Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
KMTyme,

We're so very, very glad that the airbags evidently did their intended job, and that you are not seriously hurt. The story and photos left me a little queasy and thinking of nothing else.

(Had pork with lots of rosemary for dinner.)

Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
An Update With Some More Details..........

I spoke with kmtyme again yesterday morning. They are very sore and still dealing with the loss, both physically, and emotionally. I was asked to share some additional details and photographs of Monday evening’s crash for the benefit of others here on the forum.

The crash occurred on a portion of I-26 between I-95 and Columbia, SC. Portions of this road are very hilly, with the hill runs being long and straight. This route is also a major thoroughfare for truck commerce heading into and out the ports of Charleston, SC.

It is common for some truck traffic to use the steep declines to gain speed for the upcoming ascent over the next rise. Law enforcement on the scene corroborated this scenario, as did the towing agent. They indicated that crashes of this type are common to this area.

Kmtyme pulls with a 2004 Expedition outfitted with a Reese Dual Cam setup. They were headed East on a downhill descent at a tow speed of around 60 MPH. At some point towards the lower half of the descent they were passed by an 18-Wheeler traveling at an estimated speed of 85 to 90 MPH. The blow-by effect started a violent sway which they attempted to control using the Prodigy controller manual override. The sway was so violent at that point that the brake response was inadequate and the TV skidded off the highway and rolled over with the AS. The TV rolled 1.25 times coming to rest on the passenger side, while the AS apparently rolled 1 time. The hitch coupler disconnected during the rollover, but the safety chains kept the TV to AS connection intact.

The TV and AS are a total loss, but the pictures show how well they stayed together through the crash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 016.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	87672   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 055.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	87673  

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 064.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	87674   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 069.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	87675  

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 065.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	87676   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 060.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	87677  

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 070.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	87678   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-21-09 CAMPER & TRUCK DESTROYED 039.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	87679  

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
You poor things! Thank God you are alive....Praise God! Bless you both
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
These pictures brought tears and chills. I am so thankful that you were not hurt seriously. I appreciate Kevin sharing the circumstances with us. We can all learn from these situations although, in this case I am not sure you had any options but to have good equipment. I know how much you enjoyed your AS and hope that your nerves sufficiently recover to see you camping again. Richard and I will never forget your kindness to the "newbies" at last April in North Georgia.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I am so glad everyone survived and will recooperate. Thank you for the pictures and details. We are no match for trucks that size that speed past at such extreme accellerated speeds and their irresponsiblity towards others that are sharing the road. Thank heavens they survived that horrible ordeal. We shouldn't have to but to do this but I try to slow down and move over slightly as trucks pass me. I have already been in an incident that took me back and forth across three lanes of traffic in the mountains and something I will never ever forget. Looking through the side view mirror, it is frightening how they come barreling down upon you. Could they find and stop and ticket the truck driver, do you know?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is so scary. I was in a rollover once about ten years ago, and I still feel insecure when in similar situations. It takes a long time to heal mentally from unexpectedly losing control of your vehicle! I hope they have a quick recovery, and I'm glad it wasn't much worse. Best wishes to them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #21

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I am so glad everyone survived and will recooperate. Thank you for the pictures and details. We are no match for trucks that size that speed past at such extreme accellerated speeds and their irresponsiblity towards others that are sharing the road. Thank heavens they survived that horrible ordeal. We shouldn't have to but to do this but I try to slow down and move over slightly as trucks pass me. I have already been in an incident that took me back and forth across three lanes of traffic in the mountains and something I will never ever forget. Looking through the side view mirror, it is frightening how they come barreling down upon you. Could they find and stop and ticket the truck driver, do you know?
There were several witnesses who saw the crash and had the truck blow by them as well. But no one thought of getting the truck description or license plate data, they were helping the crash victims.

I don't know what the legal precident would be regarding the crash. This guy was clearly reckless, and it appears by all accounts that his behavior caused the crash. But can someone be charged for an accident without contact? I'm no expert in this area.

As for Truckers, I've encountered some very courteous drivers out there, as well as some real SOB's. The key is that some are professionals and understand the increased level of responsibility involved in driving a big rig. Others are simply behind the wheel earning a paycheck and are apathetic towards anyone who doesn't drive a truck.

I do know that without the trucking industry our economy would suffer. They pay fuel and road taxes, and provide a valuable service. They are vital to the commerce of this nation, but with their shear size and weight advantage over the rest of us, we really are vulnerable.

I know kmtyme is very thankful to those of you who have expressed your support. You are a great group of people. Proof that you do meet the nicest people in an Airstream.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #22
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
I-26 is not an easy drive in a passenger vehicle through this area. Guess you need 80k pound gross vehicle weight just to be safe.

I am curious what the best course of action to take for this scenario, if you see the situation developing. Should you speed up, slow down, or move onto the shoulder? I'm thinking a combination of move over and slow down, conditions permitting. This might be a better topic for another thread.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post

I am curious what the best course of action to take for this scenario, if you see the situation developing. Should you speed up, slow down, or move onto the shoulder? I'm thinking a combination of move over and slow down, conditions permitting. This might be a better topic for another thread.
Hit the trailer brakes, and hit the gas. Worry about the speed limit after you regain control. If you regain control.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
After the accident

Thank you to all who have been there for us, and who have expressed concerns and kind words. The wonderful support we have received has meant a great deal to us.

It has been a very bumpy couple of months since Sept. 21st and the accident on I-26 where our SUV (Expedition) and trailer (30') were both totaled. It has been an emotional and physical rollercoaster.

Thank heavens and the quardian angels that must have been protecting us as they brough us through this without major injury. We are still in awe of walking away from this accident. Pain set in a few days after and we are still seeing the chiropractor, though we are nearly recovered.

We towed our Airstream for many years without a problem we could not recover from, this was different. This accident taught us that even the dual cam anti sway hitch was no match for out of control sway. The trailer brakes were applied by hand when they did not respond when the SUV brakes were applied. Now, we will not tow without a Hensley or maybe Propride. Still researching Propride. The cost is irrelevant when it comes to life. We found out the hard way. Spend your money on one of these hitches. It is not an option, it is absolutely necessary. No matter what setup you have, it is fine until there is an emergency, that is when you need the best. I might add that we sent letters to Reese, we have yet to receive a response from Reese. Be safe, get the best hitch.

We are now looking for another Airstream (probably 28, maybe 30) and a bigger truck, F-250, diesel.

We thank all the wonderful travelers who stopped to help us, fire department, paramedics, police and friends who have responded with help & kind words to us personally and through this site. You all have helped in our recovery. Bless you all.

Travel safe, Kate & Don
Old 11-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
I Thought I Was Looking At Our Accident!

Dear Kate and John,

On Oct 31 last year we were in an accident in the exact same place that you had your accident. With the same scenario of an 18 wheeler passing on a decline. Luckily the TV did not roll, but it did get on 2 wheels, and like yours it disconnected from the hitch, but the chain held. No one was hurt and no other vehicle was involved.

I am so glad that you were not seriously injured, and feel that my husband was so lucky to not have rolled the TV, it could have been so much worse. Our 23FB was only 2 months old and was totaled. We managed to get all of our belongings out of the trailer prior to leaving it the final time at the wrecking yard. We completed our trip to Florida, but it was the longest trip we have ever had.

Please know that our thoughts are with you - the feelings of sadness and distress does go away, and once you get the new trailer and TV, it all will go away. The caution factor does go up several notches!

Good luck
Old 11-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just saw this thread. We were on that stretch of highway at the beginning of November. That truck must have been going at least 80 when he reached the top of the hill before he started to pick up speed downhill to reach 85-90. If he were driving that fast, other drivers must have seen him flash by, but apparently no one reported it. It's pretty unusual to see a truck going that fast. It'll be up to the insurance company to see if there's any way to find him—did a trucker get a speeding ticket 50 miles down the road and does it match your description? Most truck companies know just how fast their drivers are going via satellite, or have it recorded by computer, so unless he was independent, someone knows about the speed. You don't have to have contact to cause an accident and surely the trucker could be charged with speeding and careless driving, or possibly reckless driving. Finding the trucker is the problem. What trucking companies commonly use that route? Police could question them regarding their records; so could an insurance investigator. Someone may remember the color of the truck or something that stood out. Given the scope of the loss, the insurance company may want to investigate or just write it off.

Glad you are healing and I'm sure the emotional experience will the hardest to get over. The trauma of a rollover at 60 mph has got to be severe.

Gene
Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I appreciate your feed back and experience. I have a reese dual cam, and many times a semi has passed at twice the speed we were traveling, downhill and never once a feeling things were out of control. Maybe a little tug or that strange feeling in the steering wheel. It makes you wonder if something else was the issue. I have no suggestions, just an observation with an Airstream and lots of miles in extreme conditions. I have been in cross winds that semis were pulling over for, so, this is a very interesting post you have and again I respect what you went through. Just a very healthy curious,,why?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Gene,
Four couples stopped and not one was able to gve a description of the truck, it was moving so fast. We were going 60, the people directly behind us was about to pass us at 70 when they saw the truck bareling down on them. They felt the semi blow by them.