Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Time To Say Goodbye... For Now

Hey guys. Iv only been a member for a few months now, so my leaving probably wont be a big deal to most, but Ill say goodbye anyhow!

I recently sold my Airstream and have been looking for its replacement. I convinced myself I was going to get another Airstream! After looking high and low for the past month, something became quite obvious to me: I cant have a "nice" Airstream and afford it too. My better half said she really wanted a camper still, so we settled on a 1996 Lance slide-in truck camper. Its in REALLY good shape for the year and comes with its own tow vehicle: a 1996 F-350, crew cab long bed diesel.

We will use this camper for a few years until we can save up some cash and we both have better, full time jobs to pay for a newer nicer one. So long for now, but hopefully not forever! Thanks for everything Airforums Community!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sounds like a good plan. You might want to stick around for all the other great insights and folks in this forum anyway :-)

Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Don't say googby, just till later

Hello ElCamino Man. Welcome to the world of slideins. You will experience a whole new set of problems. I have a 2008 Lance 1055 and also a 1988 25' Excella Airstream and they are as different as night and day, but I enjoy then both the same.
You might want to check out the forum "Lance Owners Of America". They are all about truck campers, they focus on Lance but other brands are also discussed. Also the forum "RV.net", they have a section in there all about truck campers.
There is also an e-magazine called "Truck Camper Magazine". It is free and you just sign up and it's sent by E-Mail.
What determines my choice for a trip (TC or Airstream) is the number of toll roads and toll bridges there are on the way to destination. The trailer will double the toll costs and the TC won't cost any more than the truck alone.
Good luck and happy camping nm1oqrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Hey guys. Iv only been a member for a few months now, so my leaving probably wont be a big deal to most, but Ill say goodbye anyhow!

I recently sold my Airstream and have been looking for its replacement. I convinced myself I was going to get another Airstream! After looking high and low for the past month, something became quite obvious to me: I cant have a "nice" Airstream and afford it too. My better half said she really wanted a camper still, so we settled on a 1996 Lance slide-in truck camper. Its in REALLY good shape for the year and comes with its own tow vehicle: a 1996 F-350, crew cab long bed diesel.

We will use this camper for a few years until we can save up some cash and we both have better, full time jobs to pay for a newer nicer one. So long for now, but hopefully not forever! Thanks for everything Airforums Community!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good luck to you.

Maggie
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
You know that there is a virtual AS unit called Nova? Well, we could all go in our virtual AS's! After all, Airstream is a state of mind, isn't it?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Guess you'd better not read the crossover aluminitus threads here and at the RV.net truck camper forum on restoring AVION/CAYO aero aluminum truck campers.

And, take it easy. I always find overlap in forums on this trailer type, on Dodge diesels and on fuel economy. Let us know what you find.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I came very close to buying 2 different action c10s but they both sold before I could get to it...

If people are interested in mileage and slide ins, ill stick around awhe longer lol
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. We are truck camper people also. As a matter of fact, we tow our Airstream with our truck camper rig. We travel with two bedrooms, two baths, and a beer fridge. If you find the right Airstream, you can tow it with your truck camper.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	183543  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
I said action c10 in my last post. I meant avion c10 lol. Darn phone!

Anyways, that's actually what I was kinda planned on doin if the whole fam damily wants to go campin. Then we would have two separate rooms essentially!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Do give it some thought. One of the upsides to what you're doing is that there are a lot of places you can get a truck camper that you can't (or at least shouldn't!) take an Airstream. I know quite a few folks like the McCabes, who tow a trailer and set it up as a "base camp" and then head off into rough country with the truck and a camper aboard. Works for them. Good luck and do stick around!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Doesn't matter what you are camping in, just the fact that you are getting "out there" is the important thing. Enjoy, I think truck campers are cool. It's amazing what they pack in there!

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote