Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The obsession

Laying in bed on a bone chilling Vermont night. Tomorrow brings a new month, February. There hasn't been an hour in the last 3 weeks that I haven't imagined what life what would be like as an owner of an Airstream.

I search the classifieds, eBay and Craigslist religiously for that perfect trailer. Despite personal woes, financial speed bumps and abysmal economic forecasts I remain hopeful that my silver dream is out there.

Good night all and may visions of aluminum trailers roll through your dreams.
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I think we've all been there. I knew one August that I wanted a trailer. By September, I knew it had to be an Airstream. I combed eBay, AirForums and craigslist. All Airstreams for sale seemed to be in North Carolina during those months. Finally, January, just a few months later, we spotted one nearby and worth looking at. We bought it.

Your chance will come.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to the (psych) Ward! I have two of them, both fine trailers, but they still need lots more "modifications". My wife is trying to get me to sell the 31' Excella, but I am thinking about how nice it would be to have a Caravel for all my solo outings to music festivals. I can't tell her all my private thoughts.

Anyhow the search is a lot of fun and you will learn a lot. Just don't buy before you look at lots of them. It is kind of like looking for a mate! At least it has been for me, because I am in it for the long haul.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ours came up and slapped us in the face.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I got the bug bad 3 years ago and saw several get by me but We found the perfect trailer for us! Just give it time and you will findyourperfect Airstream. Sweet dreams!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I think my perfect slap in the face has already passed me by. A beautiful 1970 something Sovereign for FREE. But I didn't act soon enough. It has since gone to the scrap yard. I look at a picture of it every day and kick myself
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
Obsessed for sure

I had lusted for years but my very practical wife said no way to the expense and or time for an airstream new or old. we had been rving with trailers since 1971. while wintering in Arizona three years ago wife said, innocently enough, our old Komfort 26 (2004) was getting a little worn inside and looking the worse for wear. I just tucked that away and as we were headed home to the Seattle area in 2010 we crossed the Siskious mtns and I made a comment to wit "why don't we stop in Eugene, OR, they have a large Airstream dealer there, we'll just look around".

well, we stopped and within one hour she had one picked out and our deal was struck. We bought a 2010 25 FC. we love it! we now have nearly 17,ooo miles on it and have slept in it 181 nights and we haven't wintered it in Arizona yet. Perhaps next year.

We are, as I write, sitting in our AS in Fairview Oregon just west of Portland along the Columbia river, drinking a little vino and relaxing. Nothing beats it in my opinion.

we have owned 7 tow trailers and two sailboats and this Airstream is my favorite and perhaps last.

Lou
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Gosh. I'm so jealous. I'm laying in bed looking at the spot in my driveway where my dream stream of the future will be parked. I imagine my fully stocked bar and the evenings of laughter and delight I will have in it.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Good luck to you, Tim. Someone once said that you can have anything you want in life, you just can't have everything you want. An Airstream trailer will come to you if it is your priority. Personally, I like to see people like you wanting to take joy in simple things in life that don't adversely hurt themselves or others. Keep after it!!
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
This is a great thread as we have all been there.

Here's to wishing upon that star. Good luck VtTim...

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Mine is thirty miles away, tucked away back of the dealers lot.

Waiting for me, , ,

To call it home
Old 02-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Financial commitment

Airstream trailers are not free, even if you get them for free or at scrap prices. To get them back on the road will mean big bucks for the parts and a lot more bucks, if you can not do your own work. Working in the winter in Vermont, you will need a heated garage (more bucks). A 70's unit can have frame separation or a broken frame, and likely likely needs new axles. Not for the faint of heart.

The cost can easily exceed what a newer unit, in running condition, can be purchased for from a motivated seller. Do not be fooled by the low initial investment. Spend your time getting knowledgeable or hire one of our experts on this forum to inspect before you buy.

Once it is on the road, there will be continuing expenses of touring, but it will likely be less than getting a $70 motel room every night.

Having a mobile in Florida can be cheaper in the long run. You can get them for $10,000 and only pay $1,800 per year for maintenance fee. You need to buy a share for $30,000, but what are you getting for interest in the banks this year. This only works if you are retired, or can find a job in Florida.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Your dream will come true!! Just keep the dream alive. We dreamt about RV'ing for years and never did anything about it. Then my husband received an unfavorable diagnosis (he is going to be just fine!) and we said "what are we waiting for?". Last October signed our life away and couldn't be happier with our 27'. I am a firm believer that if you put it out there, it will come to you!!! Good luck!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
Gosh. I'm so jealous. I'm laying in bed looking at the spot in my driveway where my dream stream of the future will be parked. I imagine my fully stocked bar and the evenings of laughter and delight I will have in it.
Well tell us what you are looking for (size, price, year and work you can do) Some of us have more then we need and may have what you want.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Well, having not done much in the way of mechanics, I am looking for something that is road ready. Interior stuff can need some work, but would be great if it was in unusable condition with a little repair. Something 25 feet or less, any year is fine. Something in the 5 grand range would be preferable.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Hope you soon realize that dream 'stream, Tim!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks for the encouragement. The search has been fun yet infuriating at times.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Take it from another Vermont Tim.. they are out there and in Vermont. Once the spring starts a few will make their faces shown.

We picked up ours from a friendly couple who lived down a long muddy dirt road. They even delivered it.

(I guess I should say former Vermonter, we escaped winter and are soaking up the Arizona sun)
Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #19

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. The search has been fun yet infuriating at times.
It is fun and can been frustrating at times but the hunt will be worth it! I lost out on one by a DAY! And it was THE ONE I had to have. A couple months later one showed up but was too high for us to afford but I called on it anyway and we went back and forth on the price for 2+ weeks and we were $500 off and I asked him for the brake controller, hitch, cords, chocks, hoses etc. he replyed back with "so you want the flatware too"? I replied yes and we got our first Airstream! I had to drive 1200 miles one way to get her and she was down a very muddy road but was PERFECT! I had a forum member check it out for me in advance but she looked brand new. His wife hated it and told him to drop his price so I could buy it. anyway, take your time and the right one will show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	177937  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
And once you find your trailer, you'll lay in bed on those cold Vermont nights and think about taking her out on the road, and what you have to do to fix her up, and where can you find that part you need, and when is the weather going to break so you can get out there with her again .... We've been doing that for almost 5 years now. I'm told I belong to a cult by my friends. I would tend to agree!
Stay thirsty, my friend!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote