Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
The Corvette, to follow Pontiac?

There is speculation that the Corvette will be one additional product to disappear forever.

I don't know how true this is, but I found an article with the following "Corvette?."

Major shift in corporate controls, finincal directions, and green house policy.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
That's bad news. I always wanted a Corvette until I tried to climb down into one.

We got mixed up with a Corvette rally last fall going to LaCrosse WI. We pulled over at a rest stop with about a dozen of them. All late models, none over two years old. As I stepped away from the urinal, one of the guys said "Hey, did you see that cool Airstream we passed?"

Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hard to believe they would let that one go.

It's always been talked of as a high-margin machine, and one would think that the headline value it carries would be of great strategic value to the marque.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This one I had not heard. Last I heard the Corvette would be kept as it is a Chevy and/or it would become it's own niche product separate from Chevy. In addition, Caddy's XLR is based of the Vette platform so that could be problematic since Caddy would have to go it alone if they wanted a high performance XLR.

If folks recall what happened when Ford talked about killing the Mustang, there were revolts of biblical proportions. When GM knocked off the Camaro and the Firebird, the Vette was GMs sole real sports car.

The Corvette line has been positioned as a good, better best, allowing most folks to afford the entry level Vette, and of course if you have the means, jumping up to the Z06 or ZR1 models.

I doubt very seriously that GM would nix the Corvette, then again GM has nixed many great vehicles after finally getting them right....models like Fiero and Impala SS are just a few that come to mine of the many they passed on.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Hard to believe they would let that one go.

It's always been talked of as a high-margin machine, and one would think that the headline value it carries would be of great strategic value to the marque.
Congratulations on post #1,000.
I'm sure GM is taking a long, hard look at every model as well as every division. They will have to weed out the unprofitable models, whether they, or anybody else, likes it or not.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It would be a crying shame to see the Corvette disappear after almost 60 years. The Corvette has never been a big money maker for Chevrolet, but it has always been a place where new performance technologies could be developed and tested.

Beyond that it has been the hallmark of the Chevrolet Division and an American icon. Corvettes rate right up there with Airstreams in their iconic status.

Say it ain't so.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Like all of us who own Airstreams, we Corvette owners have weathered hard times before and I, for one, hope we'll make it through this one. We almost lost the marque during development of the C5 Corvette (5th generation) and somehow muddled through. A great book about that period is All Corvettes Are Red. The book gives a good insight into what goes on inside large corporations during hard times and was written by an insider. Most likely, other books will be written about this period in corporate histories. The National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY is just finishing up a multi-million dollar expansion to enlarge a wonderful facility located across the street from the production plant. The downturn in the economy has hurt this non-profit museum to America's only true sports car and we can only hope and work towards an upturn in our economy. We all look forward to the survival of our Airstream culture with sustained production of our trailers, without need for bailout, while other marques are suffering. Just as the drivers of the Corvette do on the open road, let's wave as we pass each other on the highways and byways of our great land.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Corvettes will always be here - someway or another new Corvettes will be in the future.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Twink - I believe Autoweek said the XLR is dead next year...
Marc
Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Twink - I believe Autoweek said the XLR is dead next year...
Marc

OUCH, then again, the XLR is like the ZR1, only a handful of folks will lay out 100k for a car.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Old Town Albuquerque Corvette Image

Cool Corvette, I found that the color was right and a great match to the setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6591 downsized for airfourm corvette.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	79854  
Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
That would be a cryin' shame, if GM did indeed nix the Vette. There are some days I really miss my '79; it was a fun car to drive, but only when it ran right. Unfortunately, the late 70's was not a good time for GM and production quality suffered.
I bought my L-82 from my late wife's father, who bought it new in Kaneohe Bay, HI. It had 36,726 miles, when I purchased it. I spent 7 years and a ton of money trying to keep it running. As soon as I would finish fixing it, something else would break.
The straw that broke the camel's back was when the right side carrier bearing went out.
Sherri and I traded a guy in Seaside, CA straight up for his 1973 Dodge Fireball Class C motorhome and the RV adventure began for us.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Corvette show @ Texas Motor Speedway next week

For any Forum members traveling through the Dallas-Fort Worth area next weekend, there will be a huge Corvette show at the Texas Motor Speedway on Saturday the 16th put on by the largest Corvette Club in the USA, the Lone Star Corvette Club. Friday will include a Khanna Cross, Saturday a judged car show and Sunday hot laps on the big oval and the road course. Stop by and take a peek as this is one awesome event!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
There is speculation that the Corvette will be one additional product to disappear forever.

I don't know how true this is, but I found an article with the following "Corvette?."

Major shift in corporate controls, finincal directions, and green house policy.
That will never happen.......toastie from GM motor city