Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2006, 06:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
up-date

Well God works in mysterious ways I found out yesterday we were approved for aid for the school in fact 50% of his tuition. So we will be able to breath a little easier and I can still be a stay at home mom. My son has 2 weeks left in public school and the are doing the MCT testing this week so much stress for the kids he has complained with the stomach ache the last 3 days. Folks thanks for all the advice I got a pm from one of the forum members and it was a Dad and let me tell you it was very up lifting I would have to vote him as the best Dad of the year.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Had to update this one.

I bumped this one back up, Today first day at the private school and man was it great for me and my son. First of all not a lot of traffic at drop off this morning 7 min total from my house drop off and return home coffee never got cold (good for mama) No calls from the office (good for mama) pick up 2:30 5 min wait son comes out gets in the car all smiles (good for mama) How was your day son Mama it was great we did this, did this, and we did this, I'm just going to love it. Oh by the way can I join the chess club why sure son.
Mom we started learning Latin today to, and we ate our lunch outside under the trees. My son has not been so excited about school in 2 years and to hear him talk about it (goooood for mama)
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #23
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great news!!

Becky,
So glad for the update!! Isn't it great that he is excited about school? Happy for you all!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Veni Vini Vici! Congrats on the new school. Some kids just need that little extra something to make school a positive place, sounds like this school has it. I'm sure when it comes to his first Latin test he won't be as excited, but you never know....maybe he will become a budding classicist.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #25
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
On the average, private schools produce smarter kids than public schools.
On the other hand, a friend of mine uses an address of a friend so his kids can still go to their school of choice (I neither support nor oppose this tactic. Some feel that arbitrary regulations should be ignored )

Notwithstanding, I bet you can appeal this rule, some school districts will allow out of area kids if there is a good reason...
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Kudos to you, Mom!

Good for you!

I am glad you are pleased with your son's new school. But, no matter what ~ do not become complacent! There are good schools/ poor schools, good/poor teachers and everything in between. A large part of the difference is the parents, their attitude, and their realistic support for their child.

I spent 30 years as a public school teacher, our kids tried both public and private schooling. It was always a challenge. Our kids are both very bright and talented (naturally, as parents we all know that! ) but in the public sector that doesn't help when coupled with incredible creativity. If I had it to do all over again (our kids are grown and finished with college and are both professionals in different fields) I probably would opt for private school where I could have greater influence over what they were learning and how. The biggest difficulty I had with the public school system was that it seems to somehow destroy the confidence of many of the kids. They learn to hate school. I worked hard not to do that to any of my own students, but one never really knows what was accomplished in the long run!

The one thing in defense of public school and the hard times... it helps kids build character (as long as they have supportive parents) and helps them deal and learn about the hard knocks that life often brings. Fairness is a stupid myth that they teach somewhere.... life just isn't that way all the time! Our kids are both strong, independent people. We sometimes long for the dependent children we once had, but are proud they can stand on their own feet and be successful!

Raising a family is both the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever done. It brings you the best life has to offer along with the worst at times.

No matter what the future brings, if your child knows you love them, will be there when they need help, and you can help teach them how to have strength in the face of adversity ~ they will make it just fine!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote