Old 01-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #15
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
37 Years

I have been camping for 37 years now and have never had anything stolen, but I guess times are a changin'. From tent to AS, never a problem. When tent camping you usually have no choice but to leave things out. You would like to think that you are surrounded by like minded people who too leave gear out. I would imagine it has to do with non-campers coming in for easy pickings.

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Fortunately, I've never had anything stolen while camping, but have written many theft reports for those less fortunate. Typically, they were crimes of opportunity, like bikes, coolers, barbeques, etc. Sometimes just kids borrowing stuff. Break/entries were rare. On a rare occasion, there was a more organized effort by a group that would come for a temporary visit with the intent of stealing everything not nailed down. At the risk of profiling, some of the things we looked for was a group of 3-6 units where the TV's and trailers were registered in different states (sometimes to different owners), and the driver was licensed in yet another state. They would usually cause a distraction in another area of the park, which would require the attention of the enforcement staff, while they worked the campgrounds. Naturally, they always left at night, well before checkout time.

We never had any problems with those large groups of campers in those fine looking silver trailers.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The only theft during travel I have experienced has been in a motel. The only violent break-in during travel- again in a motel. No one was hurt, other than the door but I was scared.
As a camp host I try and greet each camper and advise them if they are doing something which may lead to theft. "You know it may not be safe to leave your tackle box and fishing pole next to the road when you go hiking." "You might want to put your stereo and CD collection inside when you drive into town." Handy hints like that are often helpful to eliminating theft. Common sense and a orderly campsite will keep most thieves at bay.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
The only think I had stolen was a tarp I was drying out on the empty campsite next to us... maybe stolen by somebody who thought the previous owners had 'forgot it'.

This reminds me of a funny story from a few years back...

The camp superintendent came over to our site and asked if we had seen the people on the site next door.... which we hadn't. Turns out they left EVERYTHING and just went home. Apparently this occassionally happens.. maybe spouses had a fight, or simply they are just city folk that live in apartments that go camping once in a blue moon, buy their gear, and just abandon it when there camping trip is over

Hope nobody does this with an Airstream!
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #19
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
. . . and just abandon it when there camping trip is over

Excellent idea!

I think you should have some cards printed with your phone number. Then you can be the first one there to claim it.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hello all -

Interesting thread going here. I believe that the 'protection' mentioned, really boils down to one simple and easy thing. Make them (the crooks) take their time with your stuff.

IF your stuff is worth the time and aggrivation to crooks, well then, it's GONE! Period. NO matter the level of care, equipment or oversight. Period. File that Insurance claim, because that is all you have left.

My theory, is make'em spend as much time with my /your trailer as possible. That means multiple levels of "BOTHER" at every step - the toungue (LOCKED), the wheels (LOCKED), and the Stabilizer jacks down (Up Control is LOCKED) and the generalized 'aura' of the trailer is one of defense, and "I'm gonna make you WORK to get this trailer off site"....

There are MANY other far more easily removed trailers all around you. Given the state of security at my SilverToy, I would venture to guess that they will move on in immediate hurry. To another SOB where there aren't these 'trips' set up in a series....

SilverToy is destined to live a long and hopefully prospress life within the family she now has.....

Hey folks, do the next best thing you can to keep the crooks from thinking about your trailer for more than a minute - multiple looking locking systems that all need time to overcome or be beat, are great; active and invloved neighbors are a FANTASTIC assett, and well as just making that AS look 'unattractive' compared to all the more profitable rigs standing all about....!????!!

Living in DC/ Philly and Chicago does give you more than a few MAD skills about faking out the crooks that are looking for an easy hit. Make em move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My .02 cents!

Axel
SilverToy
You mentioned the up control. I am not certain that you meant the electric jack.I have been concerned with the electric up and down jack because there is no locking mechanism. Do you by chance know a simple way of turning this system off. The fact that it is always on certainly eases theft of the trailer let alone other problems that could be caused by vandals.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Remote solar panels

We have a 75W solar panel with a freestanding mount. We used it with our Scamp for three years.
We have not had any problems with theft. Usually we leave the panel attached during daytime sightseeing, but at a few sites we have secured the panel in the truck or trailer, just in case. We know that we take chances by not securing it, but being able to park in good shade and still orient the panels for maximum efficiency has seemed worth the risk.
We have not yet installed a controller in Bandit, but might get it done before our upcoming trip in March. We've considered installing it on the roof, but think we'll keep it portable for now.
The bigger decision seems to be the battery ... we're considering altering the tongue arrangement to accomodate a 30lb propane bottle in front of two 6V batteries ... or 2 6V gels mounted beneath the bed (behind the standard 20lb propane tanks). Decisions, decisions.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #22
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Woodedareas,

First I would get a Cam-lock from Campingworld that locks the battery compartment. My '04 did not have this, so I installed one in about 3 minutes. Maybe the '07's have them pre-installed.

There is a (on our unit) a thin black wire that goes to one of the possitive terminals of one of the two batteries. That is the wire for the jack (again, on ours) and the reason you can't shut off the jack itself.

I simply remove that wire and tuck it beside the battery. Jack disconnected. No worrying someone is going to monkey with the jack. When I want to use jack, I just lay that jack wire on the positive terminal, and now have power to the jack head. For us, this is a real simple solution. We used to remove the in-line fuse below the jack head, but the fuse cover finally broke off.

Jonathan
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #23
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
The camp superintendent came over to our site and asked if we had seen the people on the site next door.... which we hadn't. Turns out they left EVERYTHING and just went home. Apparently this occassionally happens.. maybe spouses had a fight, or simply they are just city folk that live in apartments that go camping once in a blue moon, buy their gear, and just abandon it when there camping trip is over

We saw this happen once. I pictured the guy digging a hole in the woods.....
Maybe they just left.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
The only thing we've had stolen from us was our next night's steak dinner out of the cooler, by raccoons when we were tent camping in the Everglades National Park. It wasn't funny then but it is now.

Many years ago, we were camped (with a camping trailer) in Oak Creek Canyon, AZ, a beautiful place to visit. Some vagrants came through the campground during the day when everyone was out enjoying the area. They got away with food and bedding from the tent campers. Our stuff was locked inside the camping trailer, which doesn't provide the security of the Airstream, but it was harder to get to than the tent camps. We didn't lose anything, and met some new friends sharing our extras with those who were victimized.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I had a set of aircraft aluminum wheel chocks stolen at a private campground at Myrtle Beach SC about 20 years ago. Some folks pulled in next to us with a wreck of a trailer that they had just bought. They didn't have anything like fresh water hoses, sewer hose, wheel chocks, or stabilizer jacks for the trailer. They bought some of this stuff in town. Bottom line their fun was sitting out getting snookered while the kids ran loose. The leaking hose formed a puddle next to the door of the trailer that turned into a mud pool which the kids slid in. One of the guys in the trailer broke or sprained his leg and that pretty much ended their outing.

All I know is they were packing up to go home, we went into town for a few hours, and when we got back those folks were gone and so were my aluminum wheel chocks. I'm sure they took them.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #26
Aluminum Addict

Gastonia , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
You mentioned the up control. I am not certain that you meant the electric jack.I have been concerned with the electric up and down jack because there is no locking mechanism. Do you by chance know a simple way of turning this system off. The fact that it is always on certainly eases theft of the trailer let alone other problems that could be caused by vandals.
It wasn't a power jack that the "means kids" used. They raised the front of the trailer as high as it would go while I was away. The rear stabilizing jacks were bent, but I was concerned for the refrigerator being operated off level. Fortunately, all is now OK. I lock the manual hitch jack with a steel cable.
Fortunately, I have never had anything taken while I have been camping. But, this thread can make us all better aware and informed. Thanks...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Never had anything stolen at the camp site; however, had the hitch stolen off my truck at the shopping center. Can you imagine someone doing that in broad daylight. They must have needed it very badly.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Stolen Hitches

I have seen quite a few hitches NOT locked into the receiver on the truck or TV. I do see quite a few hitches for sale at the local flea market I frequent. Guess it might be a lucrative market. Any money a theif makes is pure profit.

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote