Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1
Wow, that is so terrible. We barely escaped the tornados in St. Louis. They hit within a mile of our house and a block of my parents'. Are you staying in the AS or in a hotel? What a nightmare. You are in our prayers. Kindest wishes, T
We're with relatives this week. As soon as the ins co gives ok we plan to relocate to temporary housing.

07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #16

1970 31' Sovereign
Helena , Alabama
tornado

First time on the site probably will need a little help. I have lost my rig in the tornado that hit Pleasant Grove. My Grandfather purchased the Airsteam new in 1970. I restored it in 1995, spend about 8k on the restoration. New flooring, frig, hotwater tank, new seals, curtians, couch, all piping, and faucets. The NADA has the camper listed at $1250.00. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle with Insurance company.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	129089   Click image for larger version

Name:	air2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	129090  

Name:	air4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	129091   Click image for larger version

Name:	air3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	129092  

Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
aa', glad to hear you are ok, the dog is ok, the cats hopefully have 9 lives, and the Airstream is ok.

We don't get tornados, earthquakes and hurricanes here, blizzards seem normal, but forest fires scare me. So, we have contemplated that type of disaster, but never having had to deal with that or other such destruction, I can't really understand what's it's like. But when my farther died, I was worried that I wouldn't know what to do (my mother was helpless), but I did and found the strength to deal with everything. That taught me on a personal level most of us have that strength to get through rough times and I believe you will too.

Neptunes', NADA is well known to price trailers low. Check classifieds on the Forum, do a search on the internet for Airstreams, and print everything that you can to show the insurance adjuster.

Gene
Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Steve and Beth - so sorry to hear of your devastating news and you'll be in our thoughts.

Neptunes - welcome to the forums even under such trying conditions. As for your rig's loss, try to find any pictures and documentation about your rig and then search here for comparables. If you have replacement coverage (or even if you don't), begin your search for a rig similar to yours and document the prices being asked and paid.

Good luck to you all.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Steve and Beth and NUPTUNES NOOK
Sorry for your loss. We are glad you were not hurt. Steve and Beth at least you have a home although not the same it is familuar. Best of luck to you and your Golden.
NUPTUNES NOOK
I know this is a destivating loss to you because of the pure fact it was your Grandfathers and all your hard work is gone. THINGS can be replaced,people never can. BEST OF LUCK to you.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
My son went to the area with Home Depot to help out with supplies. He said that seeing it in person is 100 times worse than seeing it on TV. He came home emotionally drained as well as physically tired.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Our hear goes out to all who were affected by those deadly tornatos. Gayle & I were visiting my sister in Ellijay,Ga last week. Our AS was at the Plum Nelly RV park. Two days before the breakout we over nighted on a Walmart parking lot in Birimgham before arriving in Ellijay. On Wednesday we vacated the AS for the safety of my sister's home with a basement. That evening we were glued to the TV until the wee hours of the morning. How we were spared we will never know. Those storms either passed to the North or the South of us with the closest one being the one which hit Ringgold, GA. Thursday we departed Ellijay for TCPC in Crossville,TN. Our route took us by Ringgold and words and pictures can not describe what we saw.

We know that if my sisters home had taken a direct hit we would not be here today and that thought ran through our minds many times during the storms. We just knew all of them would miss us. Some how they did and we are grateful. It was our closest encounter with tornado's.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #22

1970 31' Sovereign
Helena , Alabama
Tornado

Thanks to everyone on the response... I was in the process of pulling pic's from previous trips and looking in the classifieds. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Finding cats

Maybe you've tried this, but I'll suggest it just in case.

Put out cat food as close as possible to a location your cats find familiar, and then wait and observe--maybe with a remote camera like hunters use these days. Frightened cats tend to hide, and it may be several days before they come out, even to eat.

Sorry for your loss. Best of luck with the cleanup and rebuild.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just saw the photos; I am sick. I think everyone can see their trailer in the twisted aluminum. So sorry about your Airstream, but sounds like you survived OK.

Hopefully, insurance will replace the "things" that were lost, but nothing can replace the lost lives.

Our thoughts and prayers to those who were injured or lost loved ones...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
au_ee and NeptunesNook - I am so sorry for what you're having to go through, yet so glad you were not injured. What a devastating loss. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Gaylejoe - you were in the right place at the right time! Glad you're okay.
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Photos of tornado damage. They determined a F5 hit our neighborhood followed by a second about 15 min later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3850759329.png
Views:	78
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	129324   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3752777186.png
Views:	72
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	129325  

Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Maybe you've tried this, but I'll suggest it just in case.

Put out cat food as close as possible to a location your cats find familiar, and then wait and observe--maybe with a remote camera like hunters use these days. Frightened cats tend to hide, and it may be several days before they come out, even to eat.

Sorry for your loss. Best of luck with the cleanup and rebuild.
Good news. Beth has seen all three of her cats. But it is difficult to spot them on a regular basis. We need to collect them before the demolition crew comes in. Once the house is gone and with the trees already gone they may no longer recognize the lot as where they belong.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Leadville(for now) , Colorado
OUCH!! I feel for Ya...Just be thankful You survived--the other things can be replaced in ways.

I have Family in Your area of the South--that felt the effects of a tornado(loss of life)...Sad.

I'm gonna re-think complaining about SNOW...Like CrawfordGene said...the only other issue We have to deal with on a Nature Side of things is Fire here in Colorado(in the Moutains).

Best Wishes for You!
Christopher