Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Karin, sure I remember the fancy fiddle jammin of yours.
You were great

I'm currently hold up in the Anza Borrego desert and lovin it. 3 months rent free with a billion dollar view.

Hey, with all those empty wine bottles I'm believing doorgunner is with you.

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #58
Hedonistic Bohemian
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
Organize your expenses by category in a pareto chart Wikipedia

You won't save much money on the little things on the right that don't add up to much anyhow. Cheaper soap, for example. Where's the big money, the categories on the left, going? What can you do about that?

Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #59

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

When your not dream'n.....try Stream'n
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #60
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
All this got me thinking...
I have been lurking (on and about) this forum since... like forever..
I can remember the day when AndyR posted a invitation to me to join up with a bunch of fellow streamers on a new forum called "Airstreamforums".
What a change 7 years later..Now, we are on the verge of a beeping recession~!!~
First, let me say..
what a wonderful example of clear minded, analytical thinking. Both as individuals and, collectively, as a group. I have read all of the suggestions put forth and, they are all excellent inputs. We need to preserve this topic, even better, a copy of this entire forum both in print and, on a series of DVD..No disrespect to AndyR but, given the hard times that are abound..we might not be able to keep this forum intact as we know it.
I am just thinking ahead to a day, when God forbid, things are so radically different than we know it now. We really should preserve, preserve all of this info in the widest possible manners available. Not just in the hands of a few but, spread across the different regions of the USA..
BTW, I support a move to a 100 acre site for the purpose of setting up an Airstream commune! Excellent idea Over59'..
Just to post an interesting story of..
Slab City, Niland, CA..
It's still snowing here..yuck~!!
keep warm all...
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
High Deductible Medical Insurance

I was asked in a private post whether such insurance covered pre-existing. Answer: Depends on your state. In Virginia any new policy is required to cover pre-existing IF the insured had prior coverage with another company or with a different policy and the same company. If you are going from uninured to insured, the company MAY refuse to pay for pre-existing for 2 years... if you're still alive they have to start covering it after 2 years.

Of course you can negotiate for a shorter pre-existing term at higher premiums.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #62
NEU Past President
1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
I remember Sunday afternoons playing scrabble at the kitchen table with my grammy smoothing out scraps of used, wrinkled tin foil with our thumbs. I still love doing that. Beats polishing an Airstream for me!
I've always saved aluminum foil - as long as I can get it clean (enough) it gets folded and put in a kitchen drawer to be used again. My mom did / does this and so did her mother. Foil that isn't clean enough for kitchen re-use gets balled up and used to clean the outdoor grill's grates.
Michelle & Leon
New England Unit

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #63
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Foil is great to clean grates! What do you wrap up to be able to reuse foil? I wrap up raw food then throw it away after thawing.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #64
. , .
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Foil is great to clean grates! What do you wrap up to be able to reuse foil? I wrap up raw food then throw it away after thawing.
I don't use the foil to wrap raw foods like chicken. I might use it for things like baked potatoes or maybe corn on the cob though.

Last night I made a Confit Byaldi (aka "Remy's Ratatouille") with a sheet of foil that's been used as a cover for osso bucco, lamb shanks, lasagne, and braised short ribs...

Different recession tip: If something costs say $2.35, I'll fork over 3 dollars and pocket the change I get back -- even if I have the .35 on me. All of my change goes into a change jar and gets cashed in after about a year. It all adds up.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #65
Refurbished 89 Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Being retired and dependent upon Social Security, Teacher's Retirement, and Army retired disability I find these times quite challenging. Thanks for all the great hints above. Of course debt free goes withouts saying. Insurance at the worst is showing up at the emergency room. Food is out there in the garden or in the pantry from canning. Wood heat, solar power, and the well do just fine for my utility services.
For me, keeping the Airstream is my refuge of last resort. We raise goats that will keep us in lots of meat and dairy for trade. I guess we are blessed with living next to a national forest where when times get really hard to be able to expand the herd out there cause we can't afford the feed. Another blessing there is the small game, deer, and turkey that are quite plentiful.

I guess that we shall see what happens, but being ready surely does give one a sense of peace that I dont see how folks in the urban or suburban setting have...............God bless OUR Country........Dennis
Dennis & Susan
D&D Farms, Sugar Valley, Ga
Registered Boer goats
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #66
1970 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Iowa
Originally Posted by silverbeauty View Post
Thanks for all the great tips above. We talk about this stuff often and try to be responsible.

Buy local & keep your neighbors working and producing food. We don't want to depend on Walmart to feed us.

Rethink wood heat, it saves us hundreds of dollars a year and gives us excercise...
this is true... last year i learned a valueable lesson: extra wood at the end of the season led to a MASSIVE colony of carpenter ants, which only increased the amount of *tiny* little holes letting cold air in the next season. so either buy the right amount of wood for the season, or plan to have a bonfire in the spring. you will be tempted to save the wood back for next season since you spent good time and/or money on it. don't do that if you stacked it next to or near your house- move it or burn it up.

and oh, boy splitting wood IS good exercise.

silver>gold is offline   Reply With Quote