Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #1415
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,165
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Even though Feynman was a physicist rather than an engineer, the man was my hero after I read his books. He applied his amazing brain to many more real-world conundrums than just the mysteries of the universe. Like pretending to speak Portuguese in Brazil when he only knew Spanish, and being complimented by native Portuguese-speakers for his fluent formality (or formal fluency).


I discovered Feynman after pondering the question of why if a mirror “sees” near the entire 180 degrees in front of it, why do my eyes see only I = R?
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #1416
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Or as more neutrally translated . . .

“Which is [hereby] demonstrated.”

But where's the snark in that?
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #1417
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,606
.
.
.
.
[subtly there IMO]
.
.
.
arguendo . . .

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #1418
4 Rivet Member
 
Mattirs's Avatar

 
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 449
I thought this was the land for free speech!

I make a few comments in the Argument forum and next thing you know the MAN is throttling my free speech. For a week now I was not allowed speak. Then I find out I must first pony up another $20 to be able to speak again. So where is this Free Speech everybody talks about?

Besides this is what Alfie is really up to....

Ooh, oh deary me
My little brother's in his bedroom smoking weed
I tell him he should get up cos it's nearly half past three
He can't be bothered cos he's high on THC

:-P~

Lily Allen
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:05 AM   #1419
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,153
Images: 59
This argue thread is worn out and should be renamed the pedantic thread.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:46 AM   #1420
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Politeness is not a prerequisite as long as you can be sneaky. For example, don't use 4 letter words to describe politicans which for some mysterious reason tend to be 5 letter words.


Well I guess that's one way you can trump the rules here.

(Walks away whistling....)
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #1421
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
This argue thread is worn out and should be renamed the pedantic thread.
One can argue and still be pedantic— ask any engineer! Or lawyer, for that matter, because while pedantic engineers argue for fun, pedantic lawyers argue for a living!
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #1422
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,165
Images: 11
“If you find it to difficult to argue with the uninformed, the insane, and the feeble of mind, then you make yourself subject to their domination”

-Humberto Hashimoto
__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #1423
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,153
Images: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One can argue and still be pedantic— ask any engineer! Or lawyer, for that matter, because while pedantic engineers argue for fun, pedantic lawyers argue for a living!
I agree you can argue and still be pedantic.

However your argument is backwards. When argument devolves into pedantry, the entropy of the system is increased. The energy of the argument is no longer capable of useful work in moving opinion.

In other words, your statement is irreversible. You cannot be pedantic and still argue effectively.

So pedantry represents lost work (entropy) and is nothing but wasted energy in an argument.

QED> doesn't belong in the Argue thread.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #1424
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
You cannot be pedantic and still argue effectively.
I never mentioned effectiveness!

Arguing effectively is called "debating." Not like televised political "debates," which aren't really debates at all, but rather like college debate team-style debates using the rules of logic. Unfortunately, this is not the Debate Thread, so your argument regarding arguing effectively is not valid here.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #1425
Site Team
 
, Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,153
Images: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I never mentioned effectiveness!

Arguing effectively is called "debating." Not like televised political "debates," which aren't really debates at all, but rather like college debate team-style debates using the rules of logic. Unfortunately, this is not the Debate Thread, so your argument regarding arguing effectively is not valid here.
Thank you for making your point effectively.

Perhaps I should have said "productive" argument instead of effective argument.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #1426
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,606
I would argue that this discussion is entirely too polite and civil!



And just remember, "I told you!"



OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #1427
1 Rivet Member
 
Ameneon's Avatar
 
2014 31' Classic
2017 28' Land Yacht
2014 22' FB Sport
2012 Avenue Coach
New York , New York
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Keep in mind that after making a post, you have 30 minutes to go back and edit it.
This is handy if you want to change sides of an argument. I believe that then you can safely deny what you said in the first place.
Ameneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #1428
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,002
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I would argue that this discussion is entirely too polite and civil!



And just remember, "I told you!"
This is better
https://youtu.be/_-FhWB1POWQ
__________________

__________________
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.