Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
boulder , Colorado
This CANNOT be happening!

Let me first say that my family and I have been avid tent campers for years. We live in Colorado and recently bought a brand new 2006 Airstream International CCD 19' travel trailer. This is where the nightmare began... I am looking for advice and to see if this is pretty normal "breaking in" that occurs.. Here is our story:

First it took almost 3 weeks to take delivery of our trailer as they could NOT get the Pre-Delivery Evaluation completed due to several issues. Having postponed several weekend getaways we went to pick up the trailer and found it still was not 100%. The system monitor was reading faulty on the black water and grey water tanks. It went downhill from there.

In the past 5 weeks since taking delivery we have experience the following:

1. The Hot water heater caught on fire and seared the wiring needing repair.
2. The Inverter main fuse failed from normal use.
3. The rear bedroom window broke upon opening from inside.
4. Batteries would not hold a charge beyond 85% (speculate that this is because the trailer was manufactured 7 months ago?)
5. Now when plugged into power, system monitor does not register charge in excess of 50%??
6. Refrigerator exhause fan never runs and when set to auto, the refrigerator does not keep cool during travel??
7. Cabinet corner molding detached at refrigerator side.
8. Counter top moulding below sink and range detached.
9. reading light near front table works intermittently.
10. Were not provided with crank to lower and raise the leveling jacks.
11. Smart exhaust fan in front does not auto-close when moisture is detected (rain).

Can anyone provide feedback with how normal or unusual this level of repair would be considered for a trailer we have had in our posession 5 weeks tomorrow? We DID expect some "breaking in" but this seems a bit excessive? What should we expect from the dealership? Is it reasonable to request or demand NEW batteries as well as complete fix for all other issues? One final note is we noticed there was cosmetic damage to the TV factory installed in the trailer as well. We LOVE this thing but just want it to get right!

A little history... we do almost exclusively DRY camping and the trailer is also equipped with solar panel for recharging the batteries so when we are out and about during the day we set the trailer to store power and not use... This does NOT seem to be very effective at replacing used power.
dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
WOW! have you called the dealer? have you called Airstream in ohio? I can't speak to new model issues as mine is really old... but that sound way over the top. I'm wondering if you have some basic and sytem wide wiring issue based on your list of stuff that has gone wrong. The trim and molding issues are annoying but more common new trailer issues.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Oh yeah - welcome to the forums....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Breaking in

I'd say something definitely needs breaking-in. Maybe a kneecap? The difficulties you list seem excessive and would indicate a quality control problem at the manufacturer. Do you have any leverage with them? I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I did.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Diesel and welcome, I feel your pain.....really! I had a bunch of issues with my 19CCD on delivery and I was so pissed at the dealaer that I took it like it was and did the repairs myself! And after calling the owner of the dealership, he said to send him a bill which he promptly paid! Being one's own RV service center does have it's advantages!

That said, you should get your dealer to address ALL of these as they are considered warranty issues. Start a file with a written and photo record of every defect and complaint. If they can not or will not resolve them, call the factory and inform them of what is happening and have them recommend another dealer. Search in these forums for comments and experiences with various dealers. You could always take it back to the factory, but that solution is often the most expensive for your time and gas and not always practical.

Good luck and keep us posted!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
_

. , .
welcome diesel boy......

i can certainly feel your pain.....
we just want it 2 be right....
the money was good....
so why not bambi?

some of the issues like trim and tank monitors are minor, frustrating, common and maddening....those things will fade with time and the joy of ownership..

the window breaking may be operator error, sticky gaskets, factory fubar's and so on.....
a new window will solve this..

i'd have been flamin' wild mad if over the water heater fire......
and at that point considered asking for a new unit......

you seem to have been calmer than most on this issue.....

some dealers have great service departments and can fix things the factory shouldn't have let out.....

other dealers are less helpful.....who is your dealer?

i spent 4 days
having the factory service center in ohio
correct 40+ items on my new unit last year......
it was well worth the trip for me...and might be 4 you 2......

it's great you still like airtreams and want the trailer.....
give your dealer a chance to fix things....
request new batteries and new tank monitors and a new fantastic fan....
and if they don't go 100% toward making it right.....
call the factory.....
i mean it......
expect them to get it right....
completely.....

again welcome and keep us posted.....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Diesel, are you using Windish in Lakewood? I was a little displaeased with a recent round of warranty service that I received there. Maybe consider taking your AS down to the new dealership in Colorado Springs. I know, it's a long drive, but if they can resolve your problems it would probably be worth it.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
been there for some of it...

>I am looking for advice and to see if this is pretty normal
>"breaking in" that occurs.. Here is our story:

Yours is one of the worst stories of new AS defects I've ever heard, so I'd say... not normal. Though some of your complaints are pretty common. I'll address those I've experienced or read of extensively.

>First it took almost 3 weeks to take delivery of our trailer as they could NOT get >the Pre-Delivery Evaluation completed due to several issues.

At least you got one. Ours was delivered with nearly flat tires and with a fairly sloppy condition inside that indicated no pre-delivery inspection at all.

>The system monitor was reading faulty on the black water and grey water >tanks. It went downhill from there.

The black/gray tank monitors seldom read accurately; some folks have recalibrated themselvs (thread on here somwhere), some with success, some without.

>2. The Inverter main fuse failed from normal use.

Sometimes fuses are just tired, and die for no reason apparent. If it doesn't do it again, I'd chalk it up to chance.

>4. Batteries would not hold a charge beyond 85% (speculate that this is >because the trailer was manufactured 7 months ago?)

Hmm, how are you measuring that? If via system monitor, I'd just chuckle. If a real charge regulator, which you likely have with solar, probably a problem.

5. Now when plugged into power, system monitor does not register charge in excess of 50%??

Ours reads about 75% when plugged in; the voltmeter sez 13.7 (i.e. we're charging just dandy). The system monitors seem to be mostly junk, though ours does ok with the fresh water reading, for whatever reason.

>7. Cabinet corner molding detached at refrigerator side.
>8. Counter top moulding below sink and range detached.

Check and check. What do they make that stuff out of?!?! Heck, even contact paper would hold up better than that stuff.

>9. reading light near front table works intermittently.

Perhaps bulb or it's seating in socket. Those little halogen bulbs take a beating during travel; we carry several spares.

>10. Were not provided with crank to lower and raise the leveling jacks.

Ditto. Dealer then supplied one that was too short (but that seems to be standard, believe it or not)!. Trips to hardware store to insert a piece of threaded rod to lengthen.

Hope some of this helps.

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
i think that with any of these stories ,I would be very upset and would be towing straight back to the dealer you bought it from NOW!!
NO one would put up with this stuff on a new car or truck and your airstream costs that much or more so don't delay .

Good luck ,
really
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

boulder , Colorado
WOW...

What a great response in such a short amount of time. To those who asked I am dealing with Windish RV in Lakewood Colorado. We are taking it in tomorrow and I will be meeting with the owner / manager to discuss. For those considering let me also mention about this dealership...

Even though I declined they charged me for extended warranty... It was not worth my time to drive down and change it...

The Air Conditioner was marketed to work when not plugged in which it does not and did not cool at first attempt to pick up but was replaced by the time we did take posession.

As I mentioned the Refrigerator does NOT cool while in transit which seems ridiculous. As well the exhaust fan does not seem to run.. ever! The regrigerator did not work at ALL when we first took it out and were not plugged in and in careful inspection we found a disconnected wire for the autolight function in the pilot burner.

We LOVE the trailer but I am wondering if we can demand a replacement... Also can anyone attest to what a good price for this model trailer is? Like I said it has the flat panel TV, awesome sound system, solar panel, and ever other option I think was possible (maybe why it was still on the lot as an 06 in first week of May). The asking price was 49,950 with all installed options and we walked with the warranty for 40,500 and 500 in free gas card (which we still have not recieved). There was a special edition Safari 25' I could have picked up for around 35k without the TV but still aluminum interior. Do there tend to be less issues with the safari series?

D
Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Seriously!

Dieselboy -

Lets step back for a "moment" from the emotional situation with this trailer.....

Would you, for a MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, accept this level of 'satisfaction' from any other provider of service in your daily life????

Cell phone, gas, electric, trash service, lawn maintenance, etc....

This is something you PAID BIG $'s FOR!!!!!! Don't accept HALF-A**ED!!!!!!!

PERIOD!

Know nothing about your exact situation, dealer of otherwise - other than the posts, but this sort of 'thing' just really sets me off!!!

QC?
PDI?
Where is the 'standard of customer care'???

Hello?? AS/ JC? - Are you there???

The dealer sounds like he needs 'a square kick in the pants....'

Then again, I'm not on the ground there with you. Hope that you get ALL your concerns addressed!

THAT would be a great boost for what seems, of late, to be a flagging situation for TT's that should have never been let out of JC in the first place.

My .02 cents

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

boulder , Colorado
Being new can someone help with the terms?

I hope tomorrow will bring the expected results. I was wondering if someone could point out what all the acronyms mean to someone new to this forum? AC / JC? PDI? These may help me understand better your posts.

I promise to keep you all up to speed on how things are handled tomorrow. I am going to request a new unit seeing as how this one now feels (damaged?)

D
Old 06-16-2006, 05:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Hey dieselboy,

Sorry to hear of your plight. We had/still have some issues with our Bambi, most of which I feel would be best resolved by a trip to JC (Jackson Center). The peeling molding and black tank sensor was more tolerable than some of the more substantive problems, such as the fresh water plumbling leak behind the shower compartment (dealer resolved), and the aluminum dust spots on the white fabric ceiling. The dealer replaced the tank sensor, but from what I have learned here, the problem can only be resolved by proper calibration.

I'm sure you know the refrigerator exaust fan has a switch. I only mention this because a forum member recently didn't know where theirs was located. We found our leveler jack crank handle stashed away in a plastic storage contaner under the bed along with several other goodies such as an Airstream door mat, a voltage tester, and an extra plug adapter for the power cable.

My trailer was manufactured several months before we took delivery and the batteries (AGM) were 100%, and the solar charging system keeps them topped off nicely, so you may have a problem with your charging system. Our Fantastic Fan closes dependably at the first drop of rain.

I purchased the extended warranty, but I plan to have every issue resolved before the end of the Airstream 2 year warranty. Don't give up, and make them get it right. I would have gone ballistic if my trailer had all the issues that yours did. Best of luck, and please keep us posted.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
I hope tomorrow will bring the expected results. I was wondering if someone could point out what all the acronyms mean to someone new to this forum? AC / JC? PDI? These may help me understand better your posts.

I promise to keep you all up to speed on how things are handled tomorrow. I am going to request a new unit seeing as how this one now feels (damaged?)

D
The acronyms are as follows:
AC= shore power (AC is Alternating Current)
JC= Jackson Center- the factory
PDI= Pre-Delivery Inspection
There is a thread kicking around the forums about all the acronyms and what they mean, whenever you get a chance, just type in "acronyms" or Abbreviations" in the search area at the top of the forums page.
Also, I noticed in one of your posts that the salesman told you the air conditioner would work when not plugged in to shore power, that is simply not true, as far as I know there has never been a successful 12 volt air conditioner ever built, nor has one ever been factory-installed on an Airstream product. Your fridge will not cool when not plugged into shore power, unless you switch it over to LP, you can try this when you get the pilot igniter hooked back up, there are many threads on running the fridge while towing. Also, RV frdiges are not known for be spectacular at cooling , and there are many threads here about that, as well.
Once upon a time, I purchased a new automobile, and had many quality issues with it. The dealer, after making the repairs, refunded me the amount of the extended warranty, and allowed me to keep the warranty as well. That may help take the sour taste out of your mouth on some of the other problems you are having, besides, if the coach was a leftover unit, they most likely will not have a comparable unit to swap out for you, and moving up a year to a more expensive coach will probably not be in the cards, even if they want to do it.
Let us know how everything turns out, and good luck.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
If you think thats bad try the dealer in Ontario Canada.

drive safe
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Your fridge should work fine on gas... make sure the gas is turned on, purge the lines of air by starting the stove for a minute, then switch the fridge to gas and it should start. It may take a few tries to get air out of the line.

Your air conditioner will not work without the trailer being plugged into at least a 20 amp 110 volt outlet, using a short, heavy duty, cord.

Your water heater fire sounds BAD. Has the water heater been fixed?

The trim problems and monitor problems are minor and typical.

The Fantastic Fan problem... I have never actually tested mine to see if it will close automatically if it rains. Sometimes mine sticks closed after being left in the closed position for months.

The Bambi line and Safari line are made by the same people, using mostly the same parts. You should not see a quality difference. I am surprised that a 19' Bambi would be so much more expensive than a 25' Safari... I much prefer the larger Safari.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Yea!! for vintage Airstreams. You never really know what trouble you're buying and you really don't care. The joy is in the fixing, changing, polishing, loving--and then going! (where's the "wind in your hair" emoticon when you need it?) They're always a "great deal" when you buy them, then piles of unexpected dollars later they are still good deals.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

boulder , Colorado
Much Attention at Dealership

So we were recieved by the owner / manager of Windish today and was assured that all would be corrected, tested, retested and then another PDI before they deliver it back to us. The idea of replacement was discarded by management as they felt they could easily get this trailer to the right condition for us. I will say this...

They tried to charge us 480.00 big ones for the window that shattered. I refused to pay as I see it as a design flaw that opening the window using the engineered mechanics could cause it to break? Sorry.. aint gonna happen here.

The trailer refrigerator cools just fine when on LP but the "auto" button is then a bit misleading. If you have it set to auto, would it not use electric if available and revert to gas when electric is not?

The fridge exhause fan switch for us is just to the left inside the door and has no effect. Ill keep you all updated with how this plays out...
Old 06-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #19
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Your Limon

Sorry that you've started out with such a bad experience of the Airstream.

Quick question, does Colorado have a "limon law" as does California? If so, you just have to report it to the state consumer affairs, and the dealer has to make it right with a refund or a new vehicle/trailer.
I know that i've kinda over simplified it but hopefully my point was made.

R/
Safari-rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy
The trailer refrigerator cools just fine when on LP but the "auto" button is then a bit misleading. If you have it set to auto, would it not use electric if available and revert to gas when electric is not?

The fridge exhaust fan switch for us is just to the left inside the door and has no effect. Ill keep you all updated with how this plays out...
I think (not 100% sure) the "auto" setting uses 120 volts, then reverts to LP when no shore power is available. The fridge fan is to help cool your fridge coils, and keep the overall temp a bit lower inside it, but I would say it only makes a few degree difference.
Also, a hint if you are a light sleeper like me: turn the fan off at night, as that little bitty fan can sound like a jet engine at 3 AM...