Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
texas , Texas
Thinking about buying a pad

I have been thinking about finding a few acres in a really great spot in the mountains in NM or Co. Would have 3 or 4 gravel pads, 30Amp, water and dump. Would build a cover for at least one pad to park under during snow. Not a permanent spot but one that would always be open and would be used as a rally point and "base camp". Any one out there who has a permanent pad that could give some pros and cons. I would not set this up as a rental but rather a place friends could park from time to time.

If you are reading this, it means I have made it another day!!!
GoWhereTowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
That is a very interesting idea. We have considered a spot, but walk away from the idea as being too restrictive over time and too much hassle to find and develop. Certainly interested in your experience as you progress.

It would seem more appropriate to build either a bunker that is dug into a hill or barn enclosure to provide snow protection. Would be concerned about drifting as well as falling snow. Since the Airstream is not a 4 season trailer, a little extra weatherization help might be appropriate for cold weather use. Maybe fences would add value with less cost and hassle.

The use of shipping containers is a suggestion that was provided in a prior thread on developing a covered storage location.

The advantage to an open area is that it might be less of an attractive nuisance when not occupied and that has significant security value.

Good luck on your investigation. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
interested and following
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
You asked for pros and cons

The advantages are sort of obvious.

The main disadvantage is much like that of having a vacation home, only worse. You might feel like you need to always be spending your free time utilizing what you spent a bit of money on. The beauty of having an RV is the ability to explore new places and go where you want.

Before you close on a specific plot of land, I would check with zoning laws, and if the power company is willing to hook up power to a plot with no building.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
texas , Texas
Appreciate all weighing in. Just recently sold a vacation home in Santa Fe and while I worried every day about something going wrong with the house, I would not have those concerns here. Good suggestions about zoning laws and power, etc, that would be a certainty before any land was purchased. Great thing about having a place I could always depend on having available, many of my other trips would be in NM, CO, Utah, etc and I would be much closer to venture out from there.
If you are reading this, it means I have made it another day!!!
GoWhereTowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We've been thinking about this too but having a summer and winter spot and then travel between them during Spring and Fall.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Great thing about having a place I could always depend on having available
You can aways find a place to camp. Without the carrying costs.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Morrow , Ohio
I've got several friends with pads , used them for years as vacation stays then built a cabin . Now I get to use them . One even put a shed 12 X 6 and set up a washer / dryer . Only down is no cover , it's under trees and now I'll worry about tree limbs and hale.

Ninanet is offline   Reply With Quote