Old 09-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Tornado...

Hi Guys....
Guess U all kn MORE than me abt the east coast tornado, headin up N/C to N/Y ?...
Jus wonderin here, any of U guys movin on outta there right now, what U doin abt Yr A/S-M/H...r they covered by acts of God in these types of cases....
Hope it do'nt come to anything, n jus blows out b4 she hits the coast...
Thinkin of U all...Chris.....

Old 09-16-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hey Chris,

We were down at the Outer Banks of NC last week. Really big waves and alot of wind. The small island of Ocracoke, NC was evacuated yesterday 9/15 and the larger Island of Hatteras is being evacuated today. BTW it is called a hurricane b/c it is over water. We are watching the storm closely b/c it is heading toward our town Richmond, VA.
Will keep you posted.

Abe

Old 09-16-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Tornado...

Quote:
Originally posted by canny_banjo_man
Hi Guys....
Guess U all kn MORE than me abt the east coast tornado, headin up N/C to N/Y ?...
Jus wonderin here, any of U guys movin on outta there right now, what U doin abt Yr A/S-M/H...r they covered by acts of God in these types of cases....
Hope it do'nt come to anything, n jus blows out b4 she hits the coast...
Thinkin of U all...Chris.....
Tonado's wipe out trailer parks and 1 stop light towns and last 5 minutes. That thing is a Hurricane and it can take out 100 miles of coast line and cause flooding for weeks.

Good news is it is down in strength...bad news is it is still headed for land.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Hi there,

we were at the AS park near Cape May, NJ this we. Many folks there were packing their trailers early for the winter because of the hurricane and moving them into the field away from trees!

Hope they'll all be well. They're all great Airstreamers!

lots of luck
Old 09-17-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re-Weather...

Hi Guys....
Yep U right 'bout it being a Hurricane, I guess I kinda had a too long of a day at work, an jus could not recall what it was, SORRY...
Any how, us guys over here hope it blows out b4 it harms anyone, an 4 U guys in it's path...what can I say, only stafe safe...an our prayers r with U ...
Over here we don't realy get that kinda thing, so I guess it is hard for me 2 take on board first hand, we once had a awsome down pour at " Sea World " in '94, our hire van had water 1 foot ABOVE the door bottom, but being Brits...it NEVER bothered us, as we get a L O T of rain, an it was STILL in the mid '70s heat wise...quite cool an exciting 4 us...paddlin in HOT water...(lol)..I kn it is NOT any laughing matter this comin storm, but I can't work out why they mostly drop in on that side of the States...???...
Hope everyone who is leaving has already gone, an as I say our hearts r with U guys, on this one...
Stay lucky...'n safe...Chris.....
Old 09-17-2003, 11:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
I am in Washington, D.C. and awaiting....

the big blow. However, the storm savely by-passed Georgia where my Airstream is parked. The storm reminds me of something I saw the last time I drove through the big Airstream park in Melbourne, Florida. I believe it is named something like Landyacht Haven? Regardless, it is located on Rodes Boulevard, and probably has 300 or more Airstreams permanently parked there. It seems every unit is at least 25+ feet in length. Every one of them is parked on a concrete slab and chained at all four corners to the pad. This is obviously to combat high winds associated with tropical storms. It has me thinking, however. Has anyone on this forum had I-bolts connected to the frames of the trailers in order to chain them down?
Old 09-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re-Wind...

Hi Joe...
R U workin in D/C ...or on vacation?, U think those chains will hold those classic beauties...r they like those TWISTER things, I saw the film an at Universal Orlando, awsome, very, very scarey, wonder why they pick on that part of Fl: !!!...
Must like 2 pick on folk around that area....so sad, seems 2 me that although a great place 4a vacation, a bad one 4 the storms...still if it's of any use 2U out there, Yr all in our prayers...
Stay safe...Chris.....
Old 09-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Chris..........

thank you for your prayers from across the big pond. I am sure there will be many souls who need prayer when this thing comes ashore. I should be safe and sound however. I work in Washington and commute home every weekend. No end to what people will do in order to afford Airstreams, fishing boats, and the trucks that pull them!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Re: Commuter

Quote:
Originally posted by joe hall
I work in Washington and commute home every weekend. No end to what people will do in order to afford Airstreams, fishing boats, and the trucks that pull them!
Aha! I KNEW you were a congressman, Joe!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Will try to keep updated while we still have power...
As of noon 9/18 Richmond VA has power, but we are on track for 40-60 mph winds... Not good for a town with alot of BIG trees... VA beach has already lost power so we are close.... Boy do I wish we already had our Honda 2000....

Abe

PS thanks for the prayers also!!!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:50 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Flying Cloud.......

I am not a congressman, but I have about the same schedule. I am government relations for a Florida Fortune 1000 company. I do the same thing for the company that I did for the Army my last 5 years of active duty - congressional relations. My late mother, God rest her, had appreciation for my Service years, but was agitated when I told her I was retiring in order to work for a big firm in "government relations." She kept trying to pin me down on exactly what that meant. I kept trying to dodge the "L" word. When she finally squeezed the word lobbyist out of me, her reaction was "Ohhhhh, Joey!" I now just tell people I am a piano player in a house of ill repute, as the connotation seems to get more respect!
Old 09-18-2003, 12:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Oh Gosh !!!......

Hi all...
I jus caught our 6pm news, an cn the damage already bein done by the 100mph+ winds, an the Navy moved out a lot of sea-iron...as it heads out up 2 washington way...looks awsome, bit scarey an yet curious...
2b honest I don't think I would cope with a thing like that hangin on my doorstep...not knowin what or when 2 expect the worst...but I guess an hope U guys r prepared 4 it...
Vajeep...hang on in there, or better still get the h**l outa there...honda or no honda...
We all thinkin an prayin 4 ya all...
Stay safe...good luck...Chris.....
Old 09-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Saw the news briefly yesterday, (I think) showing some of the force and the water moving in. They showed high water around several campers. It was up to the level of the floors. Although it was of "SOB" I still felt the pain!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:18 PM   #14
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
water...(lol)..I kn it is NOT any laughing matter this comin storm, but I can't work out why they mostly drop in on that side of the States...???...

Chris, it has to do with the temperature of the water,and the wind blowing this stuff at us from the West coast of Africa.
Then the steering winds from the high and low pressure systems tend to move them along the coast.
The closest I could compare a hurricane to, in your little corner of the world, would be a North Sea storm. Those also are not high on my list of things to rush into the middle of.
Terry
(in Florida)