Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #113
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Westport Ford

You don't even need a diesel anymore.
Ford gets the new WESTPORT.

Dave

WESTPORT LAUNCHES FORD F-450 AND F-550 WITH BI-FUEL WESTPORT WINGA POWER SYSTEM AT NTEA SHOW

Westport Innovations Inc.'s proven Westport WiNGA power system, a compressed-natural-gas (CNG) bi-fuel system, will be available for order on the Ford F-450 and F-550 super-duty chassis-cab trucks starting April 1, 2013. The trucks will make their debut at next week's National Truck Equipment Association Work Truck Show in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Assembled alongside the popular Westport powered Ford F-250 and F-350 trucks at the Westport Kentucky Integration Center (WKIC), a Ford Qualified Vehicle Modifier (QVM) audited facility, the new F-450 and F-550 trucks have undergone the same rigorous testing for safety and durability used by Ford for all its original equipment manufacturer (OEM) products. With the WKIC located adjacent to Ford's Kentucky Truck Plant, the 2013 F-450 and F-550 trucks will use the same integrated transportation system as other Westport powered Ford products to reduce delivery costs to the customer.
Available exclusively for order at Westport authorized Ford dealerships, the Ford F-450 and F-550 Super Duty Chassis Cab trucks with the Westport WiNG Power System are delivered key-READYA to customers and come with a warranty that matches the Ford warranty for all similar powertrain and emissions components.

"The expansion of our product line builds upon our proven technology of the Westport WiNG Power System and extends our product availability to a different end user," said John Lapetz, Vice President Westport LD and Managing Director, North American Vehicle Programs. "With a higher degree of application flexibility and increased gross vehicle weight, the Ford F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks allow us to grow a solid footprint with customers who were not serviced with the Ford F-250 and F-350 CNG bi-fuel trucks."

The new Ford F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks with the Westport WiNG Power System are an ideal application for fleets in natural resource industries, construction, delivery, public utilities as well as government and transit operators. The trucks offer fleets the opportunity to use a cleaner, domestic fuel that offers savings between 30 to 60 percent with payback demonstrated in as little as two years.
For commercial fleet customers that require the Ford F-450 and F-550 Super Duty Chassis Cab trucks to be equipped to handle various jobsite environments, commercial vehicle bodies can be used with the Westport WiNG bi-fuel system.
"In partnership with service body companies based in Louisville, Kentucky, Westport will integrate the Westport WiNG Power System on the Ford F-450 and F-550 trucks with second unit bodies," said John Howell, Senior Director, Marketing, Westport. "Many standard configurations exist for bodies with a minimum of 84CA used in combination with a tank pack and custom bi-fuel configurations can be engineered for virtually any second-unit body with a minimum order of 10 units."

Starting at an industry leading price of $9,500, the Westport WiNG Power System is integrated on the 6.8-liter V10 engine of the Ford F-450 and F-550 trucks and offers a combined fuel range of approximately 650 miles (at nine MPG) with maximum CNG capacity (42 gasoline gallon equivalent) and a standard 40-gallon gasoline tank capacity. For customers who want to eliminate the anxiety of operating on natural gas only, the Super Duty trucks with the Westport system will run on conventional gasoline once the CNG fuel is depleted.

[QUOTE=masseyfarm;1265081]
What we need back is the AIRSTREAM INTEGRITY 5TH WHEEL TRAILER.
If these trailers were produced by AIRSTREAM today and sold with an optional customized flare kit to streamline air flow from the tow to the trailer, they would be an instant hit with F250/350/450, Dodge RAM and GMC diesel owners.
(Flare kit includes polisher aluminium grill guard, side steps, box rails, f/g air foil integrated with cab extenders to facilitate smooth air flow past the cab to trailer connection and a roll up bed cover that could be utilized when the RV is not attached.)

Now you don't need a toad behind your motor home, as you just disconnect and go with that quad cab RAM 3500.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #114
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Fresh Air Window Post Vent

I still have not found a source for this 'fresh air vent' that was used on various highway heavy vehicles, and was common in the GM motor coaches of the 60's and 70's.

Here are a couple pictures that show the 'fresh air vent' mounted in the drivers w/s post on GM 4903 coaches. (upper half of windshield post drivers side) I have tried a few wrecking yards with no luck as these units get crushed quickly. Any leads would be appreciated. They were also a factory option on the GM ASTRO cabover truck of the same era.

[QUOTE=masseyfarm;1138514]One thing I can not source today is:
DRIVERS FRESH AIR VENT
which was mounted on the windshield post of these GM Coach's of the 50' and 60's.
It operated much like the adjustable air vents located above you on the airplanes but these were not powered.
It had a rain diverter and a bug screen, so that at highway speed the driver could direct cool fresh air directly to his face. The complete device would be less than 2" diameter.
I found these vents to be great, and would purchase one today for the Clipper if one was available.
I can not even find any information on these old vents today.
Dave[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GM PD 4107.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	180699   Click image for larger version

Name:	GM PD 4109.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	180700  

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #115
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
It would be nice if industrial development was geared to improving our lot rather than amassing a fortune. Only products that can create wealth are successful.

What happened this idea. Low cost to produce, low cost to operate, no pollution, no noise. You would think this has corn fuel beat for a boost to the home grown economy. Imagine something running without a printboard made offshore?????

Sometimes the simpler things get forgotten, because it is not easy to patent and get rich with.

and another everyday application that has been buried.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 02-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #116
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
It would be nice if industrial development was geared to improving our lot rather than amassing a fortune. Only products that can create wealth are successful.

What happened this idea. Low cost to produce, low cost to operate, no pollution, no noise. You would think this has corn fuel beat for a boost to the home grown economy. Imagine something running without a printboard made offshore?????

Sometimes the simpler things get forgotten, because it is not easy to patent and get rich with.

Dave
The cost to produce many things is reasonable.

But, when you add in the G and A, the city taxes, county and state taxes, federal taxes, unions, insurance, maybe even interest on a loan, etc, that cost rises faster than a helium filled balloon.

If the product cannot reward the seller with a reasonable profit, then it becomes not worth the effort.

The good old days of having a product just to make others happy, unfortunately, are looooong gone.

We have trouble providing a "lock out kit" for the later model Airstreams, and it's free except you must send a SASE with 2 stamps on it. That is to much to spend for some.

Andy
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Written Instructions - Built like a Brick S***house

I have two circa 1953 Singer Sewing Machines a 306W and a 319 - almost identical. I bought the second one to get some accessories I wanted for the 319.... It was an ebay bargain. My sister might get one of them if she wants it.

These were the last high end models Singer made with STEEL gears. All newer non-industrial ones have nylon gears and have bad timing, tension, and break down when switching between stitches. These machines will allow you to sew shoe leather. I carried this 25 lb machine to a group that makes clothing and quilts for neo-natal super preemies. Most of the group are older but have new machines (my 8 year old Genome crapped out and will probably cost more to repair than buying a new one). I had a little project I wanted to finish up before I started sewing the tiny garments. Nothing major, just sewing Nylon strapping on a cloth-backed vinyl bag I made to carry my folding chairs. Took about 4 minutes of the class, but I had 9 ladies standing around with jaws dropped watching the machine wade through the straps and two layers of vinyl.

(One thing that is honestly better about the new cheap machines? They weigh about 8 lbs. Of course it's not impossible to find wheeled sewing machine cases even for the light weights. Boy do I need one for the big "portable" singer.)

What really strikes everyone about these machines ae the instruction manuals. They not only showed the new owner how to operate the machine, they teach a LOT about how to SEW - details about how to do pin tucks, decorative button holes - how to sew on a button by machine and knot the thread so that the button would basically never fall off. How to seam lace so that there is no visible seam, what a "french hem" is, how to replace the elastic on a pair of unerpants (get this, you repaired stuff instead of just throwing it out!). Darning socks was one I could have done without though! Decorative stitching including double needle techniques and scalloped edges... and even how to make handkerchief hems, appliques, and change needles, thread, and stitch length depending on the fabric being sewn.

Oh, And 86 pages in ENGLISH. If you wanted a French or Spanish the stores could order one for you, but wow... English SENTENCES. OH and no warnings about not running the sewing machine in the bathtub. They actually assumed that anyone capable of sewing would understand that electricity could shock you. Doh.

This was my first visit to this group and I plan to take the time to make it a regular thing - even though most of the others are retired or empty nesters, but we went out for coffee afterwards and spent an hour in Starbucks drooling over ebay - looking at treadles, hand cranks and mid century modern machines.

I have an employee who says she wants to learn to sew. I will let her use the machine, just to watch her try to figure out how to use it without a video. (She's a smart girl and could surprise me.)

Paula
Old 02-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #118
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
You always deal in great depth with a subject Paula! I have an old peddle SINGER I inherited, but I never learnt how to use it. Maybe I could attend your "school" for some instruction. I need my socks darned too.

I agree that some of the older equipment was made to last and reasonably easy to repair on site. Most new equipment is not worth repair.

Dave
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #119
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
How about a single on/off switch? Surely this is not too much to ask. I'm sick and tired of going through six steps to turn off a cell phone. And the associated wait for it to do it's super-duper-intelligent powering off thing that always takes a good 30 seconds or longer.

Smartphones are so stupid sometimes.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #120
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
What happened this idea. Low cost to produce, low cost to operate, no pollution, no noise.
I'm confused. No pollution? From a steam engine heated by an oil-fired boiler? Since the design recovers the water from the "used" steam, that white smoke you see in the video is not steam; it's exhaust from the boiler fire.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I miss the push button foot switch in the Fire Wall to turn your high beams on and off.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #122
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Orange Pride

Well at last, someone agrees with me about the lack of style shown with the majority of vehicles on the road today.

Wide-Track: 1959 Bonneville - /BIG MUSCLE - YouTube

This BRAND is just waiting to be reborn, just as the AIRSTREAM Class A design is on the books hidding in the back office cabinet.

Who will be the famous man to give the go ahead to rejuvinate these legends?

I can't wait for the new advertising blitz to someday brighten an otherwise boring day.

Dave
Old 06-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #123
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
A lot of things were better in the OLD DAYS!

1955 Pontiac American, was one of my favourite autos. I had a few Pontiacs over the years. 1954, 62, 67FB, 70, 81TA and a 86. I would like to see the Pontiac line brought out of retirement.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cassidyairport84.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	241639   Click image for larger version

Name:	comoxdaveshutandFirebird.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	241640  

Name:	daveandrea 62 Pontiac HT july 75.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	241641   Click image for larger version

Name:	davehomewith19552toneblue Pontiac American.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	241642  

Name:	Firebirdcomoxwharf.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	241643  
Old 06-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #124
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
A simple, medium duty, transport, for everyday use, on and off road.
Where is it?
We have the Jeep's today, that has been compromised by corporate profit taking, and designed for show, not reality.

It would be nice to go back to the days of simplicity, and being able to work, with simple tools, on your own vehicle in the backyard, or the bush, with some hope of success.

Bring back the 70 and 80's JEEP, and the SIDEKICK, maybe even the IH SCOUT. Basic engineering. Simple mechanics.

Pontiac did brand and sell the Sidekick for a while in the early 90's under the Sunrunner name. It had an upscale interior, but was similar to the basic Sidekick.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70 Jeep.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	241838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IH Scout.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	241839  

Name:	Sidekick 89.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	241840  
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #125

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I really love classic cars, and have owned several over time. I'm one of those obnoxious car nerds who'll talk back to the TV when some announcer calls a car the wrong make or model. I agree that modern cars have become way too similar from one to the next (mostly because they're iterating toward the practical engineering limitation of the platform, optimizing aero and weight factors etc.)

I have to admit, though, that I also enjoy modern cars. (Modern-ish, anyway, my car's 10 years old now.) I have a bone-stock Subaru station wagon that will walk off and leave that late-70s Trans Am (or the Ferrari 308 that Magnum drove in the '80s, for that matter!) I'd be much more likely to survive a serious wreck in the Legacy than in a car from the '70s or '80s, too. Garden-variety midsize sedans (like a V6 Camry) will clear 60 mph in under 6 seconds right off the showroom floor. Compare that to the 7 seconds you needed for a '76 T/A with a 455.

As a thing of beauty to appreciate, there's nothing on the market today I'd choose over a '56 Continental or a '66 Thunderbird, but to use regularly for transportation I'll take the practical modern route even if the classic were truly as good as when it rolled off the line.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Another casualty of progress...
I don't miss those could never find one that work but would always take your money