Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Tie downs for long term living.

Could someone help with the question I have about living in an Airstream. I have a 30 ft Classic, that I will be living in for the next (2) years, about 4 nights a week....I know that regular Moble Homes have twist in anchors so they can be strapped down, for high winds, and so forth.....I am assuming this can be done on an airstream as well....Could someone comment on this....I would appreciate your comments and or suggestions.
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Never gave this idea a thought, but it makes some sense for "really long term" stays. Sorry to have no information to forward, but: I'd contact a mobile home park or high end RV facility in Florida, where they specialize in hurricane anchors.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
My father-in-law had the same issue when his job moved and he needed 2 years to retire so he followed with an SOB. He went to a mobile home dealer in Raleigh, had them come out and using an electric powered tool they screwed in 4 anchors 4 feet deep. Seems like overkill but that was what they used on mobile homes. These are the type that have the screw takeups on the end for the flat 2 inch metal straps. He placed 2 straps/anchors on the tongue end by the exposed frame and two in the rear where he coud slide the strap material under the floor and on top of the frame. Worked well, he leveled and set down the BAL jacks on concrete squares and the same for the tires (he left those on the camper). When he left they came back and pulled them out for him for no cost.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Thanks for you information, thats kinda what I thought I would do....Sure hate to be laying upside down in a big thunder storm.....Those twisters are pretty popular in these parts.....The screw down type anchors is what I thought of also.....I will have the mobile home company that sets up my job trailer bring along some extra anchors and do as you suggested for the tongue and the rear....Would make me feel a lot safer !!!
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
But you have to run by the used tire store to get some tread-less carcasses for the roof. Don't forget.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would have them tie the axles down instead of the rear end. If you pull down on the rear end you could cause or contribute to separation.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I would have them tie the axles down instead of the rear end. If you pull down on the rear end you could cause or contribute to separation.

I don't remember them under any tension. The straps were not real tight, just snug. In fact, when the grass under the concrete squares decomposed the starps were slightly slack. I think they would have prevented a roll over in high winds the way they were setup.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote