Old 03-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
It's always a double boom with the Shuttle. We shook with it too last night.

Tom

Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
It's always a double boom with the Shuttle. We shook with it too last night.

Tom
And it's not because it's traveling at mach2, it supposedly is from the leading and trailing edges each creating their own wave.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
We're camped in Pioneer park at Zolfo Springs, Florida and thought that a tree had fallen on the trailer. It sure shakes things up down here.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Do you remember this?

Talking about big things making noise in the sky, when I was a teenager, there was this big thing in space called Skylab. It fell in 1979. There was a big bruhaha over where the thing would land, fortunatly Rural Australia took the hit. I imagine it made quite a racket when it came down. Does anybody else remember that?

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Aircraft and Night Sounds

When I was in junior high in the ’60s in Paris, Arkansas the Air Force was conducting very low-level flight training in that area. Paris is in the Arkansas River Valley and has an elevation of 430’ according to my Arkansas Aeronautical Chart. Paris is located about 10½ miles from the top of Mt. Magazine, the highest point in the state at 2979’. What you get is a mix of delta and neighboring mountains much like, say, Southeast Asia.

No sonic booms from the buffs, but they are very impressive aircraft at just 200 to 300 feet above you and put out a mighty roar. The abundant booms came from the F4s.

One other sound in the night story came from the monthly Good Sam publication back in the ’80s. The writer had arrived and setup after dark. He then retired for a pleasant repose after dinner and adult beverages. In the middle of the night he heard his water pressure up for no reason making that brief “bdrumph” sound we all know so well. He got up and checked and, sure enough, the pump was turned off. This kept happening through the night. Well, something else to work on in the morning. When he got up, he saw that there was a railroad crossing behind his campsite that he didn’t see in the dark. He had been hearing cars cross the tracks, not his pump.

Skylab, oh yeah, I remember that too. In fact I used to call my hook shot my Skylab instead of a Skyhook because once I put it up, you never knew where it was going to come down. Certainly nowhere near the hoop!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The night before the shuttle landing we had a great fly over view in Phoenix at around 8 PM. The shuttle had separated from the ISS and they could both be seen as separate objects in the sky. You can see when the ISS is going to be visible in your area from this website: Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I was startled awake at 4 am one morning by a house shaking, bed thumping, crackling loud explosion. My mind was racing, trying to make sense of this noise that I had never heard before in my life.

The only logical explanation I could come up with, in my fog infused, just-waking-up brain, was that the furnace had exploded. I ran to check the furnace and everything was ok. I ran outside frantically checking the house, the roof, the yard asking myself, "could it have been something falling from the sky?" Nothing found. Everything was intact.

Was I dreaming? Thinking not much more of it I went back to bed. Just as I was falling back to sleep, it happened again! The sound crackled ominiously louder and the bed vibrated. Heart thumping, I decided to call 911. That is where I found the answer to the mystery. It was an earthquake and its aftershocks. This was the first time in quite awhile that New England experienced an earthquake. Nothing was broken in our home, there were no superman-like chasms in the ground but we were left scratching our heads and wondering if this is what life is like in California where they are more prone to quakes than the East coast is.

BTW, I took out an earthquake rider on my homeowners insurance policy later that day. The earthquake risk is very low in New England so my payment is only an extra $18 a year. But, at least I have peace of mind.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I was standing in an office with a work peer in downtown Vancouver, BC very early one morning when it sounded like a train coming right through the office. Things started moving on his desk, a glass of water was really shaking, and then it got real quiet. Did it again a moment later and that was that. It was early enough that many people were probably still in bed (5:30 AM). Earthquake. First one I'd experienced while awake. One morning at home in White Rock, BC I got up and as I walked down the hallway I noticed that all the pictures were crooked. Couldn't figure it out, then noticed all the pictures in the house were tilted. In the news that day they noted we'd had a shaker in the middle of the night. I should have known when I woke up and both cats were under the blankets tight against me and not too anxious to get out of bed when I did.

Barry
Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #23
BuzzKat

2006 28' Safari
Welsh , Louisiana
Things that go ka-boom

My experience with booming noises was not from the Space Shuttle. I first thought a propane tank blew somewhere in the park. Ran outside in jammies and slippers, like everyone else, and found out a tire had blown out on one of the other trailers parked nearby. The owner knew the tires were old and dry rotten and ended up changing all the next day. Like we say in South Louisiana "Poooo-yie that was something cher!"
buzzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
REDNAX, we were awakened in Rowlett (east Dallas suburb) by the shuttle explosion. We had no idea what it was, but found out later.

I used to live just off Barksdale Blvd. in Shreveport, right down the road from Barksdale AFB, home of the B-52. One night some friends and I were at my apartment when all of a sudden a horrific roar started and the building started shaking. It was so loud we could literally not hear each other speak, and had to yell! We ran out to the balcony and looked up, and against the clear nighttime sky, saw tiiiiny little lights moving across the stars.

We found out the next day that a B-52 had gone to full burn over the city (which they were not allowed to do). It was AMAZING what a loud and earth-shaking experience that was!

I also have a couple friends who had hiked up a mountain (forgot where, now) and pitched a small tent to sleep in. As they were opening the tent in the morning to get their day started, they were buzzed in an EXTREMELY low-level pass by two A-10's, who were doing what looked like terrain-hugging maneuvers!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Many years ago at a drag strip we were camped and a buddy was on the outside of a tent trailer fold out, in was on the inside of the fold out "wing" and another couple of guys were on the other side. All of a sudden there was a loud bang and it got suddenly very cold on my back. I sat up and that half of the fold out was not on the ground, complete with my friend looking up wondering what the heck happened. We laughed for a long time over that.

He got the best end of the bargain though because he moved into the back seat of the car for the rest or the night, I got the middle floor of the camper and it was darned cold in there.

Barry
Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Aircraft Encounters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
REDNAX, we were awakened in Rowlett (east Dallas suburb) by the shuttle explosion. We had no idea what it was, but found out later.

I used to live just off Barksdale Blvd. in Shreveport, right down the road from Barksdale AFB, home of the B-52. One night some friends and I were at my apartment when all of a sudden a horrific roar started and the building started shaking. It was so loud we could literally not hear each other speak, and had to yell! We ran out to the balcony and looked up, and against the clear nighttime sky, saw tiiiiny little lights moving across the stars.

We found out the next day that a B-52 had gone to full burn over the city (which they were not allowed to do). It was AMAZING what a loud and earth-shaking experience that was!

I also have a couple friends who had hiked up a mountain (forgot where, now) and pitched a small tent to sleep in. As they were opening the tent in the morning to get their day started, they were buzzed in an EXTREMELY low-level pass by two A-10's, who were doing what looked like terrain-hugging maneuvers!

Susan
When I rebuilt irrigation motors in the northwest Texas panhandle, we would often do work on them out in the fields. They were mostly 800 CID Minneapolis Molines that had 3 block of 2 attached to a common crankcase with an individual head on each block. You could change out the heads in the field in 5 to 5½ hours. It was a popular repair for the mechanics since it paid well and with the travel time, made for a short day since by the time you got back to the shop, it wasn’t worth starting something else.

I was out in a field almost in New Mexico swapping out the heads when a T-38 Talon doing low-level maneuvers spotted me. He made an extremely fast low-level “strafing” run, scaring the “heKK” out of me. Then, about every 15 or 20 minutes, he would do it again from a different direction. If you have ever been to an air show where performers like the Blue Angles sneak up on the crowd unannounced from an unexpected direction, which they do every time, you understand the chances of self preservation against a jet aircraft. It really is awesome in every sense of the word. They are on you and gone before you can detect them and all you can do is see them leave.

Little Rock Airforce Base has an excellent air show every year. A couple of years ago I was looking at a C-130 tanker that was parked next to a T-38. (LRAFB is the C-130 training base. Pilots come from all over the world to train in C-130s there) The pilot of the tanker was killing time by straightening the fuel drogue on the tip of the wing next to the T-38. I started taking to him, and he mentioned how much he missed flying them. When I told him the “strafing run” story, he asked when. I told him it was in the early ’80s and he got this sort of guilty look and said, “That could have been me.”
Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
My wife came running to find me when she heard the boom from the shuttle the other night and thought it was me falling down...Nice to know she thinks I am so coordinated... at least she check.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I was tent camping in Myrtle Beach, SC many years ago (60’s) just getting ready to eat breakfast when we heard a very loud boom, crash, I ran around the tent to find out what was going on.
Our camping neighbor came running out of his camper with shaving cream on his face razor in hand. A huge limb had broken off a tree and landed smack in the middle of his camper doing major damage.

Garry