Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thumbs up Thanks to You ALL, WE are lifesavers!

I've been reading posts on this forum since October of 2004 and got my first Airstream and my first RV in March of 2005. I have always known that I might not have actually taken the leap or developed a sense of confidence without the help and expertise of many of you here.

Vernon (53FlyingCloud) actually helped me take my first white-knuckles 5 mile tow and sat beside me without crossing himself, or making a mess on the upholstery of "Big Dawg", my new Suburban 2500.

This morning all of that knowledge came into play.... and WE may have saved someone's life because if it. I was driving down the interstate and saw an SOB ahead of me that just terrified me. It was a big Prowler being pulled by an undersized, underpowered, low slung truck. Of course no W/D hitch. The tandem axle rig was so nose down that the rear end was rotating like a stripper's boobs... Only the tassles were missing! I saw the trailer start to pull off and I decided to follow him into the rest stop.

My normal experience is that most men don't like to be told ANYTHING about their vehicles by any woman, but I decided to see if I could help without getting my head bitten off. (If not, I was just going to call the state troopers.)

As it happened there was a nice family and I just asked them if they needed help as I'd seen them having trouble changing lanes. Turns out they'd had this same setup for 2 years! He admitted towing the trailer had always been like trying to ride a bucking bronco. Well, one thing lead to another and I was able to show the man how hard the front tires were wearing and how hot they were compared to the back ones. He thanked me for the advice about changing his hitch ball height, but was going to go on to his destination (200 more miles) before he did anything - then his wife chimed in and said that they'd both worry about it all the way now, knowing what was wrong. (The front was a foot off the pavement and the back was almost 30 inches up!)

I was driving Big Dawg so I had all of my tools in the back. We unhitched his trailer, took the ball off of his hitch bar (it was totally loose too!), flipped the bar giving him a 4 inch rise instead of a 4 inch drop, tightened the ball until my ears popped (didn't have a deep enough socket to use the torque wrench), greased his totally rusty hitch ball (first time ever), asked him if he was sure he had the right sized ball (he wasn't...but it had worked so far), and re-hitched him. Believe it or not the trailer was still a bit down at the nose, but only slightly. I showed him the bars and trunnion to my Reese Dual cam and described how it worked and we talked for a few minutes, then he took off down the road with me following - while I talked to his wife on the cell phone. Everyone in the car could tell how much better the trailer was towing even before they got up to highway speed. I'm still a bit worried about the ball on his rig, but he swore he'd have it checked before the day was out, and also check the receiver for excessive wear due to lack of lubrication.

This is actually the second time I've been able to help someone whose hitching job was positively dangerous. It's was very rewarding half hour of my life. I absolutely know that I was just a conduit for all of the help, support and knowledge you've so generously shared with me. We made a new friend today, and I'll bet he'll be lurking on this website frequently from now on.

I've met lots of people RV'ers outside of these forums who really know their rigs, really know how to tow and back up, and who've been equally generous with me... but boy, it just scares me sick to see how many seem to start RV'ing without the least bit of preparation or information. Thank heavens, most RV'ers are outgoing and helpful, otherwise I'm sure there'd be a lot more in serious wrecks or killed. I've heard that AARP and several other organizations have fought the idea of requiring any special licensing or training for drivers of towed vehicles.... is this true, and if so why?

If it is true, wouldn't it be a good thing to set up seminars for first-timers in conjunction with dealers? I haven't been to that many RV dealerships, but it doesn't seem to me that many offer anything, not even an informational DVD or tape.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow ***** We are lifesavers

Hi Paula; I like to thank you myself, for a good deed you have done. With most of us, it is in our nature to help fellow man in any way we can. Being in a boat business for over forty years I have seen my share. What makes me sad, is that some dealers will let the buyer fan for himself, for as long as they get their money and are able to remove the rig from their lot. We see undersized trailers and tow vehicles, one thousand pound capacity hitch where Class III is required. We get them in on the flat bed with burned out spindles, some brought in from serious accident scene which was totally avoidable, if the person that sold them the rig took ten minutes from their life to preserve a life. I often wonder what makes some of us different from the rest. Is it the ability to feel good about ourselfs when we have done a good deed, or is it our responsible side of nature that drives us to do them.
But, then on the other side there are people who take offense to our suggestions, thus deflating our halo's for a spell. Soon it is forgotten and we go on helping another fellow man because it is our nature. Thank you Paula, my hat off to you. Stay happy and proud, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks

Paula you may now turn over your Bobcat Pin, wait that is the Cub Scouts, what do the Brownies do?

Thanks for taking your time from your busy day to make everyone on the road safer. I agree I have learned so much from the knowledge that is shared on this forum and many other I post on.

Boatdoc, I am a Sailor and I like your attitude about boats and safety. I have restored several Sailboats over the years and if anything being on the water is less forgiving than being on the road. Just as on the water mistakes on the road build up in sequence until a accident happens.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Good for you Paula!!

Nice to hear your story, I love hearing about all the good things that people do!! This forum is a great helpful place as you said, and your kindness will inspire others to help too. I'm sure that the family you helped is very grateful--glad you took the chance to talk to them about the trailer and the time to help them. Karma coming your way!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Tassles On The Tail Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Only the tassles were missing! I saw the trailer start to pull off and I decided to follow him into the rest stop.

My normal experience is that most men don't like to be told ANYTHING about their vehicles by any woman (If not, I was just going to call the state troopers.)
Hey Paula,

When I finally get my trailer, I'm going to put tassles on the tail lights, send you an itinerary, and head for Virginia Beach! Obviously your concern and knowledge transended gender issues and resonated with this couple as it did with me in your telling. Good job!

DJ