Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #71
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I have no information about the seller. The trailer is in Wickenberg which is a little bit out of town. I sent Uwe the info because he is buying every Airstream west of the rockies at this time. Hopefully the seller will get back to you. The trailer sounds like a project with most of the pieces. Let me know if you need something in the future.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #72
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This has been one of the best threads I have ever read on this forum. HUGE KARMA, HUGE. Marcus, next time I come to The Republic I am looking you up. I may come down third week of September to hunt dove in Cattula. I usually fly into San Antonio (first stop is Rudy's, the original one... the manager seems to remember us every year, only in The Republic would that happen), but Austin is not too far out of the way and good BBQ is always worth the extra effort. I have to compliment you on not stating the truth about BBQ. You refrained and even made the rest of the world not feel too foolish about their use of sauce. I will say it for you... Good BBQ needs no sauce. Sauce destroys the flavor of the meat and the smoke. It is offered, but any real Texan will get it on the side to dip the white bread into. You also refrained in saying how much more superior Texas style is than any where else. Others are good, but pale. thank you again for this thread.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I'm constantly amazed by people from other parts of the country who think they're cooking BBQ when they seal up some meat in aluminum foil and stew it in some sort of sauce over a charcoal fire.

Whatever it is, it ain't BBQ in Texas.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Richard-- thanks, will do.

Frank-- your praise is far too strong, but thanks very much for the kind words. BBQing is a Zen activity for me. I try to avoid conflict with respect to the various, ongoing, heated BBQ debates.

Crusty-- Some people don't have access to the same resources that you and I do. I'll always give someone points for the effort if they lack the proper equipment.

I spent a year or so living/working in Orange County, California several years back. I couldn't find any Texas-style BBQ joints, so I adapted and tried to use the oven in my extended-stay hotel. There's absolutely no substitute for smoke, but you can make something that's sort of similar to BBQ brisket using some sauces and low temperature oven-cooking. At the time, it was close enough for me, but I was pretty desperate.

But, not NEARLY as desperate as the time I ate at a Tex-Mex joint in France because I'd been there for three months and felt like I was dying inside. But that's another story...

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #75
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks, Utee94. I've enjoyed brisket during my visits to your fair republic and now feel more ready to attempt the feat.

Karma and good eats.

Pat
Old 05-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Brisket = Health Food

I just discovered that brisket is health food. I think deep down, I've always known this.

Texas Monthly: Textalk

Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
I just discovered that brisket is health food. I think deep down, I've always known this.

Texas Monthly: Textalk

Enjoy!
It must be a fact. Look who did the research. Gig 'Em!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord
It must be a fact. Look who did the research. Gig 'Em!
Yeah, I was trying to gloss over that part...

Hook 'em!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #79
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The real Rudy's is in San Antonio. They have spread like ants all over Texas and even in New Mexico. The New Mexico thing surprises me, for many New Mexicans are not too fond of Texas and things Texas related. I know someone will tell me other wise, but we have heard this more than a few times while in New Mexico.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Nah, you've heard right. There seems to be an under-current of ill will toward Texas and/or Texans from quite a few people in New Mexico. I've noticed it with some people from Colorado too.

Sometimes Texans can come off as brash and arrogant, or at the very least overly prideful, so I can't say I'm surprised. Personally I love my home state, but there are a lot of other nice places in the world, including parts of New Mexico and Colorado. I guess I'm just not the type to be boastful about geography.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #81
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
The New Mexico thing surprises me, for many New Mexicans are not too fond of Texas and things Texas related. I know someone will tell me other wise, but we have heard this more than a few times while in New Mexico.

Me too...

Size does matter...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Its the water issue. I grew up in Las Cruces. The city of El Paso applied with the New Mexico Engineers office to drill 200+ wells in the Southern NM water basin and pipe it to ElPaso. Talk about pissed off. That did the trick for an entire generation. Not sure whatever came of it as it was one of those 10-20 year court battles.

I got lot's of Texas friends as I went to OU. They like you were generous, friendly, and willing to help out. Your step by step on the brisket is something I intend to try. Thanks for the great instructions, that meal looked like the best BBQ fest ever.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #83
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I probably should have refrained from that comment. We are strongly considering re locating to Taos. We have been going out and investigating the area among many other western states. As it was explained to me, by my friends in Madrid, in Santa Fe, and in Taos, Texans come in and loudly overwhelm the state with Texas culture. They build big non New Mexican homes and create large ranches that compete or concur the land, tame it of sorts. The culture of New Mexico is to live more harmonious with nature. That is the reason folks love to live there. I personally love Texas, think it is a great place. Think most of the people living there are very kind and want to get to know you. I do, how ever see the preverbal rub. New Mexico has been invaded by many cultures that have tried to overwhelm it.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
Its the water issue. I grew up in Las Cruces. The city of El Paso applied with the New Mexico Engineers office to drill 200+ wells in the Southern NM water basin and pipe it to ElPaso. Talk about pissed off. That did the trick for an entire generation. Not sure whatever came of it as it was one of those 10-20 year court battles.

I got lot's of Texas friends as I went to OU. They like you were generous, friendly, and willing to help out. Your step by step on the brisket is something I intend to try. Thanks for the great instructions, that meal looked like the best BBQ fest ever.
Thanks for the kind words. If Sooners and Longhorns can get along, then anything is possible. You should definitely try your hand at BBQ. It's really not that complicated, it just takes a little practice.