Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #29
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Steph, now you need to find a 63 or 64 Ranchero to pull it around...

Old 09-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Banks , Oregon
Congrats!...Those seats look familiar

Hey Steph,

Congrats on your (soon to be) new boat. It really looks to be in good shape. How about those fins too! You'll have a lot of fun with it. And yes, like Airstreams, classic boats are great. They're also just as costly (Break Out Another Thousand $$). I have a 1961 Skaget 16' fiberglass with an 80 HP Chrysler outboard motor (and the same seats--bought them two years ago when I upgraded/replaced the interior). I agree with someone else who mentioned Evenrud as a good motor. Friends who have owned them have had good experiences. A used one should not be that expensive, as you will likely not be needing a great big one. The hull plate on the boat should give a max HP rating for your boat. Best wishes on your new adventure.

Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
No, it's not in my driveway yet. But I was surfing around and found a website called Fiberglassics, and they have a forum, with a NW section, and being a bunch of obsessives (we airstreamers wouldn't know what that's like, now would we?) they had seen the ad on CL and discussed it a little. Unfortunately no one knew what kind of boat it is, but they did copy the pictures from the ad (the ad expired before I got a chance to save the pictures), so here are the pictures from the CL ad. They're a little dark, but you get the idea. I thought it looked even better in person

Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #31
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Whats not to love about boats??

Girl you will be stylin in that boat!!! We need pix of you in it, in the water!! Enjoy!! Way to go!!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #32
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I had a Glastron boat that resembled that. The fins were not so high (reflecting the current style), but very similar. It was light green uppers, and white lowers. A 45hp Evinrude moved it along nicely.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #33
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
hmmm....which should we take to the lake this weekend....the boat or the trailer? sounds like life just got a little more complicated

as a former boat owner (fanatic) - enjoy.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm getting closer - this is turning out to be a soap opera! The guy I'm buying it from called today and said his FIL admitted that he had never actually signed the title into his name (costs money, you know) and so the people I'm buying it from actually have nothing to do with the title. Oregon Marine Board (who are VERY nice, helpfull people - a situation almost totally unheard of in DMV-type situations) helped us find the name and phone number of the owner on record. I called him and talked to a very nice eldery couple who barely remembered owning a boat like that (how could you forget a boat that looks like that?)

But they thought they had one, but maybe it was red when they owned it, and gave it to their son years ago. I told him either way the state of Oregon still said he owned it. So he said to send over the paperwork and pictures and he would sign and notarize it and send it back. So I sent that off, and hopefully before too long we'll hear back.

In other news, I sent the pictures to a classic boat guy in Texas and he thinks it may be a 1959-ish Glass Magic Playmaster.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #35
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It sure looks like one of the '59 Playmaster's. This guy's trailer even has fins. How cool is that? It sure has the styling and colors of the late '50s. You're really going to enjoy it. Now if you'd just move to Nevada, I think you can tow two trailers; one behind the other there. Now that would be a site. Mid '60s Ranchero, your shiney Airstream and this lil' beauty bringing up the rear.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Playmaster.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	45149  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Bet it was all over the second you looked at it.

Wonder if a set of '57 tail fin trim would fit on there?

Steph,

You gotta stop posting pictures like this

Everytime Susan (Alumatube) see's a picture like this she gets a gleam in her eye. Whenever she gets a gleam in her eye strange things start appearing on our property...........

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
As if you're any different, Brad!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
The guy I'm buying it from called today and said his FIL admitted that he had never actually signed the title into his name and so the people I'm buying it from actually have nothing to do with the title.

the owner on record. I called him and talked to a very nice eldery couple who barely remembered owning a boat like that (how could you forget a boat that looks like that?)

But they thought they had one, but maybe it was red when they owned it, and gave it to their son years ago. I told him either way the state of Oregon still said he owned it. So he said to send over the paperwork and pictures and he would sign and notarize it and send it back. So I sent that off, and hopefully before too long we'll hear back.
hey i was close! does this mean that you get it for FREE?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
I don't think so, but if the original owner decided he wanted it back, he could probably say it was stolen and take it back! I can't believe so many people were happy to pay for a boat and never get it put in their name. Seems folks play fast and loose with boat titles. Probably the reason the Oregon Marine Board people were so friendly to help. I'm sure they hear this story all the time.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #40
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
It sure looks like one of the '59 Playmaster's. This guy's trailer even has fins. How cool is that? It sure has the styling and colors of the late '50s. You're really going to enjoy it. Now if you'd just move to Nevada, I think you can tow two trailers; one behind the other there. Now that would be a site. Mid '60s Ranchero, your shiney Airstream and this lil' beauty bringing up the rear.

Brad
FF
That's all good, Brad... but I think the proper trailer for this combo is this '59 Shasta... ALSO with wings!

Roger
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #41

1968 17' Caravel
And to think we've already said we will need an AS motorhome to pull our boat to the lake! That Shasta is a much more stylish choice (no offense to the MHs)!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I am SO JEALOUS!!!! What a neat boat. Paint it two tone green and it would look awesome behind the Pontiac. I could even put some of the extra chrome pieces I have in stock on it to match it up. Mind you, it would also look neat behind any vintage car or MoHo.

Good find Steph. Egad, if I show this to Donna and then get caught cruising the boat section of Craigs List she may start thinking about what I should sell.

There are just so many neat "things" out "there" that a person just has to have once discovered. Be they boats, trailers, cars, motorcycles or whatever a person just sees that thing and knows it's gotta go home with them.

Barry