Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
The scamming on my Argosy continues....

I am totally fried with ebay. The auction is over, but the scams continue...

Now, one of the lower bidders on my Argosy auction contacted me that she received a second chance offer that I did NOT send. Fortunately for this one bidder, she lives right here in Lapeer so she had come to see the trailer, so she KNEW I was not offering it at this low price! Here is the offer she received, it looks so real...but that is NOT my email address to contact to finish sale! I tried to report to ebay...but my account is not compromised, so the person is just impersonating me. I just hope the other bidders don't take the bait! I debated contacting the false email to play along/get after this scammer, but I am too terrified they will send me a virus or something...

----- Original Message ----- From: 2ndChance@ebay.com
To:
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 12:50 AM
Subject: eBay Second Chance Offer for Item 270021991321

eBay sent this message to goldie217green.
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
Second Chance OffereBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Second Chance Offer Item: 1978 Airstream Argosy 27 Excellent Updated Condition! (270021991321)This message was sent after the listing closed. Good news! The following eBay item on which you placed a bid for US $2,115.00 on Aug-30-06 16:02:02 PDT is now available for purchase: 1978 Airstream Argosy 27 Excellent Updated Condition! (270021991321)Your Price: US $2,115.00 Offer end date: 5 business days Second Chance Offer
The seller is making this Second Chance Offer because the high bidder was either unable to complete the transaction or the seller has a duplicate item for sale.

The selling of this item through Second Chance Offer is in compliance with eBay policy; you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for all eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection.
Act Now - This Offer Expires Soon
To take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly. This offer expires in 5 days.

You may purchase this item by contacting the seller in this email gary.smithss@gmail.com

To learn more about Second Chance Offer, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/personal_offer.html

Thank you for using eBay!http://www.ebay.com/Marketplace Safety Tip You can be sure a Second Chance Offer is from your seller when you get the eBay invoice. Is this email inappropriate? Does it violate eBay policy? Help protect the community by reporting it. See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.
Privacy Policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-policy.html
User Agreement: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html
Copyright © 2005 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you might pass it along to the FBI internet fraud division.

http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/internetschemes.htm

john

Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Happens all the time...

...but don't blame eBay. It is not their fault and they have done MUCH to help people identify spoof offers.

I get the spoof emails all the time after I bid on expensive ticketed items.

Two things to do:

1) eBay account holders should know that copies of any second chance offers will be in their eBay message list. So before you respond to a second chance offer, go to "my eBay" and check your messages. If there isn't a second chance offer message, then the email is a spoof.

2) Forward the spoof email to spoof@ebay.com. eBay takes this VERY seriously and will investigate the email and report it to the proper authorities (including the FBI, if necessary).

Education is KEY to defeating the spoofers. You might want to add a note with the above informatoin to any future large ticket auction listings. Just my advice.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thank-you...I feel a little better knowing this happens to other people too! I tried reporting to ebay also. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Scamming on my Argosy

Froggie,

This just happened to our friends that had a Caravanner on ebay. Both the buyer and the seller reported it to ebay but nothing has been done.

I don't think I would want to sell a big ticket item on ebay anymore.

Lee Pace
72 tradewind
Greenville, Tx.
WBCCI 7287
Old 09-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
I am beginning to feel that way too. That the hassle and stress is not worth it....but yet listing it on online sites I still get scam offers to buy it. I am thinking about advertising in the good old newspaper....but I still might try one more time on ebay with the trailer in a month or so.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Suggest that you make it very clear in your ad that you do not offer second chance and if one comes through it is a scam and should be reported to eBay. That may short circuit this scam stuff a bit. Neither I nor many friends I've spoken to have had a lot of luck with vendors on eBay. Wrong parts, short shipped, late/late/late delivery and the vendors threaten with a bad report and they have hundreds or thousands of responses so my bad report on them is miniscule versus them to my few purchases so they have a big hammer. I've spoken to a LOT of folks over the past year who consider eBay to have become a haven for scammers. It's too bad as there are many credible service providers who use it and add a significant value to the market place. But I work too hard for my money to have some slimeball scam me so I go the purchase-direct route now and have saved myself from a lot of angst.
Barry
Old 09-13-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
That is a great idea, to say that I don't offer second chance! I have had lots of transactions on ebay that were for small stuff, books I wanted, toys, etc. and have had no trouble. I think it is the big stuff that is more prone to the scammers. I know what you mean, if you don't have a lot of feedback it can be harder on you than on them if you do a bad report.

I am getting several scam offers a day still on the trailer....so much so that one today SEEMED okay but the way they worded it still got my suspicions up. I have started to tell all seemingly legitimate inquirys that I only will sell to someone in person who shows up at my house to inspect the trailer, and negotiates at that time. Anyone truly interested in the trailer has called me on the phone anyway.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfa
...but don't blame eBay. It is not their fault and they have done MUCH to help people identify spoof offers.

I get the spoof emails all the time after I bid on expensive ticketed items.

Two things to do:

1) eBay account holders should know that copies of any second chance offers will be in their eBay message list. So before you respond to a second chance offer, go to "my eBay" and check your messages. If there isn't a second chance offer message, then the email is a spoof.

2) Forward the spoof email to spoof@ebay.com. eBay takes this VERY seriously and will investigate the email and report it to the proper authorities (including the FBI, if necessary).

Education is KEY to defeating the spoofers. You might want to add a note with the above informatoin to any future large ticket auction listings. Just my advice.
Bull .. Ebay could use a system of verified identy to allow people to post or bid. Just like Paypal tries to do when you open a verified account. Then everything is only between identified persons. An occasional compromised account may occur but nothing like it is now. Of course they have a responsiblity.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
Ebay

Hello All;

I have had excel;lent results on Ebay with over 60 items purchased. I even recieved a breakaway system that arrived with a damaged case. I notified the seller for his info and not complaining. He immediately shipped a replacement priority mail. I do look at the sellers feedback and if they have an Ebay store; both give you good indicators.

My account was hacked one time, but I immediately caught the change when Ebay notified me of my request to change my Email address. The only repercussion is that I now have a seller's account but no cost incured, Ebay did respond and investigate the incident.

The spoof Emails are mostly sent to the big Email providers such as Hotmail and Netscape, and there targets are not just Ebay. You can set up your Ebay registered Email with a smaller client such as Road Runner. This would work for all places such as banking institutions and credit cards. Then, when you recieve an authentic looking Email on Hotmail (etc), you will immediately know it is fake. Never respond to an auction except through Ebay for the initial contact. I also never answer any Ebay emails from my mail server, but sign on at My Ebay and respond to the message there, as has been already suggested.

I have found some excellent bargains on Ebay from a Newmark power converter ($85 total cost) to a Pontiac Montana van. A seller can get their product to a huge number of potential purchasers that is not possible in any other method.

I believe that with the proper precautions, Ebay is still an excellent and viable alternative.
Best of luck,
Calvin
Old 09-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Bull .. Ebay could use a system of verified identy to allow people to post or bid.
How would that prevent spoof emails & hijacked accounts?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
My new email to all who write and sound susupicious:
Dear Garret,

I will only sell to someone who shows up at my house to inspect the
trailer and then decides to buy it. The price is negotiable at that
time. It has only been for sale a couple weeks. I am selling because my
family does not fit in it. I wll not sell it any other way because I
receive scam offers to buy the trailer several times a day. If you are
truly interested in the trailer, I will be happy to tell you more about
it. But I absolutely will not do any deals except in person.

Thank-you,

Carrie
Old 09-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Here's today's latest offer to buy the unit, with NO inspection...I am tempted to write back that it is a Midas motorhome or something because I don't think they keep track of what they are offering on....

From the details received,what you have available will suit our needs and I am ready to proceed with the last offer stated .I hope a down payment of $3,000 will be acceptable as deposit to secure this RV pending when we come over in few weeks time to finalize things with you on the inspection/pickup? And you can rest assured the remaining balance to make up the payment will be paid when my associate arrive with the shippers and have met you in person .Please indicate how you want to help us over this purchase.would you be okay with this $3000 to take it off market upon the arrival of my associate 2 wks from now?

If you will be willing to provide shippers and include it in the purchase cost,we would not mind.Otherwise,we can arrange for shippers by ourselves to suit us and these are the reputable shipping company who handles shipments for us . Can you email me some interior and exterior photographs of the RV? Also,you could please reconfirm the physical address to the RV?

Garrett Kimberly
71 Hainault House,
Billet Road, Romford,
Essex RM6 5SX

I work with Ince & Co, Knollys House, 11 Byward Street, London. EC3R 5EN.447040109469. It will be of great pleasure doing business with you. Our Business and Finance Group provides corporate, commercial and general legal advice to domestic and international companies (or individuals), whether they are start-ups or long established businesses. We also have plans on buying extral 2 motorhome when we have fully settled in the U.S and will need your assistance on this note if everything falls through. Though we are still here in England.
I look forward to hearing from you soonest.
Warm regards,
Garrett Kim.
CDR. (RETIRED)
01144 7040109469
Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Geeeze, for a guy in Essex with an English sounding name, he sure has terrible english!

Just another scammer...

Sorry you're having such a hard time finding a REAL buyer for your Argosy!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote