Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I luv this thread

Great memories here....
While I was in Pilot training at Williams AFB, near Phoenix, my Class had a planned weekend at a local resevoir and river tubing spot. I got selected to fly a solo training flight that same day....missing the party. I planted three Mach buster type booms on them that morning and heard feedback the next Monday that it was REALLY effective. Seems as though the Squadron Commander did not appreciate the local complaints from my regulation busting booms. We had a not so nice conversation.

In another memorable flight, years later,I was on a low level B-52 practice bomb run by La Junta, Colorado. At an altitude around 100 feet at 390 knots, I saw a 50's black Cadillac pulling an RV along a desert road crossing our route......dead center. The rest of that story would have to be his......but, I can imagine what happened when our hulk passed over in that remote area, out of nowhere, especially at that power setting, altitude and speed. No BOOM, but effect the same. It was not n Airstream.

Melody Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Gotta LUV THIS!!!!!

Hello all -

LUV!, just LUV poppin' into this thread on occation to see what AWESOME things folks here have in thier memory banks....

The "out of left (or right) field" stuff is truly unlike anything else I have come across in other reading on the net or elsewhere.... (where is AS Life?? when you need them? - Hello, FEATURE!!!!! )

Keep it coming folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE reading the stuff you recollect.... and wonder why my life is SO, SO, SO ordinary?!

You guys and gals all, have THE LIFE...!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, love the material and be sure to keep it coming...

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
This was a bit scary actually. I was up at 4AM getting ready to go salmon fishing with my buddies. We were camped at Goldspring Government Campground just north of Victoria, BC. I'm doing my morning constitutional when all of a sudden the door explodes in complete with a foot sticking through it. Suddenly there's three guys standing there looking at me and one says "oh sorry, we are looking for a girl who disappeared in the campground".

With that they disappeared. We learned later the girl had crawled into one of the campers cars when she got cold and fell asleep. I never did see the three fellows again and I did tell the park warden they had a door to fix. When I explained what happened he wondered the same thing I did - why didn't they knock on the door or ask who was in there and wait for me to come out? Weird and I guess in the heat of the moment people do strange things.

I can tell you that the next morning I hummed a tune while sitting so people would know not only was I in there but I was obviously alone as no one else could stand to hear me so far out of tune .

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #32
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
OK, I knew I had this shot somewhere, just took me a while to dig it up! My wingman breaking Mach. This actually ended up at one point on the Navy's website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tomcatbarr[1].jpg
Views:	57
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	57333  
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #33
The Hawk's Lair
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
As a former Agent of the FAA, I have to say SHAME SHAME! You may not plant your sonic booms over the conterminous United States!!!

However, as a lover of aviation I say, YOU GO GUYS! I love the thump in the chest when the boom hits.
There is no "I" in the word "team," but there are four in "Platitude Quoting Idiot!"

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My wife and son experienced a boom, although not at night. We were down in a campground near Tallahassee Fl. I was gone at the time, but about 8 sites down, a trailer exploded to what was a propane leak. We were not damaged although when I got back to the site, the area was littered with fiberglass.

Thankfully no one was in trailer at the time and no other campers received damage. Literally all that was left standing was the floor of the trailer. The walls and roof were blown down.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
That's scary.

I see one burned down in the Vancouver area last week with a fellow trapped inside. A sad ending in this case. My Dad was a gas inspector and now and then he'd take us out on an inspection of an explosion. It was sobering to a young teenager to see what can happen when people are not religious about maintaining their propane systems.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote