Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I am done fixing up my trailer, and those tech posts don't interest me much anymore, I'm mostly here for the socializing, camping tips, etc.
I'm FINALLY done, too!!.....I hope. And I have posted a lot about what I have run in to on my 76 Sovereign. But, I continue to be keenly interested in what problems, repairs and discoveries other AS owners are having. WHY? Because I know that "tomorrow", that may be my problem, as well. I've learned a lot from this Forum and I am distressed to see this site of rich information about AS's turn into a non-Airstream related "social" bulletin board! Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
With a board this size it is inevitable that there are theads that you wont want to see a second time. Maybe at some point we will have more individual controls over this, untill then- this is what we have.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
If the Forum descends into social messages, gossip and cute but empty one liners flying across this public space, people who have something to say and something to learn about AIRSTREAMS will drift off to a place more useful to them.
Sergei
I think Sergei has pegged it. I don't log on as often, or post as often as I used to because of the useless pap & babble.

I think the general level of discourse has been degraded. I kept hoping the word games will taper off and disappear without someone needing to bring it up.

Yeah, I skip over them. But I miss some interesting threads because they scroll off the bottom.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
But I miss some interesting threads because they scroll off the bottom.--Quote

It's a simple route to go to the menu line, click on Quick Post, click again on Today's Posts where you'll find all 80-100 or so that have been posted the past 24 hours. That's a lot of reading, lots of techy posts too. Screen out the "don't wants" and linger over the "interests-to-me." This forum serves thousands of streamers who each have his/her own purpose for joining. Enjoy what is so freely offered us ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In the end it's a community. Yes it has a purpose, yes there are off topic conversations. This isn't designed as a purist type place, or at least that's what my take on it is. The fact that this thread even exists is proof that the site isn't censoring or restricting anyone's comments or opinions. One could easily consider this thread worthless babble, yet it too does serve some purpose and since it isn't personally attacking anyone, so be it.

I say, live and let live, read what you'd like, don't read what you don't want.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I don't log on as often, or post as often as I used to because of the useless pap & babble.
The other side of the coin...I actually log on more and post more because of the word games and other social aspects of this forum.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Some of us just don't always have something technical or Airstream related to ask or add. Once we have no questions to ask should we go on our way or lurk until finding a thread to post our expertise? For me that would be very dry, much akin to a manual or service call...social messages, gossip and cute but empty one liners flying across this public space is what has led me to becoming acquainted with many of the forum members and to attend several forum rallies. All work and no play makes a dull time of it, but then you might not want to inquire of members who got red marks in deportment in their formative years.

Sometimes I log in, take a look around, skip the axles and the tires questions, may not even see much new since my last log in and then a simple post to a frivolous game gives me a lift. I made a connection with others that are here, and we are all all together, but not. (Is that what Kevin says???)

How about someone become a vendor and personally forward only relevant posts with specific key words and subjects to account holders, kind of a concierge of Airstream web browsing? Or if the interface could accommodate that so much the better. I do wish I could search posts further back by member of volume posters and that my old karma was still available for me to see.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment...
When you attend an Airstream rally, do you discuss the weather, crack a joke, or share a recipe for chili? What you see on the portal page is nothing more than these things, they are just congregated in one spot for all to see, instead of under an awning while drinking an adult beverage.
Yes, in one spot it may be overwhelming, but could you imagine getting 20,000+ people together in one place. and telling them they can only talk about one part of their lives? How long do you think those people would stay in that spot, before getting bored, and wandering off?
We can delete the entire Off Topic area, and require that there be no posts that do not directly pertain to Airstreams, and Airstreaming. If we did that, there would be a lot fewer people here, and a lot less information, as they would go where they could post their thoughts, and not "just the facts, Ma'am."
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #29
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd shoot you some karma Terry, but it tells me I gotta spread it around!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Personally I like the different areas and threads. I usually don't do the word games and puzzles, but I like to read them and get a chuckle from them. I've even managed to get a few good one liners I can use elsewhere.

Of course not everyone likes everything, and if you are not interested, then go on to the next one. There are to many people making decisions for us, I for one would like to keep a place where I feel welcome and not have to be dictated as to what I can and cannot read.

I am not fussing at you guys or being snotty, I just feel we can all get along like we have in the past, and if a thread does not interest you, don't read it.
That's what I do.

Peace
Marie
Old 05-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #31
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Good arguments!

There are some very good Arguments here for this site to become a general purpose, Airstream related, "SOCIAL FEEL GOOD PLATFORM", .....is that what you want,....... then speak up! If you do not want that, then you should speak up also! Bill
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
It's a simple route to go to the menu line, click on Quick Post, click again on Today's Posts where you'll find all 80-100 or so that have been posted the past 24 hours. That's a lot of reading, lots of techy posts too. Screen out the "don't wants" and linger over the "interests-to-me." This forum serves thousands of streamers who each have his/her own purpose for joining. Enjoy what is so freely offered us ~G
Even better (as Steph suggested) is to click on "New Posts" it brings up all the new posts since your own last visit ~ after a week long absence there may be 2-300!

BTW...did you knoiw you can show up to 100 posts on a page by doing this: Go into your UserCP > click on "Edit Options" under Settings & Options >Scroll down to "Number of Posts to Show per Page" > Choose your preference (10, 25, 50, 100) from the drop down menu.

You can also set oldest post on top or newest post on top.

There is also a setting that you can default your subscription notices to threads you have posted in. This would set it to notify you when someone posts in the threads YOU post in and not the ones you don't...

Maybe one of these features would meet your needs better than just checking the portal page for the last 25 "new" posts.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is another option, maybe kind of drastic. You can choose a user that, for example, seems to post only in the meaningless off topic threads. You can select that user, and select "ignore all posts by this user", and you will never see another post that person makes. IIRC, a thread that person posted to would also not show up in your "top 25" on the portal page.
This may have changed slightly since the last upgrades, but I used this feature extensively a while back, when we had some problem users. It kept my blood pressure down to a manageable level most of the time.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Ya know, this is more than just a tech site, and I expect all of us reading this post look for more than technical input. It is a community...and keeps me out of trouble while my A.S. is laid up Guess I should not abreviate as one slip of the keys and I reckon that would not be good. Seriously though Kudos to Andy and pals for keeping a very clean and interesting site!!! Guess I should get back to cleaning the tint off my windows
Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I looked back over the last year, and noticed that since we have had those pointless threads running, we have had to make fewermoderator actions involving forums members. My thought is the people that may have caused problems were busy posting in the pointless threads, rather than running amuck causing strife and conflict with other members. Idle hands are the Devil's tools.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #36
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Well I been trying to figure out how to put myself on my ignore list, Is that possible? I never seem to contribute anything worthy to this forum so rather than clutter things up I'll just Airstream into the sunset, maybe

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #37
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Even better (as Steph suggested) is to click on "New Posts" it brings up all the new posts since your own last visit ~ after a week long absence there may be 2-300 Shari
Shari, that is the delima here, who has the time to read through maybe 300 new posts, on every subject under the sun, to see if something is applicable or of interest to you? The PORTAL page groups NEW post by SUBJECT. It's the only place on this site that groups NEW posts by subject!....at least that I am aware of. That's why each of those 25 slots are very valuable and they should be closely monitored for relevance to the purpose of this site. Bill
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
WRONG!!!!

Seems to me that a guy that goes to bat for fewllow A/Sers . . . stands up for the men and women my country sends around the world to do their bidding (among which are two naval officers with my name) . . . invites newbies with a warm welcome . . . and goes behind the scenes to ease other's path is due applause. I'm not kidding when I say, "DG 4 PREZ."
clintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Without having read the entire thread - just the start and ending - I submit another option. Some believe that this may be a way to run up posting numbers - SOooooo, maybe the MODS can get together and select "useless threads" (is there really such a thing????) and deactivate the posting counter for that thread to the posters account. Just an idea, I have posted to some of those threads - have to admit, 0300 - at sea - 12-16 foot seas, 30-40 knot winds, and tuna salad for dinner - it has been fun reading the threads and posting , keeps my mind off where I am.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Yeah but cmon, who really cares how anyone gets their rivets? For Pete's sake, this site is for info. for a luxury pastime, and a nice caring community has come out of it. Why is that not a good thing?
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote