Old 01-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #1457
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Bonneville came with a 455. It made about 230 horsepower.

Was the Chevy the 454? My parents had a BelAir station wagon - a 454 if I'm not mistaken. The Pontiac was an additional inch?

Old 01-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #1458
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Was the Chevy the 454? My parents had a BelAir station wagon - a 454 if I'm not mistaken. The Pontiac was an additional inch?
Yep. For whatever reason lol. Later, GM mixed and matched engines.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #1459
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I take exception with the recent tone of the argue thread, it is entirely too meaningful.
Give me some GD arguments you Mambo wimps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
This is better
. . .
Old 01-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #1460
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Speaking about Detroit - why can't they remake the 1971 Pontiac Bonneville with the 454? Did anyone tow with one of those bad boys? I can't imagine it would get more than 3-4 mpg towing (a friend had one and it got 8 solo...). But what a luxurious boat!
Friend had a 74 Lincoln Continental Mark IV (460-212 HP T-356 lbf·ft) He claimed 9mpg: 35 mph around town, 35 towing his boat, 80 open road, 80 open road towing his 24' boat. If torque is an issue, any of the 400+ cu in motors from those days would be a perfect candidate.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #1461
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Friend had a 74 Lincoln Continental Mark IV (460-212 HP T-356 lbf·ft) He claimed 9mpg: 35 mph around town, 35 towing his boat, 80 open road, 80 open road towing his 24' boat. If torque is an issue, any of the 400+ cu in motors from those days would be a perfect candidate.
They had lots of torque but not enough power. Those cars were heavy.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:36 PM   #1462
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Yep. For whatever reason lol. Later, GM mixed and matched engines.
They mixed and matched car bodies, the engines stayed the same.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #1463
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Protests are like the Argue thread. Well, maybe not, since the Argue thread is often argumentative without content, while kneeling protests do have content. The kneelers make people uncomfortable and that is what protesting usually causes. And if you have something to protest, why not pick a way that gets attention?

But, why is a sport where most professional players and probably a lot of other players get brain damage plus damage to other body parts so popular? I guess Roller Ball wasn't so far from reality. Otherwise, I find football boring. Most of it is waiting, lining up, commercials, and occasionally some action. And to further upset people, why do most colleges proficient in football have low academic ratings? Probably similar for basketball colleges. I guess they can only concentrate on one thing at a time—maybe the college trustees were football players.

To further cause argument, my truck is better than yours (120,000+ miles and runs like new), my tires are better than yours (Michelins last forever), my hitch is better too (both of the ones I've used) and my wife is the best too (don't argue with that).

And if that isn't enough, just a general "NO" to whatever anyone wrote.

Have fun while we all wait for travel season. 3.5 months before our trip to explore Bears' Ears NM (I hope the government isn't shut down and the Monument is still there).

Gene
Old 01-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #1464
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Oh but Gene - I do have to argue with you as my wife is the best
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #1465
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
[QUOTE=SteveSueMac;2054217]Oh but Gene - I do have to argue with you as my wife is the best [/QUOTE
I am not surprised about your position on that, but you are wrong. I suspect your wife wrote this too.

Now how about a sport of skill and gentle play, ice hockey.

Gene
Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #1466
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Now how about a sport of skill and gentle play, ice hockey.

Gene
Now here's a real manly sport:

Ferret-legging
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adult ferrets average about 18 inches (460 mm) from nose to the tip of the tail.[1]
Ferret-legging was an endurance test or stunt in which ferrets were trapped in trousers worn by a participant. Also known as put 'em down[2] and ferret-down-trousers,[3] it seems to have been popular among coal miners in Yorkshire, England. Contestants put live ferrets inside their trousers; the winner is the one who is the last to release the animals. The world record is five hours and thirty minutes.

Ferret-legging may have originated during the time when only the relatively wealthy in England were allowed to keep animals used for hunting, forcing poachers to hide their illicit ferrets in their trousers. Following a brief resurgence in popularity during the 1970s, it has been described as a "dying sport",[4] although a national ferret-legging event was held in Richmond, Virginia from 2003 to 2009.

In the sport of ferret-legging, competitors tie their trousers at the ankles before placing two ferrets inside and securely fastening their belts to prevent the ferrets from escaping.[2] Each competitor then stands in front of the judges for as long as he can.[4] Competitors cannot be drunk or drugged, nor can the ferrets be sedated.[5] In addition, competitors are not allowed to wear underwear beneath their trousers,[6] which must allow the ferrets free access from one leg to the other,[7] and the ferrets must have a full set of teeth that must not have been filed or otherwise blunted.[5] The winner is the person who lasts the longest.[8]

The sport is said to involve very little "native skill",[7] simply an ability to "have your tool bitten and not care".[9] The former world champion, Reg Mellor, is credited with instituting the practice of wearing white trousers in ferret-legging matches, to better display the blood from the wounds caused by the animals.[9] Competitors can attempt, from outside their trousers, to dislodge the ferrets, but as the animals can maintain a strong hold for long periods, their removal can be difficult.[2]
Old 01-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #1467
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The Argue Thread

Eh, sounds a lot like the usual sports, a contest to exhibit great machoism, testosterone overload, and stupidity whilst being involved in activities that harm your body and make little sense...like most professional sports that involve violent contact...like football (both sorts), basket ball, etc

I’d rather be out doing something less painful, personally!
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #1468
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Wow, gives new meaning to the punchline where two squirrels run up a man's pant leg and say, "we'll eat one now and take the other for winter."

My truck is flatting in protest of your comments. Thou I personally wish my neighbour's truck would do it instead.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #1469
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Seems to be a useful sport, in that a favorable outcome would be likely to improve our gene pool. I don't know if the same could be said for the ferrets.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #1470
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
How do the Scottsmen play this game?