Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Would you buy Thor's new teardrop trailer?
Yes! 3 6.98%
Nope~ 26 60.47%
Maybe oneday 11 25.58%
Let\'s wait~ 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2003, 10:36 PM   #21
qqq
4 Rivet Member

It's made by Tabbert in Germany, & they now offer a larger one with the same shape & design , dual axles ,bathroom etc...

Hart

www.tabbert.de

I must warn you, their website is a German PITA
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Truth is

Like so many of you have said..And those very thoughts have gone around in my mind as well.
I first found a teardrop site last year for the first time while surfing for info on earlier Airstreams and, since then..I've quietly enjoyed reading about the various adventures of individuals who've builted or restored lost units found. Believe me when I tell you that, we're not the only "nuts out there"..lol It takes a special kinda of person to love a teardrop design, just as it does with an "Airstream's design".
Even tho I will most likely never own a teardrop, (I could never be happy in anything but my Airstream~!~) I can easily see the advantages for someone who lives in a condo, apartment or with property deeded restrictions. Just look at the size of house lots in Calif. Something like this, with it's size, takes the chore out of a weekend get away. It could be hauled with ease with just about any SUV or family bread loader.(Windstars are roaring by...lmao)
I'm thinking Maybe, I should call my broker and, buy stocks in THOR..Not because they make Airstream, not because they make the biggest MH on the market, not because they're the largest RV builder in the USA, not because they built this "TAB" but, rather because they have the courage to dare, they realize that there's alot more people out there who want to do "our thing" and, here's a company who listens to the market.
I shall enjoy reading the comments and, likewise, I hope you've enjoyed the fusion of new thoughts.

qqq
Just read your note. How true~!! Very interesting!~ No wonder it's well made..lol

Thanks for opening my eye on that one..
shari

Quote:
Still more than we have into our restored GlobeTrotter...hmmm
My point exactly..Makes you wonder about the selling prices of used Airstreams after all. I'd say, that in light of this and, what's being sold by SOB's..The value of used Airstreams just jump'd even higher..My PO said that, "The value will climb back up oneday". He was so right~!
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Wahoonc,

The T@B is of European design by a German company, Tabbert Caravan Thor is actually building these trailers in a non-descript building in Bristol, Indiana.
Yes, INDIANA.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 09:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
My...what a lovely dog house....

might as well sleep in the back of my truck...save a lot of money...hell, i get cabin fever walkin in a bambi.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:01 PM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Coloradobus
Wahoonc,

The T@B is of European design by a German company, Tabbert Caravan Thor is actually building these trailers in a non-descript building in Bristol, Indiana.
Yes, INDIANA.
I stand corrected I was posting based on older information. The orignal designer was Dannish, there was discussion about bringing the units over for resale in the US. They have available in Europe for 2-3 years, we saw them on vacation over there two years ago. It is my understanding that they are being assembled from Europeon components in the US, which due to tarifs will contribute to the higher costs.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #26
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Positive.
This is obviously not to be compared to a full time capable Airstream, or SOB.
But - it is not supposed to compete, but rather enable camping and travelling the country for people less inclined to keep up, store, tow, insure, repair, and look at a trailer in their driveway, yard, or storage lot. Or less inclined to deal with a large tow rig getting awful mileage.
These things will fit in most garages, and can be towed by many vehicles, as previously stated. There is shelter, food and water, and it is actually rather cozy to spend the night in, and hang out for short periods of time.
I actually went to the dealer and looked at these units before writing this, because I found it intriguing. It looks much cooler in person than in the pictures.
I can see this strapped to my vintage Mercedes heading East next summer.
It's the VW Westfalia of the trailer world.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
With the awning

In case you are interested in the "T@B" ... here's a picture with the awning deployed. At the Florida State RV SuperShow this weekend the basic model was down around $7-8k with show discount...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tabrv with awning.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	4470  
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 08:53 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

The little Thor thing

Well would you just look at that - how too cute can you get! Great awning. I think that if I had had a crystal ball and had forknowledge of what a project and money sink my Bubble would turn into, I most definitely would have gotten a little Thor what's-it. Heck, I bet you could tow it with a Honda Element if you didn't mind being the weirdest looking little rig going down the road. The all silver one is really cute - I think someone should take a picture of of about 5 or 6 of them clustered around one of the bigger Airstreams like a litter of babies. Awwww.
Jo Ann
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
looks like a giant sun bonnet....as in "Mavis, git your sun bonnet on we will be late for the barn raising.."

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote