Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wal-Mart may have the best prices, but you get what you pay for....... I agree, the national tire businesses typically know what they are talking about and can surpass the like of the Wal-Marts of the world in overall knowledge.

Don't get me wrong, Wal-Mart and other retailers do a great job at other things, but they are not really a great auto service center in terms of knowledgable staff. Sears got into hot water around here about 8 years ago. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the info posted to this thread about what a Sears rep said....but not everyone knows anything to contest comments like this like you or I.....

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think I would have strung him along, then waited till a manager walked within earshot.
That's when I would have called the salesman an idiot.
Many times it is the manager that instructs the employees to say these things. And the manager is pressured to do whatever it takes to make the sale.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
To add to Terry's post, some managers are as clueless as the teens they hire!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
I second and third all the positive comments about Discount Tire--I have used several of them, mostly in Plano and Richardson, Texas, and I have been impressed EVERY time by how professional and knowledgeable they are. They would fix flats for free, regardless of where you got your tires, and match prices on the rare occasion you could find a better deal. They would even mount and dismount my race tires for free (probably due to liability issues, but it was great nonetheless)! I taught a class on basic car care for women through FunEd at the Plano store for the longest time, and the manager at the time, Todd Eaddy, bent over backwards to make sure I had everything I needed (plus stayed almost four hours past his closing time for each class) and he would help out with the course when we would go out and show the ladies where everything was on their own vehicles and how to change a tire. Top-notch folks, and I have no compunctions about recommending them to anyone.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Sadly, we went to Sears for new tires on the AS, the old tires were leaking. After 2 trips of ~50 miles each, one for the tires and one for high pressure stems we asked for on the first trip, no one bothered to tell us the rims were corroded inside and THAT is why the wheels were leaking. Now we have to decide on rims to match our new tires.
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
2001 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Nankang

Here's another vote for the Nankangs for trailer tires. I haven't found a tougher, more reliable tire and I travel roads that most folks wouldn't dare attempt, much less hauling a trailer. True, they must be special ordered, but I have had them on one trailer for over eight years and many miles with no problems. I like them so much that I ordered another set for my other trailer.
As for the TV, I go with the Les Schwab Toyos..........again, no problems and great service.
Sam
Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Go to a good tire shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleskeep
... no one bothered to tell us the rims were corroded inside and THAT is why the wheels were leaking. Now we have to decide on rims to match our new tires.
Your corrosion may indeed require new wheels. But, in the early days when I took all five of my wheels to a local tire shop, I pointed out that the spare already had an innertube, and that one of the other tires might need one because it had been flat (bead had even popped) for many years.

The tire shop wire-brushed & wiped magic tire goop on all the tire bead sealing surfaces. When they were done, no innertubes were needed, not even on the spare.

I did have one tire that would lose about 1 psi over the course of a month. But that tire sealed itself after one, long, hot drive to Disney World.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Wheel Rusting and corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Your corrosion may indeed require new wheels. But, in the early days when I took all five of my wheels to a local tire shop, I pointed out that the spare already had an innertube, and that one of the other tires might need one because it had been flat (bead had even popped) for many years.

The tire shop wire-brushed & wiped magic tire goop on all the tire bead sealing surfaces. When they were done, no innertubes were needed, not even on the spare.

I did have one tire that would lose about 1 psi over the course of a month. But that tire sealed itself after one, long, hot drive to Disney World.

Tom
I have dealt with semi truck/trailer tires and repairs for years as the former owner of a trucking company. I can attest to the cleaning of rims (wheels) being important. The aluminum wheels that had been mounted on my pickup for a while, still had some rubber attached to the rim when the old tires were dismounted. This caused the new tires to not seal to the bead properly and they would not balance out well either. Pay attention to the tires you have mounted either on the TV or on your trailer. Most people (from this forum) will know more than some tire installers when it comes to mounting the tires on the A/S.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
1977 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Richland , Missouri
Thumbs up Wal-Mart Tires??? You Bet!

Perhaps Walmart has been judged by the incompetence of one group of service department individuals. I purchase all my tires exclusively from them. I buy B.F. Goodrich TA/KO 10 plys for my TV with a Duramax. And for my three AS I have purchased both Carlisle's and Marathons. Walmart also mounts trailer tires and inflates them to proper levels.

Why shop Walmart? I do it because there is a Walmart around every corner in most every town in the U.S. and in larger cities in Mexico. I have purchased from Sam's also, but they are sometimes harder to locate and although some Walmart's honor a Sam's tire warranty, all of them do not.

With fingers crossed and as I knock on wood, I can state that the service departments I've had experience with in several states have been professional, competent and knowledgeable. Yes, some staff members could qualify for the idiot of the month award, but after a chat with someone else or a manager, service improves

Like most shopping experiences, I believe you can get success stories and sour grapes stories from all the companies mentioned in this thread. Thankfully, my experiences with Walmart have been positive!

Happy Trails

dale
Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #24
Aluminum Addict

Gastonia , North Carolina
Some Stores are Better than Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5wi
Perhaps Walmart has been judged by the incompetence of one group of service department individuals. I purchase all my tires exclusively from them. I buy B.F. Goodrich TA/KO 10 plys for my TV with a Duramax. And for my three AS I have purchased both Carlisle's and Marathons. Walmart also mounts trailer tires and inflates them to proper levels.

Why shop Walmart? I do it because there is a Walmart around every corner in most every town in the U.S. and in larger cities in Mexico. I have purchased from Sam's also, but they are sometimes harder to locate and although some Walmart's honor a Sam's tire warranty, all of them do not.

With fingers crossed and as I knock on wood, I can state that the service departments I've had experience with in several states have been professional, competent and knowledgeable. Yes, some staff members could qualify for the idiot of the month award, but after a chat with someone else or a manager, service improves

Like most shopping experiences, I believe you can get success stories and sour grapes stories from all the companies mentioned in this thread. Thankfully, my experiences with Walmart have been positive!

Happy Trails

dale
Dale, I am glad you had a positive experience. I too think that a nationwide warranty and service place can be important. It is nice to have someone on your side when an emergency happens.
It is true-- there is good and bad and we can all experience different levels of service at perhaps the same location.
"The squeaky wheel, gets the grease"