Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Could one of the moderators please remove the link for a power awning in my post above? I didn't put it there, and don't want people to think I'm trying to sell power awnings through my post.
And while I'm at at, there are links to ebay and a host of other places scattered throughout several posts in this thread. It is not funny.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
If it was up to a lot of you, Airstream would just put in an AM radio and an old tube type B/W TV.

I'm also of the mindset I'd rather not seeing outside TV's and speakers. However, I wish Airstream would step it up a notch or two with the inside speaker quality. I'm very pleased to have the Blueray player and the Samsung TV's as standard, along with the Bluetooth for listening to tunes off of other Bluetooth devices.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
In my '64 Safari I added a blue tooth enabled stereo and TV. The modern hi-def amplified antenna fits right on top of the vintage rotor and works great. I love my vintage Airstream, but I've got to have my modern electronics. As far as outside speakers go, I had decided to put a plug by the door where I could plug in a couple of portable speakers. That is if I ever decide I really need music that loud outside.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I am in the anti-outside speaker / outside TV group. The SOB I owned before my AS had outside speakers but they were never turned on. I think the golden rule should apply when it comes to sharing music and TV with the rest of the campground.

I am very happy with the simplicity of the technology in my 02 Safari. I do not want my AS to be any more complex or high tech than it is. I did replace the stock converter with a 3 stage model and I replaced the convection microwave with a simple rv oven.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink

Technology....I just found my phone jack all tangled up in the shore power cord tray. Was it there all along?

I always carry it.
I just don't use it very much.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
First: they can fix the problem of any leak potentially damaging/ruining the floor. Get rid of the damn plywood floors.

Second: they can work on the leak issue altogether. Also the corrosion issues.

Third: they can get rid of the mouse holes between the inside and outside of the trailer, especially the 3" holes for the 2" pipes with no sealing of the gap.

Forth: they can improve the converter/charger to a 3 stage unit.

Fifth: They can put a taller battery box on the front tongue and use a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries, rather than the wimpy size 24's which are standard issue.

Sixth: They can make the TV/Radio/DVD electronics package an option. It is a standard feature which many of us do not use, and adds substantially to the price of at least all the higher end units, like the FC's.

And Seventh: Give us the option of clear glass windows please. My new FC is dark and gloomy inside, when it is anything but a clear sunny day outside, and you are not parked in the shade. I said an option, some want it and need it, I hate it.

That is my list of non cutting edge improvements that AS can and should make to their line of trailers.
If I might add Eighth: Design windows that are not a safety hazard to anyone walking beside the trailer, with mechanisms that provide for easy opening and closing. The very cheapest automobiles have such.

(and please, no outside 'entertainment' systems)
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
When I'm finally blessed with an AS, i'm gonna tune my Bose Speaker to my local public broacasting station and make ya'll listen to all things considered.
ha ha ha
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Well, our present 2005 Classic will probably be the last trailer we need, but if AS could resolve the filiform issue, replace the plywood floors with some form of composite rot-impervious floor, then I think I'd probably spring for a new one - even if it also had outdoor speakers which I would never use!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our expensive cutting edge electronics are usually broke or obsolete in 2 - 4 years. Then they are not only worthless, but cost money to get rid of.

We need less cutting edge, not more.
+1000. Spent my professional career in high tech and I think I must be reacting as I'm now analog whenever possible. Might become a Luddite.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
The rental Airstreams that Bob Wheeler's company offers in CA have electric awnings, as I recall. So, they may be available as an option if you wish (which I wouldn't).
Old 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #39
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
When I'm finally blessed with an AS, i'm gonna tune my Bose Speaker to my local public broacasting station and make ya'll listen to all things considered.
ha ha ha
We do it..... Not part of the AS though.

not really...we were alone in the AKC Show camping area.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #40
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I believe the electric awning option is $2500.00. I need the exercise so I'll keep what I have. I have actually never used it. I'm afraid that if I loose control of the thing you use to pull the awning out I will get wrapped up in the awning and get stuck inside the housing that holds the awning.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
I understand the European Airstreams now have aluminum floors. Wouldn't it be nice if they would use aluminum on our floors. Leakage somewhere is probably inevitable, but floors do not need to be made of plywood. That is so twentieth century.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Here are a few simple improvements:

1. Back up camera pre-wire, enabling installation of standard camera systems or even an option for one. Trying to do this after the fact is expensive, and backup cameras are now pretty cheap.

2. WiFi improvements, including hookups and external antenna to enable better reception.

3. AV hub near Blue ray player, and ability to upgrade to surround sound.

4. Tankless hot water heater.