Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Tornado

This is my first time on since the tornado last week. Our neighborhood was hit by two tornados. One was an F5. Not sure of the second ones category. There are 28 homes in the subdivision. All but 4 were destroyed. There are many more in North Alabama in this condition. Fortunately we only had one injury in our s/d. Our house, car and truck were totaled. The AS was in storage and not touched by the storm. It is very encouraging that so many people in the county have pulled together to help those impacted. On one day we had 30 or more people in our yard helping to clean up. Every one of the trees were uprooted and the chainsaws were going! We even had a church group from Indiana helping out. FEMA finally declared Limestone and Madison counties a disaster area. For some reason we didn't rate since the death rate wasn't as high as some areas even though the damage was as bad. Oh well, better late than never.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Jeez...I don't even know what to say except that at least everyone is okay and you didn't get hurt. Hopefully the insurance process won't take too long and you guys can collectively start to rebuild your lives!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I sure am glad your family is OK

I have been fortunate with storms. Missed 'em all even thought they are always close. Is there anything, and I mean it, anything, you all need to get you through the next few months? Please lets us know.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Yikes! Sorry to hear of your and so many others losses. At least you still have your AS to act as temporary housing. We watched the big tornado come from Tuscaloosa towards us on the southeast corner of Birmingham when it veered north. Then last weekend we camped at Wind Creek only to find the Kowaliga end of Lake Martin closed due to tornado damage and body recovery. Hang in there!
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are very sorry to hear about your loss and disruption of your life. I can hardly image how empty you must feel. At least your Airstream was spared and you will have someplace familiar to stay. We are glad to hear that you and your family are safe.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I'm very happy that y'all had no injuries. I'm sorry for the loss of your house and belongings. It is a really bad deal. Unfortunately I know the feeling. When I was growing up in Iowa as a young boy our farm was hit by a tornado. The only thing left was the garage and the house. I wish you the best. Take care!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Steve,
Glad you and yours are ok, but sorry to hear of your loss of property. We missed the full impact of the Tuscaloosa/Birmingham storm by about a mile. Total devastation within walking distance of my home. We are fortunate to only have a little bit of roof damage which is so negligible in comparison. My home town of Cullman is also devastated - heart breaking to watch all the coverage there. Send me a PM if there is anything we can do to help you. I am only about 70 miles away.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I am very sorry to hear that. I am glad no one was hurt in your subdivision. Such loss on a huge scale is hard to comprehend fully. I hope that efforts continue and that your process of rebuilding continues rapidly to bring you closer to having your home again and that the disater area volunteers continue to reach out and assist as you all sort through the tremendous clean-up and restructuring.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Steve and Beth, lost a house once to a fire. So surreal -- I remember noticing the little things first that were gone -- my toothbrush, my makeup, even my coffee cup. It's life changing for sure. I'm glad to hear so many people are there to help you rebuild. We're complete strangers, but would be glad to help in any way that we can. If you have puppies that need dog food, cats that need treats, a new bed, etc., we'd be glad to help there too!
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Wow, that is so terrible. We barely escaped the tornados in St. Louis. They hit within a mile of our house and a block of my parents'. Are you staying in the AS or in a hotel? What a nightmare. You are in our prayers. Kindest wishes, T
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Steve & Beth - I can only repeat Melody Ranch's offer ~ If there is anything this community can do to help & support you & your family thru this horror, please let us know.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Immediately two things come to mind here..

1. I am so sorry to hear about all the devastation and loss of personal property to your family. Obviously we are thankful that nobody was hurt and that in itself is amazing!

2. Im so proud to be part of this awesome online community where people are so genuine and offer more then gestures of comfort but are willing to assist in anyway possible. Goes to show that Airstreams are only part of whats going on here...

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
We had tornado's here in Oxford. I had 3 good friends lose their houses. The eagerness of folks to come in and help was so uplifting in a time when so much was lost. Local churches and individuals here were wonderful. Glad you were OK. So many lost so much more. Events like this put many things into perspective. It reminded me of just how unimportant our "stuff" is when compared to life.
We were fine and had no damage.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways
Steve and Beth, lost a house once to a fire. So surreal -- I remember noticing the little things first that were gone -- my toothbrush, my makeup, even my coffee cup. It's life changing for sure. I'm glad to hear so many people are there to help you rebuild. We're complete strangers, but would be glad to help in any way that we can. If you have puppies that need dog food, cats that need treats, a new bed, etc., we'd be glad to help there too!
Our 15 year old Golden survived. We're still looking for three cats.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1
Wow, that is so terrible. We barely escaped the tornados in St. Louis. They hit within a mile of our house and a block of my parents'. Are you staying in the AS or in a hotel? What a nightmare. You are in our prayers. Kindest wishes, T
We're with relatives this week. As soon as the ins co gives ok we plan to relocate to temporary housing.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #16

1970 31' Sovereign
Helena , Alabama
tornado

First time on the site probably will need a little help. I have lost my rig in the tornado that hit Pleasant Grove. My Grandfather purchased the Airsteam new in 1970. I restored it in 1995, spend about 8k on the restoration. New flooring, frig, hotwater tank, new seals, curtians, couch, all piping, and faucets. The NADA has the camper listed at $1250.00. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle with Insurance company.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	129089   Click image for larger version

Name:	air2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	129090  

Click image for larger version

Name:	air4.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	129091   Click image for larger version

Name:	air3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	129092  

NeptunesNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
aa', glad to hear you are ok, the dog is ok, the cats hopefully have 9 lives, and the Airstream is ok.

We don't get tornados, earthquakes and hurricanes here, blizzards seem normal, but forest fires scare me. So, we have contemplated that type of disaster, but never having had to deal with that or other such destruction, I can't really understand what's it's like. But when my farther died, I was worried that I wouldn't know what to do (my mother was helpless), but I did and found the strength to deal with everything. That taught me on a personal level most of us have that strength to get through rough times and I believe you will too.

Neptunes', NADA is well known to price trailers low. Check classifieds on the Forum, do a search on the internet for Airstreams, and print everything that you can to show the insurance adjuster.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Steve and Beth - so sorry to hear of your devastating news and you'll be in our thoughts.

Neptunes - welcome to the forums even under such trying conditions. As for your rig's loss, try to find any pictures and documentation about your rig and then search here for comparables. If you have replacement coverage (or even if you don't), begin your search for a rig similar to yours and document the prices being asked and paid.

Good luck to you all.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Steve and Beth and NUPTUNES NOOK
Sorry for your loss. We are glad you were not hurt. Steve and Beth at least you have a home although not the same it is familuar. Best of luck to you and your Golden.
NUPTUNES NOOK
I know this is a destivating loss to you because of the pure fact it was your Grandfathers and all your hard work is gone. THINGS can be replaced,people never can. BEST OF LUCK to you.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
My son went to the area with Home Depot to help out with supplies. He said that seeing it in person is 100 times worse than seeing it on TV. He came home emotionally drained as well as physically tired.