Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #29
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
This is also the first time I saw this thread. That has got to be of the scariest events anyone could imagine. Thankful you guys were ok. I tow a similiar trailer with a bit more weight. My truck is about the length of a football field (noticed when im trying to park it at the mall...)
It makes me feel at little better having a tow vehicle that is way too big for the trailer. Thanks for sharing this story and again, glad nobody was seriously hurt. I think you guys will be very happy with your new pickup.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
It could happen to anyone

Thanks for sharing your story. There's not a one of us that doesn't shudder at the possibility of it happening. I don't think there is ever a time on the road you can totally relax and not be conscious of what's on your left and right.

It's kind of like sailing. You always have to know the wind direction and what's around you. There have been times I've wanted a readout of the wind speed and direction in my TV. Don't know who makes them but it's handy on a gusty day.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We're just glad you are both safe and recovering from the trauma of the wreck and of losing your Airstream. Lady Luck was on your side, for sure. Hope you can get back in the saddle soon and continue your Airstream travels.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear you are recovering, Kate & Don. What an absolutely terrifying experience.

Our thoughts are with you as you continue to regain your health.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Kate & Don - I hope you are blessed with a speedy and complete recovery.

When the 18 wheelers pass at Interstate Highway speed
it presents a real danger to all of us. The big rigs push ALOT
of air and the effect of the air turbulence is frightening.
When they pass at high speeds, it seems that wave of air
hits us about three times. a)rear of trailer, b)front of trailer/rear of TV
and c)front of TV. It is very concerning.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
From reading many posts about the effect of large trucks or busses, it seems some people are affected by it and others aren't. The situation described in this thread was of a truck traveling very fast, though on western highways trucks going 80 are not uncommon—that's the speed limit on some Texas interstates. I have never experienced such problems when passed, but others do.

Our truck and trailer are roughly matched in weight, trailer weighing a bit more, maybe 1,000 lbs., so that may help. We have an Equalizer hitch and it seems to work very well. Getting the hitch set up right is important and many dealers don't do that, so you have to make sure it's done properly. In the above situation, it appears the trailer brakes did not respond to the brake pedal, so the brake controller may have been faulty.

The natural reaction is to stand on the brakes, but it may be the wrong thing to do. A previous post said to accelerate while using the manual control on the brake controller—that makes sense to me. Accelerating may straighten the trailer and the trailer brakes will start slowing you down eventually. I believe in a moho if a tire blows, accelerating to straighten the moho is recommended, then slow down gradually. I'm interesting what others say about this.

Gene
Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #35
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Kate and Don

Just saw this post. We are so sorry and shocked to hear about this.
We can't imagine how you must feel. We are very glad to hear you
were not hurt seriously.

Going to miss you at the Can Opener this year, but I have
a feeling we will see you in 2011

Take Care
Dale & Susie

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Just saw this post also, glad your ok physically, the emotional part will take longer. Its good to see your already looking for another AS. This is something that could happen to any of us,thanks for sharing your story.

kevin
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
From reading many posts about the effect of large trucks or busses, it seems some people are affected by it and others aren't. The situation described in this thread was of a truck traveling very fast, though on western highways trucks going 80 are not uncommon—that's the speed limit on some Texas interstates. I have never experienced such problems when passed, but others do.

Our truck and trailer are roughly matched in weight, trailer weighing a bit more, maybe 1,000 lbs., so that may help. We have an Equalizer hitch and it seems to work very well. Getting the hitch set up right is important and many dealers don't do that, so you have to make sure it's done properly. In the above situation, it appears the trailer brakes did not respond to the brake pedal, so the brake controller may have been faulty.

The natural reaction is to stand on the brakes, but it may be the wrong thing to do. A previous post said to accelerate while using the manual control on the brake controller—that makes sense to me. Accelerating may straighten the trailer and the trailer brakes will start slowing you down eventually. I believe in a moho if a tire blows, accelerating to straighten the moho is recommended, then slow down gradually. I'm interesting what others say about this.

Gene
Gene, sitting in the Sedona rv park tonight. The forum is well documented how much I tow in the western region, and across the nation in general. I will be the devils advocate on this one. A semi could pass me going 100 mph, and me doing 35 on a downhill and this scenario does not seem possible. Help me understand what happend to these folks?/ They never hit, no contact. The shape of the airstream in general should in my mind reduce the effect of any push from a semi. Why are not more SOB tipped on their sides along the interstate? In my mind a WHY is a huge issue in this case? I travel heavy from Oct - April, all months with significant winds. She is rock steady with a f150 and a dual cam. Why did this happen to these good folks and not us? I want to know because money is not an issue here, a renegade or older prevost is fine by me. I just love the whole concept and value of this puppy. To me this is a breaing point, forget corrosion, cheap st tires and frame failure. I am out if this damn thing can be pushed over by a semi going by too fast!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'28, I am perplexed about the issues you raise too. The TV was a '04 Expedition and perhaps the TV was part of the cause.

Gene
Old 11-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
'28, I am perplexed about the issues you raise too. The TV was a '04 Expedition and perhaps the TV was part of the cause.

Gene
Hi, this is a sad thing to hear about and I'm glad no-one was badly hurt. I do look at the fact that the tow vehicle is rated about the same as my Lincoln. [8,900 lbs] But their trailer is rated very close to that same amount. [my book states 8,700 lbs for a 30 footer] too close for my comfort at 2,400 lbs more than my Safari. The owner stated he no longer likes the Reese Dual Cam hitch and might replace his tow vehicle with an F-250. [If I read this correctly] Did the wind from the truck cause this? Was the trailer too much for the tow vehicle? Was the hitch out of adjustment? [I read the adjustment on this hitch is critical] Did the tow vehicle or trailer pop a tire at this time? Or was it driver error, and/or with a combination of any of the above? I would like to know more details as to why this happened and maybe the owner isn't quite sure himself. This is not to put the owner/driver on the spot; I do not know him, or want to cause more grief to him, only to help educate the rest of us so we don't have the same thing happen to any of us needlessly. Again I wish these people well in their recovery and safe future travels.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
I am so glad everyone is ok.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Glad everyone is ok - hope you step back up on the horse and get another trailer and the tow vehicle you desire.
I think we can speculate all day on how and why this happened but to me it was probably just the "perfect storm" that happened where the forces of the wind from the semi-truck were just too much for the hitch and tow vehicle to overcome. 99.5% of the time this combination would have been just fine.
I was noticing on my last trip in October that a box truck with a 20' long box was about the worst offender when it came to feeling the push of the wind. The bigger trucks have never given me that much issue.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Andrew from Inland, this is your of expertise. Missed a visit, poor business conditions forced me to have thanksgiving in a KOA in Amarillo. Help all of us understand what happened to the dual cam or WHATEVER to spill a streamer and its substantial beast??? YOU ARE THE SOURCE FOR THIS ONE.