Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #127
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
That's hydrogen sulfide. Cows are big methane producers. Out here in ranchin' country, we just drive up to cows, have them fill the tank, and go out drivin'.

Gene
mmmm Cows.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #128
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
IT'S THE END OF THIS THREAD AS WE KNOW IT

STREAM'N TO OLD FORT NIAGARA

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #129
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Or methane gas do we deposit into the atmosphere every time we...well, never mind , I think its getting time to go camping!

That's where we DO produce the most methane... 'round the camp fire...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 AM   #130
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Several days ago I was thinking of replying to Mr. Mossy's post last weekend, but then I thought, would it make any difference? It would be like getting into a debate at the Flat Earth Society or reading the Wall St. Journal editorial page.

Yeh, it's time to rally.

Gene
Typical response.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #131
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
PLEASE STOP !!
I guess some people don't like a good friendly debate. Not very nice response. Figures.

Heinlein
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 AM   #132
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
I guess some people don't like a good friendly debate. Not very nice response. Figures.
Wouldn't let me edit. Awww nevermind.

Heinlein
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
As a not too interested bystander reading this thread, it would seem that some need to take a break from posting and take a deep breath.
Your opinions are not worth the fractured forum relationships.
IMHO.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #134
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
there's been many great and valid points made in this thread. cross my palm with silver and i'll scientifically prove more of whatever you want to hear

however in the grand old scheme of things we are all doomed! long after we've used all her resources the earth will stop spinning around the sun and the sun will eventually die (as stars do)
in the meantime i'll bite the bullet each time i go get gas. i've even put a locking gas cap on the tank to prevent some thief from getting to my hard earned 80 gallons worth of 89 octane!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #135
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Smile

I can't imagine any fractured forum relationships as I take nothing in a friendly debate personally and wouldn't expect others to either. This evidently isn't the case (flat earth society indeed)) with everyone. No problemo I'll take my facts and go home (figuratively of course). No hard feelings from me. Once again I enjoy a good debate, I find it an interesting, stimulating learning experience. I'll put my big giant gun away so no one thinks they are being forced to read this thread. Even if gas wasn't so expensive I wouldn't go far from fear of falling off. Have a great evening everyone.

Heinlein
Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Please peruse the mission statement of the Flat Earth Society which I firmly (as in "terra firma") believe speaks strongly with tongue in cheek as I did:

For centuries, mankind knew all there was to know about the shape of the Earth. It was a flat planet, shaped roughly like a circle, with lots of pointy things hanging down from the underside. On the comparatively smooth topside, Europe sat in the middle of the circle, with the other continents scattered about the fringes, and parts of Africa hanging over the edge. The oceans lapped against the sides of the Earth, and in places ran over, creating currents that would pull over the edge ships that ventured too far out to sea. The space beyond the edge of the world was a dark realm inhabited by all sorts of unholy beasts. Fire and brimstone billowed up from the very depths of hell itself and curled 'round the cliffs whose infinite length jutted straight down to the darkest depths . . . .

Then, in the year of our Lord fourteen-hundred and ninety-two, it all changed. For decades a small band of self-proclaimed "enlightened" individuals had been spouting their heretical nonsense that the Earth was in fact round. Citing "proof" based on nothing more than assumptions, half-truths and blind guesses, they dazzled the populace with their " . . . undeniable mathematical and scientific evidence . . . that the world is shaped not like a pancake, but an orange!"

Rightly wishing to dispel notions regarding the alleged citrus-like shape of our planet, the Church was able to either silence or execute nearly all the fanatics. But a small handful remained, continuing to spread their blasphemous speeches and to promote their heretical ideals involving the very center of the universe. One of their number, who called himself Grigori Efimovich, would later be known to the rest of the world as Christopher Columbus. Using an elaborate setup involving hundreds of mirrors and a few burlap sacks, he was able to create an illusion so convincing that it was actually believed he had sailed around the entire planet and landed in the West Indies. As we now know, he did not. What Efimovich actually did was sail across the Atlantic Ocean to a previously undiscovered continent, North America, and even then only to a small island off the coast. It took him several years more even to "discover" his blunder and claim it as a " . . . new world". But the damage had already been done, and mankind entered into what we now call its "Dark Ages" . . . .

Keeping the sea monsters at bay,
Gene
Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #137
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, well gas has now hit $4.25/gallon here in the Chicago metro area. In the city proper it is now well beyond $4.50/gallon.

To fill the burb is now gonna cost me $165!

Though I can afford this, to a certain extent, I am really wondering if I should?! I can't be the only one second guessing trips, even short ones at these prices...or am I?!

Forget the environmental issues of all this, to me it's beyond a fair statement towing my Airstream with a dino eating Suburban isn't gonna get me any Greenpeace stickers, but will in fact get me an honorary membership into OPEC.

I have gone through the typical stages, of anger, etc over fuel prices, but at this point, at nearly $5/gal, it's not even practical or within reason. It's just outright wrong. I'd love to get 50mpg towing, but in reality that isn't going to happen, so what now, at nearly $5/gallon. Fuel costs have now risen 4x from what they were before this whole mess started a few years back.

I hate to think this, let alone even type it, but if this does not get any better, I may sell the Airstream and the Suburban.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #138
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, I'm no wealthier than anyone else on this forum and less so than some, but this weekend we're going camping in Florida! 900 miles round trip. Our defense against high fuel prices is to store our beloved Airstream in central Florida near the destinations we will head toward on each of our planned trips this year. This will at least save some fuel over towing it back and forth on each trip.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #139
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Rethinking can be better in quality.
Now trips are going to last longer.
No more one or two day camps, unless within 1 hours drive.
This really pays back in more enjoyable trips for us.
We always did want to stay longer, now have to, to make it worth while.
The camping locations offer too much to swap for motels.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #140

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This will be interesting to see how this affects the International. It could spell the end for this type of gathering. I can see this turning into a "super regional" type of event, only attracting the folks living within a day's drive.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote