Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Technological Improvements lacking in Airstreams

It seems that Airstream is investing heavily in cutting edge design and technology attributes in their coaches. The quality of the technology is most often superior than the majority of their competitors. For example, Airstream uses SamSung TV’s instead of most manufactures who use TV brands I’ve never heard of.

What I don’t get is why Airstream hasn’t incorporated the new automatic electric awnings or outside entertainment features like outside speakers that have been well embraced by what seems to be the majority of their competitors from the smallest RV to the largest most expensive Class A’s.

In my opinion, such things are accepted RV improvements within the RV industry and well within the wheelhouse of, ‘Wally Byam’s credo, “Let’s not make changes, let’s make only improvements,” this fleet offers the latest technology advancements and conveniences in a way that is distinctly Airstream.

Thoughts?
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Personally I would be a lot happier if the other guys "unincorporate" things like outside speakers and TV sets.
But then I guess that is why there is a thread on "why do you boondock"
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Are those things improvements or gadgets, that would be a question.

"Cutting edge" technology is often short-lived; that does not fit well with Airstream's reputation for generations of service in a design that does not become quickly outdated. I think they see their primary market as more traditional. Cutting edge technology comes in small, portable packages these days so buy those things to suit you.

Personally I would like my Airstream better without some of the electronic gadgets, something more basic, easier to use, and less quickly out-dated.

Airstreams are also intended to be self-contained. There is some simplicity and a need to conserve power with that. Many of us boondock frequently, no hookups, and Airstream knows it.

The electric awnings are an option on the new ones, but the manual awnings are easy to use.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My Samsung tv & bluray will not "see" my ipod/pad USB plugged in, won't even charge.
The Sony radio runs them fine, just a little short on video, , ,
So, I load thumb drives as a work around.
Due to this corporate battle of formats, Samsung is a "miss" in my world.
The "hits", 16" wheels, tank level monitor, exclusive to the EB.
Beta testing the AS line one model at a time.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
What I don’t get is why Airstream hasn’t incorporated the new automatic electric awnings or outside entertainment features like outside speakers that have been well embraced by what seems to be the majority of their competitors from the smallest RV to the largest most expensive Class A’s.
They do put Fiamma F65 Eagle automatic electric awnings on their 2013 and 2014 Interstate class Bs. Some people like them, others don't. Before they tried the automatic ones, they used Fiamma F65 awnings that were electric but not automatic. That's what I've got, and I'm happy with that.

I suppose if there was enough demand, they would provide such features on their trailers. Simple fact, Airstream is a business, and they're in it for the money. If the folks at Jackson Center had enough reason to believe that people really want to pay extra for automatic electric awnings or outdoor speakers, they'd provide them. But in my case, I hope they don't provide outdoor speakers. There are already too many campers in parks that play their music way too loud, without consideration of whether their neighbors want to hear it. At least I can take comfort in the fact that the noise polluters aren't fellow Airstreamers!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Outside speakers? I have yet to "camp" in a park where that would not be a problem for neighbors. I tried to keep up with electronics in the boating world and that cost a small fortune in continual upgrades. I would not like to see the same challenge with my AS. I am happy with LED lighting, flat screen TV's and a Sony Bluetooth integrated sound system. I do not think more gadgets would improve the experience.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Airstreams are not for everyone. If one wants outdoor kitchens and entertainment systems, perhaps they would be happier with something else.

I expect Airstream is selling about as many as they can make, without some major changes in the production methods without these options, so my guess is why rock the boat?

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Newer models seem a bit too techie. I vote no on the outside speakers. Electric awnings are nice but not necessary. Electric dinette table not necessary. All these things drive up the price of the trailer. I thought we were going camping?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I like the KISS principle. I deal with all of the "Hi-Tech" upgrades daily on the aircraft I work on, and the up keep is out of this world expensive. On our Gulfstream V, the "G" stands for gold, just weigh the part and that's how much it is going to cost in bullion at the current market rate.
All of these gadgets that they are putting on the new SOB,s is staggering, and the cost to keep it up over the long term is going to be more then the couch is worth.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I'd like to see a bit more innovation....if you want to call it that.....with their battery monitors and converter. My batteries are shot after 1 year of ownership and after much research I've learned a few things. 1). The parallax 1 stage converters are terrible especially if you don't spend hours researching care of deep cycle batteries. How much more could it possibly cost to install a multiple stage converter/charger during manufacturer when it only costs $150 to replace after the fact? 2). I guess I should have known (even though it's not in the manual) that if the airstream is connected to shore power the battery monitor will read full.....it's reading the charger and not the battery.

Oh....and a big no vote to speakers on the outside. I personally don't go camping in nature to listen to music or watch tv......much less listen to someone else's music or tv.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
um, ... I'd like to point out that I learned about the term, 'Glamping', on Airfourms.

they ought to be options for the early adopters.

Airstream's current model line up reflects a sensitivity to multiple socio economic demographics.

Like Tony what's his name from P90X says, 'Bring It'.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am an early adopter -- who else would get up at 3am to order a new iPhone (they are available at midnight PDT, 3 am EDT). NO external speakers, thanks. I've seen the gold plated awning ZipDee makes, but mega thousands don't make sense -- at least to me. The remotes on my two Samsung TV's interfere with each other, and I find the Sony overly complex and the documentation non-existent. I don't feel my Airstream's strong suit is electronic technology (AT ALL)...and if they decide to get with it, ought to invest in some solid research before going off willy nilly.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Nice set of Blu-Ray speakers for external use, use with iPhone. Have a couple of old iPones loaded with music just pickup and move where you want them. I can see the TV mounted above the dinette from outside of the trailer. I just did a count and we own 9 Flat screens, plus one unit to turn our computer into a TV and we only have 2 people living in the house. This was not by design but just happened. To be fair one TV is with the son at college. Glad they are cheap.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Personally I'd rather they pay more attention to basic quality control and long-term durability with an expanded and well respected dealer network......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I just like the idea of opening and closing an awning from a switch on the inside.
I do like the improments they've made on the tank monitors.

I wish Steve Jobs had lived long enough to get into the RV business.

I bet they'd look a lot like an Airstream.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
First: they can fix the problem of any leak potentially damaging/ruining the floor. Get rid of the damn plywood floors.

Second: they can work on the leak issue altogether. Also the corrosion issues.

Third: they can get rid of the mouse holes between the inside and outside of the trailer, especially the 3" holes for the 2" pipes with no sealing of the gap.

Forth: they can improve the converter/charger to a 3 stage unit.

Fifth: They can put a taller battery box on the front tongue and use a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries, rather than the wimpy size 24's which are standard issue.

Sixth: They can make the TV/Radio/DVD electronics package an option. It is a standard feature which many of us do not use, and adds substantially to the price of at least all the higher end units, like the FC's.

And Seventh: Give us the option of clear glass windows please. My new FC is dark and gloomy inside, when it is anything but a clear sunny day outside, and you are not parked in the shade. I said an option, some want it and need it, I hate it.

That is my list of non cutting edge improvements that AS can and should make to their line of trailers.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Personally I'd rather they pay more attention to basic quality control and long-term durability with an expanded and well respected dealer network......

Jay
Jay whacked that rivet.....

Ditch the new "what's in vogue gizmo."
Bring back good old fashioned pride in what your building.

Bob
Old 10-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Heh heh love it
Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Idroba, great ideas and true words thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I am a firm believer in "If It's Not There, It Can't Break".
I have never had a failure of my power stabilizers, power awning, or integrated 42 function audio-visual system in my Airstream. Of coure, I was a very late adoptee of power windows in my truck, as well...That didn't really happen until a very few years ago, and then the salesman had an uphill battle getting me to buy it...