Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #201
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up Hi Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
Terry,

The Long, Long Trailer title brought me to this thread and I'm so happy that you appropriated it for an even higher use! After reading your wonderful posts and seeing the amazing Life magazine photos, I feel like I've known your lovely family for years.

Seeing the once-in-a-lifetime adventure your parents created for you - and the obvious mark it left on your brothers and sisters - has really bolstered my confidence that our recent decision to buy our own long trailer was the right one!
I welcome you and family here to AirStream forums. Looks like you found this wonderful website much the same as I did and many others have! And by the way, no better place to share our experiences!
I especially love your comment about,
Quote; ( ' I pray that our kids will remember us the way you do your own parents and that we'll have the strength to give them the foundation for life that can only come with a family who works, learns and plays together! ' ).

May I add that, No amount of education could replace what we shared and learned together as a family during our 34 day trek across this Magnificent Country. The interaction to pull together, solve an issue, dig in together to get what ever job done that needed to get all of us where we wanted to go.
Now, before this journey, I think that I had mentioned earlier, our Dad worked soooo much to support all of us, ( and thank God there want no required permit for over weight before we bought the Magic Carpet ).

He worked LONG LONG hours, and our Mom would hold dinner as late as 8:00 PM or sometimes even later, just so's us children got to visit with him around the dinner table for awhile!
However unfortunate, I think with todays economic straights , things haven't gotten much better for most everyone from them old days, and even with all of our hard work today, there is something way out of line.

Today, I would encourage all to write their respective Congressmen to help them with their struggles figuring out what 2+2=.

Forgive me Erik, I got lost in today!

Different times, however my prayers will always be with you and yours and I also wish you the very best!!
With Love,
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #202
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up Air Forums Brings Us A Place

To unite people and pull them together! A great time in freedom to honor those who have gone before and have shown the rest just how to expand our world, yesteryear and today as well!

We all know that time changes, some better, some worse...

Now, to get back on topic in the early 19 and 50s, our very own Rascal Flats put on a different kind of tantrum deciding to chew up some wheel bearings during our journey to the west!

Brother Fred using some emery-cloth from the safety kit that Dad put together back in Stoneham MA. as the axle tube got some damage that wouldn't allow a simple bearing swap. ( Has Anyone Else Been Hear? ) Thank God for some good Ol' Yankee ingenuity!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Rascal Flats, And Then Some.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	140177  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #203
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet Mom's Kitchen, Within The Magic Carpet

As most would agree and understand, our kitchen areas get lots of traffic whether in wheeled or conventional stationary housing!..
To prepare for rush hour's, hasn't changed much over time for many of us!

So, there were some special rules set up to facilitate feeding the hungry!
#1. Unless specifically summoned, stay away from the kitchen area before meal time.

#2. Reread rule #1.

#3. Be very thankful for what you get.

#4. Reread rule #3.

#5. Our Mom was the best cook in the world! And that ain't no BS! I love my Mom!

#6. I read all of the above, and I'm stick'in to it!

However, I did have a special badge, worn on my shirt that gave me free rain to the kitchen, as I was back up to KP duty!

Pictured, is Sister's Linda at work, and apparently Dianne taking a break, watching The Easter Bunny on B&W TV!... It was free back in them days... Oh couldn't we all use some O'that today!!!!
With Love,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mom's Kitchen.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	140314  
Old 09-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #204
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Back In The Day...

We did have authentic B & W photos! And also interesting to me is that I remember watching all of our favorite programs together as a family on B & W TV as well!.. Oh, the memories...

Now, as most can understand, I absolutely refuse to grow up!

There's just something about these old B & W photos with live B & W TV within them, that tickles me!

Here's another antique photo for those that appreciate!

Pic # 1. More Signatures for Uncle George's Painting
If you should need a closer look, check out Post # 69 page # 5, this thread.
With Love,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	More Signatures For Uncle George's Painting.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	140374  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #205
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Being So Thankful For

So many of our family's angel's, and yes we were all very blessed with in our time here on this very planet Earth.

Sister Linda, doing her part to ensure the comfort for the rest of us within the Magic Carpet, and her family.

Among other talents that get displayed over here ( most every day ), we continue to learn the intricacies that are the very lifeblood of our existence!

Now, I have heard that there is some space junk that is on it's way toward us from ( the upper atmosphere ), Yikes!...

Among other things, hardhats could be required!..

It is very much a shame that our very own govern'Ment ( for us ) seems to be in a total stall pattern, at this time!

However, I do Love Y'All,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	One Of Our Many Bedding Angiles In The Magic Carpet.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	140664  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #206
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet Enjoying Our Magic Carpet Ride

Among all of the wonderful site seeing and adventure for us children, there were other special amenities that made the days together, even better!

Hows about a little breakfast in bed!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sister Doña Enjoying Breakfast In Bed.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	141594  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 AM   #207
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, what a great family and a unique adventure. Thank You for keeping it going on this forum.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #208
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet Hi Bob

No better place to share our stories than AirStream Forums. Folks out here have a special understanding of just what it is to travel with our homes in tow ( so to speak ). On the one hand, it keeps us grounded ( with no bag fees ).

Smooch better than being on a airplane during a flight when the pilots get their retirement confirmation papers and walk toward the back of the plane putting on their parachutes!

Thank you Bob.
Love, Terry
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #209
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up We All Owe This Thread To Kevin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
Terry,

The Long, Long Trailer title brought me to this thread and I'm so happy that you appropriated it for an even higher use! After reading your wonderful posts and seeing the amazing Life magazine photos, I feel like I've known your lovely family for years.

Seeing the once-in-a-lifetime adventure your parents created for you - and the obvious mark it left on your brothers and sisters - has really bolstered my confidence that our recent decision to buy our own long trailer was the right one!

I pray that our kids will remember us the way you do your own parents and that we'll have the strength to give them the foundation for life that can only come with a family who works, learns and plays together!
OverLander64 started this thread and brought us all here! My hope is that I didn't PHO, in tagging along!
Maybe I should have private messaged him and got his permission to post in this thread..?

I would like to hear from OverLander64, to continue on...
Love
Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #210
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
The Long, Long, Trailer by Clinton Twiss

Greetings Terry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRfour View Post
OverLander64 started this thread and brought us all here! My hope is that I didn't PHO, in tagging along!
Maybe I should have private messaged him and got his permission to post in this thread..?

I would like to hear from OverLander64, to continue on...
Love
I am thrilled that you began posting to the thread . . . your posts gave the thread a life of its own and I have truly enjoyed following your family's travel adventure!

I enjoy seeing the e-mail message that there are new posts to this thread . . .
Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #211
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up The Long Long Trailer By Clinton Twiss

Well, Thank You Kevin!!... I hadn't heard from you so I got a little worried!
As it has turned out, I couldn't have found a better place to post our story, thanks to you!
Love
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #212
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Ton Washing?

Could have been an early invention of whirlpool way back in the 1950s? Photo taken by Life Magazine in The Magic Carpet!

We all need a way to add and or delete the no doer's!

Pic # 1. Absolutely, No clue... and yet...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	I Have Absolutely No Idea What This Photo Was About.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	142038  
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #213
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet Carol Brings A Very Special Touch As Well

I love her in sites and love! I love her photo album too! She is a very special Gal to me!
With Love
Old 10-08-2011, 02:16 AM   #214
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Thumbs up I Just Want To Thank Everyone

That has put up with my blurb, out here!!
Love Y'All
Terry
Old 10-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #215
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet This Family's Special Journey

Took our Dad's attention with and including having to be aware of Mother Nature, through and over the trek that we traveled in our 4,376 mile 34 day adventure.
From a tornado to a raging sandstorm along our way, Dad new how to keep us all together as a team!

Pic # 1. Dad's Preparation Was Key!
An interesting side note; A wonderful friend of our family at the time, in the checked jacket, ( Jack Lewis, who skated with the late Sonja Henie )

Pic # 2. It Took A Team To Make It All Happen!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dad's Preparation Was Key.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	142220   Click image for larger version

Name:	It Took A Team, To Make It All Happen.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	142221  

Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #216
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Terry,

Great photo's.. its wonderful that you have the journey all chronicled this way. Too bad it was only 34 days but hindsight that's alot of work for the parents to handle. You guys look so well behaved. Feel free to dig up more pictures.

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #217
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet Hi Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Terry,

Great photo's.. its wonderful that you have the journey all chronicled this way. Too bad it was only 34 days but hindsight that's alot of work for the parents to handle. You guys look so well behaved. Feel free to dig up more pictures.

Thanks Vinnie

Actually, I have a good memory of myFamily, however I could be lost in the photos!

Now, ( in the disciplinary department ), our Mom taught us children very well, and just in case no one noticed, she had a very good backUp!
It is a very good thing that our Dad was truly a gentleman!
If you ever saw the guns in his favor, so to speak, he could have very easily started the interplanetary exploration of the universe Long before it ever happened, over here. Get my drift?

With love
Old 10-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #218
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Among Other Great Precautions That Our Dad Thought About

Was the red flags painted at the back of The Magic Carpet with the warning ' Watch Out For Rear End Swing ', as if we had to make a tight turn from a traffic light, the back of the trailer could swing out and grab any unsuspecting folks that were not paying attention!

I think that I have already shown some of the other chores that were involved for us!

Pic # 1. An typical Off Day! ??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Watch Out For Rear End Swing.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	142237  
Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #219
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Smile Over Width In Bakersfield California??

I think that everyone can understand that ( The Magic Carpet Was A Pretty High Profile Rig ), and we were tested in nearly every State for the proper paperwork, permits and licensing along our journey.

We got pulled over again just outside of Bakersfield California, on our way there, from the east coast, and it was like a swat team, that descended upon us!!
Well, the Sergent at arms thought that we were over width, and there fore illegal, not covered in our permits! ... He had one of his subtenants call in to check it out, only to find that we were good to go!

The Sergent felt so bad, that he gave us some coupons for free donuts at a local donut shop...

Pic # 1. C.H.P's Major Sergent
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CHPD's Major Sergent.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	142519  
Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #220
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I can almost hear Broderick Crawford growling "21-50 to headquarters." into his microphone...