Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the headlights on my Lincoln have been polished, but deterioration of the plastic prevents them from looking like new.
Did you use a 3M headlight restoration kit with a drill? If you do your headlights will be restored to like new and for under $20. UV protectant/sealant after is a good idea.

3M Headlight Restoration Kit is leaps and bounds better than other products on the market. I speak from personal experience working installs (tint/headlight/suspension/stereo shop). Bottles of headlight rubbing compound are UNUSEABLE in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
why not just go with glass and never have to worry about that?
Glass is more likely to break in an impact and is more difficult to cast. It is also heavier both as a part and to ship. Loads of reasons why mfr prefer plastic. Mfr use parts because they are easy/cheap and make sense. They build things to be sold and make money not to be repaired. Everything else is just marketing.

Ultimately, a beancounter somewhere found that plastic headlights make way more sense for the companies to use than glass and represent a bigger profit margin in the long run.

Anyhow... IF WE ARE GONNA MAKE A LAW CAN WE GET THOSE KIDS LOW-RIDIN' THEIR PANTS AT THE BOTTOMS OF THEIR BUTTCHEEKS PUBLICLY SPANKED?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalStreamr View Post
Did you use a 3M headlight restoration kit with a drill? If you do your headlights will be restored to like new and for under $20. UV protectant/sealant after is a good idea.

3M Headlight Restoration Kit is leaps and bounds better than other products on the market. I speak from personal experience working installs (tint/headlight/suspension/stereo shop). Bottles of headlight rubbing compound are UNUSEABLE in comparison.

Hi, my professional detailer at the dealer that I retired from did his best on my headlights, but you can polish them until the moon turns blue and you won't get the the little internal cracks out of the lense. Mine has cracks and discoloration on the inside too.

Glass is more likely to break in an impact and is more difficult to cast. It is also heavier both as a part and to ship. Loads of reasons why mfr prefer plastic. Mfr use parts because they are easy/cheap and make sense. They build things to be sold and make money not to be repaired. Everything else is just marketing.

Hi, cheaper and easier for the manufacturer, but not for the consumer. $500.00 each for OEMs.

Ultimately, a beancounter somewhere found that plastic headlights make way more sense for the companies to use than glass and represent a bigger profit margin in the long run.

Hi, big profit twice, once when the vehicle was new and when you have to replace them.

Anyhow... IF WE ARE GONNA MAKE A LAW CAN WE GET THOSE KIDS LOW-RIDIN' THEIR PANTS AT THE BOTTOMS OF THEIR BUTTCHEEKS PUBLICLY SPANKED?
Hi, I would like to be about 100 yards away when I shoot them in the rear with a BB gun. And have someone in front recording their reaction on video.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Polishing the outside does nothing for the internal discoloration and degradation.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Polishing the outside does nothing for the internal discoloration and degradation.
Exactly!

You can get the outside better, but that's not all there is.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Its really not difficult to "split the light". We do it all the time. Its how I got my angel eyes in (bmw style).
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...light+clearing
Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS

Hi, I would like to be about 100 yards away when I shoot them in the rear with a BB gun. And have someone in front recording their reaction on video.
Im surprised the insurance industry is behind this. I backed into a rental car several years ago at the airport in the parking garage, knocked out the headlight with my drop hitch and they nailed my Insurance Co for $700 bucks! Ida rather paid it outa pocket because that plus my one ticket in twenty years bumped my premium by 20% for three years! I like the old $15 sealed beams.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I used to buy a new truck when the windshield got dirty, but since the Great Recession I've had to wait until the headlights got foggy. It gives new meaning to the term "fog lights".

And while we are at it, why are those round lights low in the bumper called fog lights? They don't do much of anything except annoy people coming the other way and light up the road for a few score feet. I thought the idea of fog lights was to reduce glare by turning off the headlights, but the fog lights are only on when the headlights are on low beam defeating the purpose. Although a yellow lens doesn't really improve visibility, at least they made me think they did something—now the lens is clear (for a while).

So, here's the law: "No Automobile or truck manufacturer shall manufacture a motor vehicle that has stupid things as part of said motor vehicle, such stupidity to be determined by members of the AirForum, and, furthermore, as examples of said stupidity, bumpers shall bump without damage, headlights shall remain clear, and all motor vehicles shall be equipped to tow Airstreams, go fast and get 145 miles per gallon."

Our headlights have held up well and when they go bad, I'll guess we will stay home at night. There's nothing much to do around here at night except watch the cows eat. Maybe we can go back to the headlight pods of the '30's. Can you tow with a Bugatti?

Gene
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Gene: What about subsection 2, paragraph 4

That states that all Airstreams must have LED's.

Without that you can't get my vote.

Randy Bowman
Old 05-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
That states that all Airstreams must have LED's.

Without that you can't get my vote.

Randy Bowman
I'm not against that, but to get my vote the county has to pave my driveway or I will filibuster, except I'll just say I will because it is too much work to actually do it and I don't want to miss a fundraiser.

Gene
Old 05-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #38
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I'm not against that, but to get my vote the county has to pave my driveway or I will filibuster, except I'll just say I will because it is too much work to actually do it and I don't want to miss a fundraiser.

Gene
At the last minute, when the rest of you are at your fund raisers, I will sneak in an amendment ruling that all RV warranties (except mine) are invalid, because RVIA donated a lot of money to my campaign.

Ken
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Ken,
I will trump you and your legions of followers by distracting you with an attack and no declaration of war somewhere in the world. Just to insure that your attentions are purely elsewhere, I will ask congress to leak my plan to cut your social security, up your retirement age and eliminate medicare. Hahahaha, you will be too ill, broke and distracted to keep me from passing any new legislation I want unopposed! I will take over the world!!!!! Muhahahahaha
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #40
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Exclamation Not so fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Ken,
I will trump you and your legions of followers by distracting you with an attack and no declaration of war somewhere in the world. Just to insure that your attentions are purely elsewhere, I will ask congress to leak my plan to cut your social security, up your retirement age and eliminate medicare. Hahahaha, you will be too ill, broke and distracted to keep me from passing any new legislation I want unopposed! I will take over the world!!!!! Muhahahahaha
Too late! I'm already retired, and have private insurance. However out of sheer boredom, I'm considering a world takeover as soon as I finish loading the dishwasher and folding my laundry.

Whatever you do don't mess with my wife's upcoming retirement, I'm tired of all this house work.

Ken
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
While you guys have been taking over the world, I arranged to have your headlights painted black so you can't follow me while I take your Airstreams. I don't need no laws because I know the loopholes.

Gene
Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #42
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I'm considering a world takeover
Ken

Seems like an awful lot of bother......

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote