it's hot and dusty!
HI-OH-AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
CBS News presented this morning that Electric Utilities are "bracing up" for the Solar Eclipse in the appropriate areas due to the expected SHORTCOMINGS to the "Grid" from the eclipse. It is estimated that the loss of Solar during the event will be equal to FIFTEEN COAL-FIRED generation plants, and the Grid will need to have that shortage made-up-for during the period.

I'm sitting smug (like a smart-azz) with my contractor generator.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have an invitation to mooch with friends near Greenville, SC.
I won't have the AS by then, and the dog is a complication, so I may stay home. But I'll be watching the weather and decide on Sunday morning.
I hate to miss it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI-OH-AG View Post
It is smokey as hell in Central Oregon! I can't even see the mountains today so be aware and bring lots of water 'cause it's hot and dusty!
The way things are shaping up with wildfires in the west, this could be a real issue for eclipse viewing. It might add a special eeriness to the picture.

Here is a link to a map that shows the smoke conditions.
https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=...moke_wildfires
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #67
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I was unable to sign up for this rally last year, but some openings became available and I got a spot just this week, so I guess I will be seeing the eclipse too!
We will be there as well. Bringing guitars, popcorn and a good attitude...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
I've been fortunate enough to see two other total eclipses and I'll be present for this one. But I have two family members who could drive to the center line of totality in a couple of hours and they have decided to stay home. I don't get it so I sent them this message...

I know we all have different priorities and interests and I also understand that my job is to run my life and not anyone else’s. But I want to give this one more shot.

The eclipse for most is a once in a lifetime event and it can be more than amazing. Don’t even think of comparing it to lunar eclipses or partial eclipses they are not the same. It is like comparing a bowl of grapenuts to a perfectly cooked, well-aged steak. It is like thinking about sex and actually having it. I can’t possibly explain it but there is a good reason that it scared the crap out aboriginals. It is an astronomical event with potentially profound emotional consequences.

If you are someone who enjoys nature, in awe of the shape of a tree, amazed at the wind blowing through the grass, the infinite variations of clouds, the silhouette of the mountains at sundown, then this is for you. If these things don’t stir you then stay home.

And don’t bother if you don’t get in the path of totality. The last 1% makes all the difference.

The one thing I have figured out is that life experiences take effort and are inconvenient. If you stay home it will be comfortable and easy and totally forgettable. If you go it may be a pain in the ass and the clouds may obscure the event but you also may also be amazed.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Well stated, Wesair.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, this might end up as one of those little signs in our Airstream.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesair View Post
I've been fortunate enough to see two other total eclipses and I'll be present for this one. But I have two family members who could drive to the center line of totality in a couple of hours and they have decided to stay home. I don't get it so I sent them this message...

I know we all have different priorities and interests and I also understand that my job is to run my life and not anyone else’s. But I want to give this one more shot.

The eclipse for most is a once in a lifetime event and it can be more than amazing. Don’t even think of comparing it to lunar eclipses or partial eclipses they are not the same. It is like comparing a bowl of grapenuts to a perfectly cooked, well-aged steak. It is like thinking about sex and actually having it. I can’t possibly explain it but there is a good reason that it scared the crap out aboriginals. It is an astronomical event with potentially profound emotional consequences.

If you are someone who enjoys nature, in awe of the shape of a tree, amazed at the wind blowing through the grass, the infinite variations of clouds, the silhouette of the mountains at sundown, then this is for you. If these things don’t stir you then stay home.

And don’t bother if you don’t get in the path of totality. The last 1% makes all the difference.

The one thing I have figured out is that life experiences take effort and are inconvenient. If you stay home it will be comfortable and easy and totally forgettable. If you go it may be a pain in the ass and the clouds may obscure the event but you also may also be amazed.
We all have our own priorities for differing reasons. I personally could care less about this event. Glad some of you are able to see it, most so you can say you were there, because it was the thing to do.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #71
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
most so you can say you were there, because it was the thing to do.
Quite a blanket statement!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Angry Hotel Greed

It seems that a number of hotels in Oregon, Idaho, North Carolina and elsewhere are cancelling reservations made months ago for the August 20-21 time frame. Then they are doubling the regular rate for the rooms.

I got 2 nights at a Corps of Engineers CG that's in the path for $20. It was the last site available and I made that reservation in June. It may be the worst site in the CG, but it's mine.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #73

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
It seems that a number of hotels in Oregon, Idaho, North Carolina and elsewhere are cancelling reservations made months ago for the August 20-21 time frame. Then they are doubling the regular rate for the rooms.

I got 2 nights at a Corps of Engineers CG that's in the path for $20. It was the last site available and I made that reservation in June. It may be the worst site in the CG, but it's mine.
Oy, that sounds like a mess with the hotels. I'd heard rumors of people reselling hotel reservations for ludicrous rates ($1k/night in prime locations) but that's total hearsay as far as I can prove. We vastly overpaid for our campsites on Casper Mountain, but they're at 7900 feet and reserved through the city specifically for the eclipse, 5-night minimum. We reserved the sites in January, and at the time I didn't imagine there'd be the level of interest that has developed recently. I frankly couldn't care less if it's "the thing to do" or if people think the only reason to go and observe a natural event is because someone else did. I'm sure some can't be bothered to see the Grand Canyon or Glacier National Park because someone else thinks "it's the thing to do."

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I'm OK with people who don't care to see the eclipse. Less traffic on the roads.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #75

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
This has been a "Thing to do" ever since I was a little kid when my mom told me about the one she saw as a kid 75+ years ago. My 86 year old mother still talks about it. A friend of mine was named Firseen. One day I asked him where did your name come from. It was then I learned his middle name was Eclipse.

As I said to my wife a couple of years ago, "I'm going to see the eclipse in Oregon, want to come along?"

For me, this is 50+ year old childhood dream coming true.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
Wildfire smoke coverage?

We will be in Casper Wyoming for this big event. We purchased 50 pair of ISO certified cardboard viewing glasses, as I know there will be some folks who won't have any and will likely risk their sight regardless -- I've seen what folks will do during past events. The 7-11 convenience stores around here are selling these same glasses for $2.99, well above their $0.50 cost.

Making a pin-hole viewer, though, is satisfactory, and relatively easy; punch a "pinhole" in a piece of paper or lightweight cardboard, face away from the sun with the eclipsed sun over your shoulder and shine the pinhole onto another piece of white paper and you'll have an excellent example of what's going on. You may not see the visible stars and planets, but you'll see the eclipse.

THE BIG QUESTION to us, is what is the wildfire smoke going to do to the whole event? We hope folks will be posting updates for the CASPER area, as well as other areas across the country. Lots of folks in the East will be wondering too, about cloud cover, and expected cloud cover -- east of the Appalachians versus west of the Appalachians. Thanks for anything you can surmise!

Carry On!
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEEER View Post
THE BIG QUESTION to us, is what is the wildfire smoke going to do to the whole event? We hope folks will be posting updates for the CASPER area, as well as other areas across the country. Lots of folks in the East will be wondering too, about cloud cover, and expected cloud cover -- east of the Appalachians versus west of the Appalachians. Thanks for anything you can surmise!
One option you might look at to assess the smoke situation are the Department of Transportation web cameras. They're all throughout Wyoming, though one of them in Casper seems to not be working. I suspect other states will have web cams too. http://www.wyoroad.info/Highway/webc...ebcameras.html

Today, 100 miles north of Casper, there is a mild haze in the sky. But it's not too bad. The fire situation in Wyoming this year is quite a bit better than some other states. We got quite a lot of snow and rain this last Winter and Spring, so there is a big fuel load out there, and therefore, the fire conditions could change a lot in the next 10 days.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Those heading to Oregon

Local Oregonian here, anyone going to Oregon (especially any rural spot that is in the path of totality) area should really be sure to stock up on all supplies in advance...and likely expect hellish lines at any dump stations, gas stations, etc. Don't forget, if you are driving a gas TV we have full service gas only...you cannot pump your own. They just passed on exception to this to allow unattended self-serve in rural areas after hours though. If you have a diesel TV, then you can insist to pump it yourself if you really wish to. When busy it can take a little longer to get the pump started and for them to unhook you when done.

Please also practice extreme caution with any flames, cigarettes, or otherwise combustible items. We have had a very hot and very dry summer.

"In two weeks Madras will be taken over by eclipse viewers, as 100,000 people are expected to visit the small farming town of just over 6,000."
http://katu.com/features/total-eclip...00000-visitors

Our news paper has "Ranked" locations based on % of totality and they also list the current predicted risk of cloud cover: http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2...incart_m-rpt-2
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
another Oregon resident

and PLEASE if you are in Oregon, headed for Oregon, or know people in Oregon, read this one:
http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/20...t_parking.html

I worked in the world of wildland fire for about 15 years. YOU DO NOT WANT TO PLAN ON TRAVELING ON ANY OREGON ROADS between Saturday and Wednesday, anywhere close to that totality path. Just don't. I messaged my son this afternoon:
"DO MAKE SURE about Friday or so you have enough stuff in the house (food, extra water, dogfood, etc etc) and your van gassed up (preferably Wed. or Thu. -- full tank) so you do not have to go anywhere for several days -- like about Friday through the following Wednesday. Seriously, if you have to drive anywhere at all, you might be majorly screwed."

OTOH if you really want to see the eclipse in Oregon, here ya go:
http://www.oregonlive.com/eclipse/20...ituations.html
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Oregon road cams

For the eclipse days, but really for any day. Oregon road cams:
https://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp#

RE: what the wildfire smoke is likely to do to the view of the eclipse? I'd bet a year's pay it will make the sun red, with incredible colored haze.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote