Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Well, having not done much in the way of mechanics, I am looking for something that is road ready. Interior stuff can need some work, but would be great if it was in unusable condition with a little repair. Something 25 feet or less, any year is fine. Something in the 5 grand range would be preferable.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Hope you soon realize that dream 'stream, Tim!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks for the encouragement. The search has been fun yet infuriating at times.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Take it from another Vermont Tim.. they are out there and in Vermont. Once the spring starts a few will make their faces shown.

We picked up ours from a friendly couple who lived down a long muddy dirt road. They even delivered it.

(I guess I should say former Vermonter, we escaped winter and are soaking up the Arizona sun)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #19

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. The search has been fun yet infuriating at times.
It is fun and can been frustrating at times but the hunt will be worth it! I lost out on one by a DAY! And it was THE ONE I had to have. A couple months later one showed up but was too high for us to afford but I called on it anyway and we went back and forth on the price for 2+ weeks and we were $500 off and I asked him for the brake controller, hitch, cords, chocks, hoses etc. he replyed back with "so you want the flatware too"? I replied yes and we got our first Airstream! I had to drive 1200 miles one way to get her and she was down a very muddy road but was PERFECT! I had a forum member check it out for me in advance but she looked brand new. His wife hated it and told him to drop his price so I could buy it. anyway, take your time and the right one will show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	177937  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
And once you find your trailer, you'll lay in bed on those cold Vermont nights and think about taking her out on the road, and what you have to do to fix her up, and where can you find that part you need, and when is the weather going to break so you can get out there with her again .... We've been doing that for almost 5 years now. I'm told I belong to a cult by my friends. I would tend to agree!
Stay thirsty, my friend!

Kay
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Exeter , New Hampshire
Agree that there are trailers out there. If you can be patient you will find one. I went into my search with the intention of getting a project but came across one above my price range that was well restored based on my research. I think the trick is not to jump purely on emotion as I had come close to many times. I could have got pulled into several off Craiglist and Ebay but each time outbid or bothered by one thing or another even though I had set a healthy price ceiling based on the price vs condition article I found here on the Airforums. With the population density of New England and the demand high it may be tough to find the deal of the century but there are opportunities to get a trailer that you will be quite happy with. Patience paid off in our case but I certainly remember the many months of anguish over losing the "perfect trailer" at the time......or the supposed "bargain". Fortunately my sense paid off because after spending time on the Forums I realized I would have spend tens of thousands of dollars and hours getting those fixer uppers road and travel worthy. Keep the faith!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Take it from another Vermont Tim.. they are out there and in Vermont. Once the spring starts a few will make their faces shown.

We picked up ours from a friendly couple who lived down a long muddy dirt road. They even delivered it.

(I guess I should say former Vermonter, we escaped winter and are soaking up the Arizona sun)

I'm so jealous. I'd love to escape to the Southwest region but my partner thinks Florida is the only place to be.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
I think we've all been there. I knew one August that I wanted a trailer. By September, I knew it had to be an Airstream. I combed eBay, AirForums and craigslist. All Airstreams for sale seemed to be in North Carolina during those months. Finally, January, just a few months later, we spotted one nearby and worth looking at. We bought it.

Your chance will come.
Oh how I wish they were all for sale in NC now!! Seems like now they're all for sale in LA, TX and of course the west coast. It feels somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone in this quest.

Follow our blog! http://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
VT Tim, Well as i sit her home sick reading your post has got me motivated to pull dolly out of the 2 feet of snow here to keep her from freezing in place. I do not drink but maybe I will brew a coffee in her elaborate kitchen before the sun sets and it gets chilly.

Purd
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf1977 View Post

Oh how I wish they were all for sale in NC now!! Seems like now they're all for sale in LA, TX and of course the west coast. It feels somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone in this quest.
Yeah. They all seem to be in Florida or Arizona. I'd love to take a road trip to AZ, but I've already blown most of my vacation time.