Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Tornado damage to forum friends?

We are just checking in to see about our forum friends in yesterday's and last night's tornado paths. So many of you in your avatar signatures indicate that you live in Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and Kentucky that we worry that you, your families, neighbors, and friends may have received property damage or physical harm,...or squished Airstreams! Please report in here if you have any information to share with us, good or bad. Concerned, ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I've been wondering the same. Chattanooga proper didn't get any direct tornado hits, but did have some serious wind in spots. However, we did have some victims from other areas brought to our trauma center.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
CLARKSVILLE , Tennessee
The DW and I came through the storms all-right here in Clarksville TN. but we had tornados occuring just to the North, South, East and West of us from 7pm to after 11pm yesterday. It seems that Sumner and Macon counties in Tennessee just to the East of us had the most sever storm damage. The local news media has reported at least 15 deaths occured in those two counties so far with 10 to 15 people still missing. Massive property damage has occured from Memphis to 50 miles northeast of Nashville with total state reported storm related deaths approaching 30. Hopefully this will be the worst weather that our mid-state area will experience as we near traditionally volatile spring weather. Camper Dave
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet I was lucky.

I only had some debris and skirting from a neighbor’s mobile home blow into my yard. No damage, myself. All straight line wind here.

A little north and further west along I40 at Atkins, incredible devastation. The path ran northeast from there, 100 miles toward the Missouri bootheel.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Same as Vaughan (we're only 20 miles down the road from him) except we had rotation OVER OUR HOUSE but no touchdowns. I was out on errands that night and freaked out when I got to the truck and heard them say that! Brad was home and said everything was fine, whew.

Thanks for thinking of all of us!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
What relief to hear that you were so near, but were spared the worst of the violence. Thanks for letting us know how you are. We have spent some terrifying hours during tornado outbreaks in the past, so we know what you were going through. What a devastating experience for those in the path. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Oh, I know! That must be horrible. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
High winds, much rain and a little small hail in Tullahoma, TN. northwest of Chattanooga. No damage around the house or trailer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Good to hear from those of your who weathered the storms. Been through it and not much fun. I say that while admiting in Oklahome we did a lot of spotting but always hoped for the best. I suppose it just gave us a false feeling of control...knowing which way the tiger was jumping made you feel safer...as long as it was jumping away from you!
Our prayer our out for all who were affected...and that it turns out is many!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Well the kids and I weathered out the storms unders some 2x4's with a mattress on top of the lumber in the pantry. We played Trouble while the storms were coming through and listened on my emergency storm radio. We survived intact, lot of debree around the yard the only casualty was the Argosy, which stinks but it's better than any of us getting hurt. A basketball pole was blown around evidently and then blown over connectuing with the rear upper corner of the Argosy. I've already removed most of the dent and feel confident I can get the rest out and then I will have to repaint that area again. Gotta love that Gloss Ivory004 Krylon.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
Well the kids and I weathered out the storms unders some 2x4's with a mattress on top of the lumber in the pantry. We played Trouble while the storms were coming through and listened on my emergency storm radio. We survived intact, lot of debree around the yard the only casualty was the Argosy, which stinks but it's better than any of us getting hurt. A basketball pole was blown around evidently and then blown over connectuing with the rear upper corner of the Argosy. I've already removed most of the dent and feel confident I can get the rest out and then I will have to repaint that area again. Gotta love that Gloss Ivory004 Krylon.
Glad that was the only damage if there had to be any at all. What a scary thing to have to hide in the pantry. Let's hope that's the worst that happened to any of our Airstreaming friends (and everyone else of course)

Barry
Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
When we were at the Airstream Dealer in Cookeville Tennessee there was a 30' with damage. The sales person said the trailer belonged to a full-timer who was caught in the tornado. She said he was in the Airstream when he heard "the train coming" and did not have time to make it to the bath house. He told her he got down on the floor and pulled the mattress off the bed and got under it. A tree blew over onto the trailer. He told the sales person he could feel the trailer trying to lift up, but the tree obviously held it down. I didn't walk over and take a close look at the Airstream, but there did not appear to be a great deal of damage.
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Tornados just missed us here in Hernando, MS. All went east and west with two going over us, touching down just north. No damage here. I haven't heard of any damage to fellow streamers in the area. Gene Morris of Airstream of Arkansas reported some damage to three new ones on his lot, however.
Appreciate your concerns.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
Rough Night

When I was a teenager our Explorer Post was sponcered by the local Civil Defence. In the days before Doppler Radar we would go to the Western most area of our county get up on the levee and report back by CB radio if we spotted a tornado. When we got up tuesday morning the weather
report was predicting a severe outbreak with long tracking tornados. My how times have changed in 40 years. We took the prediction to heart. We left work early and made our preperations. When our son designed our house we built a "hiddy hole" into the house. We took a 12volt battery, a 500 watt inverter, a compact florescent drop light, radio, water, dog bed for Honey and pillows for ourselves. When doppler radar indicated us in the track of a cell with rotating tendency we went to the shelter and listened as the tornado passed 1/4 mile from the house. Needless to say it was a long instant and it was passed. We lost a few locust trees and had storm debris from the first hit some 30 miles away. All in all we were very lucky and give thanks for the advances in technology that allowed us to prepare for this storm. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who lost so much more.
Cottonboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
just another spring time day

Glad to hear you folks missed the bad weather. I just reinsured all our "stuff" getting ready for the Spring weather. Our friends in Europe should look at this with amazement...........I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas Springtime.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	54206  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Holy smokes, that's quite the picture Melody Ranch.

So now we know when we see one like that to high tail it elsewhere real fast.

Up here on the west coast we know we are in trouble when we start seeing white caps on the waves in our Latte's.

Barry
Old 02-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Hate to hijack a thread but we are in it now - we're are under a tornado WARNING on the MS and LA Gulf Coast that takes us well into tonight. Looks real bad outside. I'm at work but will drive home in the stuff. Glad I drive a F250 4X4....... Say what you want, but it comes in real handy sometimes.

Amazing photo Melody Ranch. Don't like to see them in person but the photos are great.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Our thoughts are with you Michael. Safe trip home and hope this latest just goes away.

Barry
Old 02-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Thanks, but I have a few hours before I drive home and I'm in a secure building so I can hang out here for a while. Hummmm, those Katina MRE's under my desk may just be the ticket for a meal.....

Radar here looks bad - and the warning sirens are going off all over the county. The NOAA radio at home is squealing like a stuck pig.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote