Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Thumbs up Tonneau cover

I am looking to purchase a tonneau cover for my truck. I am interested in the Extang Full tilt cover. Can anyone give any comments or reveiws on this product?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector
I am looking to purchase a tonneau cover for my truck. I am interested in the Extang Full tilt cover. Can anyone give any comments or reveiws on this product?
Campcollecttor,
I don't have the Fulltilt cover, but I do have an Extang. I have had it for 2 years and it has performed very well. Their customer service is excellent too. I accidently broke on of the rear closer clips on mine, they sent me a new one at no cost. Our truck is driven 30k a year and is almost never under a garage or carport. It spends 3-4 days a week in an airport parking lot, and when at home the freakin' guinea hens roost on it It still looks good, I do clean it with their reccomended vinyl cleaner when I wash the truck.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Arrow Truckaddons.com

Well I purchased the extang full tilt cover. I like it for the price $328. It is a handy cover that tilts open with gas shockes and locks down for travel. I noticed a slight increase in mileage on my dodge of about 1/2 mile per gallon.

I did not however have a good expierince from a web based company called truckaddonsdot.com. Everything was going fine I got my order and put it on the truck and then the next day another cover shows up on my porch for a Nissan Titan HUH? what gives. Seems it was dropped shipped from the factory to my address from EXTANG. It had differnt order numbers and ship dates but somehow I ended up with it. Ok, no big deal I will call them and let them Know, and they will arrainge to get it back (I'm such an honest and nice guy

Here is were it goes South this is a copy of the letter I sent them after my phone call.

"I received a second Extang tonue cover the day after I got mine for my Dodge. The second one is for a Nissan Titan. I only ordered the one for a Dodge; therefore, there must be some shipping mistake from Extang. The order number on the packing slip for the Nissan cover is Purchase order number 0105402 Salesperson Wobleski SOP number ORD365016 Packing slip Number 00019302. I would like this resolved.

I called Saturday May 14th, spoke to a Tino ext 2018, he was not helpful and very rude, said he could not help me and I should call back Monday. He could have said he would have someone contact me. I am trying to get this Nissan cover back to you and he did not care. After his poor customer service, I told him I, could care less now. His reply is that it will be tracked and I would be billed for it- I did not even order it! I like the cover I purchased for my Dodge truck, but now I am being hassled because I am trying to help to return this other cover that was miss shipped by EXTANG, no logic in this that I can see. I got my product and a helping of poor customer service. I am not ever going to buy anything from this company again, and I will make sure none of my friends do either. It is inexcusable the way I was treated by Tino at ext 2018. I want a service manager to contact me and I want to be treated with the respect I deserve for trying to help return an item that someone else ordered and is waiting for. Put this letter in your customer testimonials!

Yes I was mad

So for what its worth "good cover". Pick who you by from carefully and maybe buy over the phone so you can get an idea if it's a nice company to work with. And again "No good deed goes unpunished".
Old 05-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have the A.R.E hardshell cover. Those are great. Not sure I would want one that was not hardshell of some sort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-303F.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	12154  

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
North Ogden , Utah
Post Tonneau choice

David suggested getting a hard tonneau cover. I fully concur with him. I spent about 2 months checking out such things as: 1: how easy to remove so bed could haul big stuff; 2: How much did it weigh? Was it a one person job to remove? ; 3: Was it water tight?; 4: could it be painted a new color? ;5: What was the normal maintenance procedures?

I settled on an Undercover unit (also known as VersaCover). It works as advertized and was easy to install. UnderCover quickly answered all my questions about adjusting the locks.

So shop around and even though they cost more, get a hard cover.

Cal Hansen
uucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Bed cover for winter

Here is my situation. We use our truck for towing the camper in summer; bikes in the bed, kayaks on roof rack. In the winter we use the truck as our ski vehicle. I would like a bed cover that my wife can easily manipulate and one that works well in winter conditions of snow and ice (summer doesn’t present too many challenges for any style bed cover). I would also like the cover to be easily removed on location i.e. when we are traveling my wife will often find some antique, etc that is tall so the cover must be removed to access the bed (this rules out fiberglass covers). My last truck had a soft cover with snaps, cover worked fine most of the time, but winter was tough. Snaps would ice up, and if you had to unsnap it to access the bed forget trying to stretch it back in the cold!

I am leaning toward either a ridged roll up or fold up type as I believe they would be more “winter friendly” and offer a level of security above a soft cover. (I know they only keep honest people honest). I am concerned that roll up cover would bind in snow/ice and that a fold up would be better in these conditions. I also am not crazy about losing 12" of bed space with a canister.

I would like to hear from folks who have experienced either roll-up or fold up covers in winter conditions…

Thanx, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Hey Bill,
We talked about this in a PM earlier... For the group... I love my Retrax cover. The canister is one of the smallest and you can lock the rolling cover in any position so Mama can have a new antique chair and the cover won't be sliding into it while rolling down the highway. BTW.. Retrax is made in Grand Forks, ND. I don't think there is a better proving ground than a winter in North Dakota. I passed on most of the other tonneaus on the market because they have a vinyl coating and that just doesn't do well in AZ sun.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Rolling bed cover

I have the Roll-n-Lock cover on my truck. It is the third of that brand that I have bought, so it is obvious that I like it. It rolls up in a box at the front end of the bed and I have a 30-gallon auxiliary diesel tank installed under that box.

The cover is interlocking aluminum slats and their ad shows a girl standing on one. I wouldn't try that, but it is really strong. It locks both to the sides of the bed and to the tailgate so that it is really secure when locked. It is "mostly" watertight, but I do get some leakage if the truck is not fairly level when parked in heavy rain. The cover can be locked at several places which takes care of hauling big objects.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Check these out...

I have a roll top similiar to Pahaska's
http://www.4wheelonline.com/Categori...ategoryId=2178
I have the "roll top" on my truck. It's nice! The top is a steel roll covered with some kind of vinyl, it's sturdy, and retractable. I'm a carpenter, so I'm constantly opening/closing the thing to get to my tools. It has stayed nearly water tight for at least 6 or 7 years, but the rear gasket that seals against the tailgate is starting to go bad now. (I carry many tools in the bed, and am still not worried about them getting wet with the cover closed) No complaints about the quality, it's used several times a day and has held up very well. The only problem I've had is sometimes in the dead of winter it can be difficult to open if a bunch of ice builds up on the cover. If that happens, I just bang on the cover a few times and the ice breaks free of the vinyl pretty easily, and I sweep it off. The greatest thing is when retracted, the bed is completely open to carry anything large. The cover also has a lock. I'll answer any questions if anyone is interested in knowing more. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I have a Peragon cover.

It is all aluminum and powder coated black. Very durable. Fairly water tight but they tell you up-front it's not water-proof.

Dislikes:
Doesn't roll open or closed smoothly. Even after several attempts at adjustment.

Only locks in fully covered position.

Conclusion:
It was between this and the Retrax and I now wish I had gotten the Retrax.
The ONLY thing that kept me from getting the Retrax is the shiny plastic look. I wasn't aware of the Roll-n-lock cover that John has but it sounds like a nice one.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote