Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
My 2 cents.The forums kinda remind me of "Aol chat" If you've been on here forever and know everyone,your the "in" crowd.If not when you make a comment (post) you some times get cute little snide (smart a*s) remarks posted back your direction.The word games seem to be for the "in crowd" type folks.I think to keep their minds active ....

Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I've never received a snide remark from anyone here. I'm not in the "in" crowd, nor do I play the games. If you don't like them, don't play them! I've found the people on this site to be extremely helpful in my quest to restore my Airstream.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I'm done researching vulkem sealants and opinions of hitches for the day. It must be game time! Where's my beer and mouse?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Now that even this thread has started to trade quips back and forth let me say something to start the pot boiling again.

Social Interaction has always predominated on these forums. I joined about 18,000 members ago. In those days the arguments were about whether the CCD would doom the Airstream company.

Nobody here has even suggested that the Forum be limited to technical subjects.

What some members were objecting to is the sudden proliferation of jokes and puzzles that have nothing to do with Airstreaming.

Neither is anyone here against the “pay for clicks” advertising model supporting this forum.

The owner probably built this into a business because the Forum has been useful to a lot of people.

Advertisers are not interested in clicks so much as they are in SALES.

If the “meaningless” or “pointless” threads mentioned by Terry take over the people asking serious questions and seeking serious answers will move along.

So will the advertisers

Sergei
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Sergei, I love reading your restoration thread. I have never seen anything as grand and well thought out as that. But since I have little to contribute technically I like to play around. It's all friendly. I know I should have jumped in the Pamela thread but the guys were having so much fun didn't want to intrude as I would not wish to intrude in a technical thread, but as I am still here... I really don't think that the forums will be taken over by the non technical, but games are not meaningless or pointless. No one has said technical or Airstream threads are meaningless or senseless why conversely do those who advocate weightier matters do that? Maybe all work and no play makes STRESS.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
I agree Carol. There is room for everybody on these forums. When I want tech stuff on my motorhome, that is where I go, but being a people person, I enjoy the rest of the forums and the inter-action that takes place. The word forum also means a place of public meeting or discussion or at least it does in the United States.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Out of the dozens, or scores, or hundreds of active to semi-active threads, I see 4 or 5 threads that I would term "games" or frivolous. Unless the games start to outnumber the technical support threads I don't see a huge exodus of current members.
I am one who posts on the lighter threads. This is usually after I have scanned the "Todays Posts" listings for anything of "value" that might interest me. When that's done, game on.
I guess my options would be to scan the threads for interesting ones, then simply log off? No, I like it better the way it is.
Dave
Old 06-08-2007, 01:47 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
There is an enormous amount of posts that run the gamut of shared information on all things Airstream. The insight into the culture of our society is certainly reflected even in the'off topic' threads. All the restorative, technical, social and ethical ideas have been shared on the different threads I've viewed and thoroughly appreciate. The forum is the right venue to air and share serious as well as heart-warming experiences across the board. The games put forth are there for the taking, fun, frivolous at the least, a good escape from the other activities of the day. so take it or pass over the games should you choose to look elsewhere for some light fun..paula
Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 AM   #93
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I belong to other RV forums in addition to this one. Much useful information is out there. However, my opinion is that the Airstream Forums are a notch above. I have gleaned valuable insight about issues already worked thru by others here. And, I can always ask for straight forward advice. It amazes me what some of you have been able to do with your rigs. Plus, some of the banter on other sites is a bit........
Old 06-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #94
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Social Interaction has always predominated on these forums. I joined about 18,000 members ago. In those days the arguments were about whether the CCD would doom the Airstream company.

Nobody here has even suggested that the Forum be limited to technical subjects.

What some members were objecting to is the sudden proliferation of jokes and puzzles that have nothing to do with Airstreaming.
Sergei
Sergei, we are looking at ways to lump all the game threads into a single spot on the portal page. If you are interested in them, there will be a single spot marked "Game Threads" showing, with the last poster showing there. This will be if there is one game thread, or a hundred . I don't know if we can make it happen, but if we can, the gamers will know when there has been a new post in that area, and everybody else will have 24 other threads showing on the portal page.
With any luck, we'll be able to do this, they are working on it now.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
That is a fantastic idea Terry, I hope it is doable. It makes a lot of sence.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #96
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Well this IS the off topic part of the forum. I would think that the forum designers included the "off topic" section intentionally to have a place for Airstreamers to discuss anything they felt like discussing that wasn't Airstream related.

(And BTW, I don't think there could be anything more "off topic" than Paris Hilton.)

Many forums have game threads. The thing that surprises me about the games here is that they haven't gotten played out. I occasionally jump in when I have a moment to kill but they have gotten a bit repetitive IMO. Maybe that's what some people object to. Those threads just won't end!

Anybody got a new game???