Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
There are six rv ac companies that I know of but I would like to see a comparison. Coleman, Dometic, Advent, Carrier, Gree and Atwood
Old 02-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, did not know there were that many! Thanks jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
There are six rv ac companies that I know of but I would like to see a comparison. Coleman, Dometic, Advent, Carrier, Gree and Atwood
Carrier left the RV market several years ago.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Perhaps; I do not know the status of the options listed on the manufacturer sheet.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #85
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
On the brakes, that is a controversial issue. For handling and performance disc is better but in most heavy weight applications and unclean environments drum brakes are used as they have greater frictional area.
I don't know the formula for calculating braking power but aren't drum brakes basically obsolete in modern passenger cars and pick up trucks? I do know the formula for the torque capacity of an automotive clutch and AREA is not one of the factors, looks are deceiving.

I have a picture that I took of the back of a semi trailer with a Canada license plate.

"CAUTION DISC BRAKES 30% SHORTER STOPPING DISTANCE"

Just search disc brakes for semis for lots of reading.

I'm really glad my Dodge Ram and Airstream both have disc brakes.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Here is my take on trailer brakes.

Electric drum brakes are more than sufficient on an Airstream weighing less than 6500 lbs.

Disk elec\hyd brakes would be an upgrade, but well adjusted elec drums work well.

I am not a fan of antilock trailer brakes. They can be problematic, and are of little benefit IMO. As far as reliability the electric hyd unit, I have found that some brands are very reliable over the course of many years, others not so much.

I have lots of experience with both systems, I really like the elec/hyd units for heavy trailers, they are unnecessary for light weight Airstreams.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 AM   #87
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
J.Morgan,

Don't have the engineering data to back up when a certain brake system is the recommended choice. But disc brakes have braking advantages and somedays deservedly so have taken a bad rap due to poor installation or execution. But correctly setup they are darn strong. My rig came with them and my GVWR is 10,300 on 4 tires.

Lets go camping, snow started to melt yesterday.

gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My reliability experience with elec/hyd brakes has ranged from good to excellent depending on the brand of the trailer mounted master cylinder unit.

In my experience, next to full blown air brakes, elec/hyd/disk brake setups are the very best setup for trailering.

I have used these setups constantly on my 26,000 lb GCVWR "hot shots" since 1990.

I find that straight electric brakes are suitable and safe on my 6500 pound airstream, but I am fastidious about adjustment operation, and feel. I am very uncomfortable when my trailer brakes don't feel right.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Personally I would be a lot happier if the other guys "unincorporate" things like outside speakers and TV sets.
Revisiting this older thread, I never considered such things a problem until I camped next to someone with an outdoor entertainment center. They basically had a late night party. The kids had a large pool they had used that day so, while the adults were drinking and laughing with a tv going, the kids flooded my space with their pool dump. I walked out the next day to mud and large puddles of water and a pool turned over about four feet from my trailer tongue. Granted it was not only the outdoor living room but it provided a place for large congregating and fun at my expense. So, I am not sure that something like that should be used in a campground where people are close. Early/Late night voices are one thing while sports and action movies are a whole different level of noise. The 10pm quiet was not observed.

What I have learned about brakes since my first post on it here- drum brakes are efficient and uncomplicated. They actually provide more brake force even to the point of lock-up. They are inexpensive to maintain. Disc brakes usually have less heat, can be visually inspected and come in anti-lock which is considered safer; however, I have also learned they are sometimes poor in operation as some companies install too small a system to stop effectively. They require larger area than a drum brake to stop.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #90
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Brakes you say....

I just 'upgraded' the Burb...no 4k+ brembo nonsuch.

Front & rear Hawk Pads

The improvement over the semi metallic and ceramic is pretty remarkable. 👍
Plus very little dust to muck up the alloy wheels.
Great for towing.

As far as the AS goes....I'm fine with a quality riveted shoe reline and regular maint.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Technological Improvements lacking in Airstreams

Quote:

What I have learned about brakes since my first post on it here- drum brakes are efficient and uncomplicated. They actually provide more brake force even to the point of lock-up. They are inexpensive to maintain. Disc brakes usually have less heat, can be visually inspected and come in anti-lock which is considered safer; however, I have also learned they are sometimes poor in operation as some companies install too small a system to stop effectively. They require larger area than a drum brake to stop.

I don’t agree that drum brakes are uncomplicated. Look how many moving parts you have and they need to be adjusted to work properly.

Why do you think that the high quality automobile manufacturers switched to disc brakes 50 years ago?

I will bet that your TV has disc brakes. Do you wish they were drum?

I think it is terrible that Airstream trailers costing more than $100,000 still come with drum brakes. I don’t think Wally is happy about that.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:46 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Outdoor Audio Systems

I worked as a park ranger back in the 1980's when boomboxes first appeared. I found two simple solutions: First, I would ask that the sound level be limited to what they could hear only within their own campsite as anything louder was a violation of park regulations (true) and would result in eviction (also true). And second: I reminded them that their neighbors might not like their type of music AND have a bigger boombox. It's all boils down to simple courtesy.
Wanderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:57 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Most Improvements.... I DO NOT NEED

If I can fix something with a hand held tool... great. If the tool is a Lithium Battery Operated screwdriver / drill / ear wax remover... OR can screw 1/2 inch Lath Screws to replace interior popped rivets... a Gift from outer space, obviously.

If I can fix something with a electronic signal chaser or a voltage / ohms meter... I probably do not need it. Unless it is my Trailer Battery or Batteries, then I can replace them without having to program or run a hard drive to install properly.

If I can slap the side of an electronic device and it fixes it... great. If it does not, this technological device is about fifteen steps to the dumpster.

Televisions are an example. They are disposable like a Sandwich Wrapper.

If I can SEE what is wrong... I can often repair, fix or replace by myself. If the device smokes or has an orange flame, cannot fix, anyways.

If I can find the electronic device and follow the melted wiring to the source of the problem... I do not need a crowbar or chainsaw to remove as I can leave it and cover it with some pinup girl artwork.

If my Airstream Radio buzzes on AM and silent on FM where there are NO FM Stations... it can stay screwed to the wall.

I will put a battery operated portable AM and FM Radio that actually gets AM Stations. Radios in Trailers... suck when not in a City... like Thermopolis, Wyoming which probably has no stations anyways and Native American music is hard to enjoy. Although, some must.

Just what I do not want to be near is a guy with his $490,000 Freightliner Renegade, with a huge television and boom boxes with forty guests. Some living downstairs... above the storage area and rear axles.

We carry the cheapest cell phones that service can buy. If we need repairs, where we are camped there is no service and if there was... it is too far away from a mechanic who is afraid to go out into the woods.

We have not used our televisions. We do not need a DVD player. CD player... if the radio works, otherwise that can be sold at a Garage Sale, too.

LED lights... wonderful. Water Pump... even better, if working. Keep a spare, if you like. Windows that open... oooooh weeee. Great IF they still can open.

Technology is great... until it quits. Like an empty water bottle... recycle. Like Dental Floss... use it a few times... and use it tied together to wrap gifts?

I knew an Electrical Engineer. Well, a couple in 1972, Laramie, Wyoming had electricity then. Got my CB Radio and hardware installed for FREE. 10 - 4... Roger that. Obsolete as the Ranches in Nebraska were transmitting miles away and I was out of range... Roger That, 10 4 and Out. I could listen in about the Cattle roaming... but might have been in Montana. That is another State, you may have heard about?

The best thing after we sold the 2006 Safari... LED Lighting in our later Airstreams. That was great. Worth buying the 2016 and later 2019.

What I lack in our 2019 International... is nothing. What I might be lacking, I would not use anyways. Technology is great when it works and does something useful.

Although... If I had only AM Radio... I would be a happy happy Neanderthal. If I wanted to listen to FM Music or a CD... I have that at home. We are exhausted from exploring during the day when Boondocking and watching television is not necessary.

Of course... AM fades in and out. When it fades out... we can discuss what we did hear. Imagination is good and not included with the Airstream.

AM Radio is obsolete, as well. Accessories to Airstream is like Ice in a large cup, full of ice, at a Service Station soda fountain... profit. Give me less of what I do not use or need and I can find a SOB Trailer for under $750 in a junk yard... and love it.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I’m going to take a chance and guess Ray will not be an early Starlink adopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
If I can fix something with a hand held tool... great. If the tool is a Lithium Battery Operated screwdriver / drill / ear wax remover... OR can screw 1/2 inch Lath Screws to replace interior popped rivets... a Gift from outer space, obviously.

If I can fix something with a electronic signal chaser or a voltage / ohms meter... I probably do not need it. Unless it is my Trailer Battery or Batteries, then I can replace them without having to program or run a hard drive to install properly.

If I can slap the side of an electronic device and it fixes it... great. If it does not, this technological device is about fifteen steps to the dumpster.

Televisions are an example. They are disposable like a Sandwich Wrapper.

If I can SEE what is wrong... I can often repair, fix or replace by myself. If the device smokes or has an orange flame, cannot fix, anyways.

If I can find the electronic device and follow the melted wiring to the source of the problem... I do not need a crowbar or chainsaw to remove as I can leave it and cover it with some pinup girl artwork.

If my Airstream Radio buzzes on AM and silent on FM where there are NO FM Stations... it can stay screwed to the wall.

I will put a battery operated portable AM and FM Radio that actually gets AM Stations. Radios in Trailers... suck when not in a City... like Thermopolis, Wyoming which probably has no stations anyways and Native American music is hard to enjoy. Although, some must.

Just what I do not want to be near is a guy with his $490,000 Freightliner Renegade, with a huge television and boom boxes with forty guests. Some living downstairs... above the storage area and rear axles.

We carry the cheapest cell phones that service can buy. If we need repairs, where we are camped there is no service and if there was... it is too far away from a mechanic who is afraid to go out into the woods.

We have not used our televisions. We do not need a DVD player. CD player... if the radio works, otherwise that can be sold at a Garage Sale, too.

LED lights... wonderful. Water Pump... even better, if working. Keep a spare, if you like. Windows that open... oooooh weeee. Great IF they still can open.

Technology is great... until it quits. Like an empty water bottle... recycle. Like Dental Floss... use it a few times... and use it tied together to wrap gifts?

I knew an Electrical Engineer. Well, a couple in 1972, Laramie, Wyoming had electricity then. Got my CB Radio and hardware installed for FREE. 10 - 4... Roger that. Obsolete as the Ranches in Nebraska were transmitting miles away and I was out of range... Roger That, 10 4 and Out. I could listen in about the Cattle roaming... but might have been in Montana. That is another State, you may have heard about?

The best thing after we sold the 2006 Safari... LED Lighting in our later Airstreams. That was great. Worth buying the 2016 and later 2019.

What I lack in our 2019 International... is nothing. What I might be lacking, I would not use anyways. Technology is great when it works and does something useful.

Although... If I had only AM Radio... I would be a happy happy Neanderthal. If I wanted to listen to FM Music or a CD... I have that at home. We are exhausted from exploring during the day when Boondocking and watching television is not necessary.

Of course... AM fades in and out. When it fades out... we can discuss what we did hear. Imagination is good and not included with the Airstream.

AM Radio is obsolete, as well. Accessories to Airstream is like Ice in a large cup, full of ice, at a Service Station soda fountain... profit. Give me less of what I do not use or need and I can find a SOB Trailer for under $750 in a junk yard... and love it.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:59 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The AM radio is still useful even in the boondocks. If the weather looks iffy, turn on the AM Radio. If the static gets real bad, find the nearest foxhole as a tornado is close by.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote