Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'm wishing this site had a popcorn eating smiley face. I'm enjoying this from the sidelines.

It is also a good opportunity for people to be educated about how to read where a link actually takes them.

If you hover over a link, no matter what the highlighted text says, the real link will show up in the lower left corner of your browser window.

If the "link" in the text and the actual URL that it is linked to do not match, suspect a scam.

I really that this is a pretty computer savvy group, but if even one person learns something new from this thread, it was bandwidth well spent.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
If you hover over a link, no matter what the highlighted text says, the real link will show up in the lower left corner of your browser window.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

Gene

Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
I have replied on a few ads I thought were legitimate until the reply came back. In many of those, the seller wishes to use "Paypal" or "eBay" Buyer Protection services.

I emailed the seller back and said "I agree to your price and have wired the full amount to the 'eBay Protection Plan'. Just call Monica at 1-888-555-1212 to claim and arrange delivery..." The 1-888 number I used was to Crimestoppers!

I never heard from the seller again after that.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
I have replied on a few ads I thought were legitimate until the reply came back. In many of those, the seller wishes to use "Paypal" or "eBay" Buyer Protection services.

I emailed the seller back and said "I agree to your price and have wired the full amount to the 'eBay Protection Plan'. Just call Monica at 1-888-555-1212 to claim and arrange delivery..." The 1-888 number I used was to Crimestoppers!

I never heard from the seller again after that.

Awesome!,

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Webspinner, thanks for the heads up, you learned me something I didn't know.

Kevin242, I am laughing to hard. That was too funny. I just may make this my new hobby, scam-stopping, and referring them to crimestoppers. Too Funny. Thanks for putting a big ol' fat grin on my fat face.

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
I'm wishing this site had a popcorn eating smiley face. I'm enjoying this from the sidelines.

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Bravo! Almost better than Downton Abbey.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
TAC OR-7

2008 22' Safari
springfield , oregon
2QQ7 Safari Airstream Travel Trailer

Same trailer?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopattie View Post
Quick! Call them before somebody else gets it!!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Quick! Call them before somebody else gets it!!
Nah, if we just wait a bit, it will clone itself all over the web and there will be plenty of them to go around for everyone who wants one.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Old 02-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Burlington , Vermont
After it was eminently clear that this whole deal was a scam, there were three potential courses of action: 1) Cease contact, 2) write some expletive laden nasty gram to which he would have never responded, or 3) Gain as much information as possible so I can reveal their methods on this board, waste their time, and have some fun.

I choose option 3.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM, I wrote:

Sorry for the delay Lawrence, I got held up making the arrangements to transfer the money.

I am a bit concerned about sending the money over seas - I just don't want anything to happen to it. I know this sounds silly, but would you please consider making a small donation to a wounded warrior foundation so I know you're real? I'll reimburse you. $7500 is a lot to send out on faith. I would feel a lot better if you'd forward me an email confirmation of a small ($5-10) contribution. I read this is the best way to know the person you're buying from isn't some kind of con artist.

https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...t.aspx?tsid=66

That would show me you're for real and a good person and then I'll go ahead with the deal.

Thanks,

On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:20 AM, Lawrence Mangus wrote:

Please take into consideration that at this price I have many potential buyers with pretty good and competitive purchase proposals. Since I don't have enough time to wait, the availability of cash money is an essential element of the equation. I want to conduct this deal in good terms for both of us, I have been screwed once and I don't want that to happen once again. I'm a professional person, I don't have time either to mess people about or to have my time wasted. If you are enable to complete the payment process using the details from the invoice I will consider that you don't have the cash funds available to honor our agreement and my attention will be redirected to others possible buyers. If payment is not received today I have no alternative but to cancel this transaction.

Sincerely,
Lawrence

P.S. it made me livid that he staked this scam on the good will our society extends to our service people, so I thought a donation to the Wounded Warrior Foundation would balance everything out.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
got hacked

Yes, I made the mistake of emailing on one of these Craigslist ad too on a well-priced AS. I didn't get a reply, but I did get majorly hacked! Geesh. I'm sticking to CL adds that have a phone number from now on!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #28

Currently Looking...
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Almost scammed in SC

Thank you for posting this "thread". My wife and I have been looking to get an Airstream and came across this ad on Craigslist. He answers his e-mails very professionally, and being non-military people we didn't catch his slip-ups. His suggestion of handleing the transaction through a neutral third party with Google sounded good. I went as far as signing up for a Google account and getting money from my savings into my checking.
I thought it strange that he couldn't use his Cell phone or Military landline for personal calls during "duty" and during preparations for deployment, but I was very happy to hear about a free Military transport to anywhere in the US. I did view the U-tube video which had been posted in January, 2012.
If he had moved a little faster and had a way to make the transaction happen quicker, I would be out of $7,500! When there didn't seem to be a good way to contact him, and I noticed a few too many 27' Airstream Safari ads by Lawrence Mangus, I decided to "google" him.
That's when I came across this thread and am extremely greatful .
I was once scammed when I tried to sell an expensive watch on e-bay, luckily the Post Office employee told me that the "PayPal receipt" which showed the money had been transferred into my account might be fake. I didn't send off the watch (to Ireland) and called PayPal and in fact the receipt was bogus.

-looking again for that great bargain-