Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
I understand the European Airstreams now have aluminum floors. Wouldn't it be nice if they would use aluminum on our floors. Leakage somewhere is probably inevitable, but floors do not need to be made of plywood. That is so twentieth century.
64Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Here are a few simple improvements:

1. Back up camera pre-wire, enabling installation of standard camera systems or even an option for one. Trying to do this after the fact is expensive, and backup cameras are now pretty cheap.

2. WiFi improvements, including hookups and external antenna to enable better reception.

3. AV hub near Blue ray player, and ability to upgrade to surround sound.

4. Tankless hot water heater.
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Please don't confuse them....let them get the easy stuff done right first. They've only been practicing since 1936.

Bob
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Lara Me, ... those are great ideas.
IMHO wireless backup camera's integrated with an IPhone would be a truly innovative and a market diffreniator.
Love the idea of a tankless water heater.
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Tankless hot water heater - great idea! It was not a happy experience on one of our first trips when I showered first, not understanding the concept of an Airstream shower yet, and then my wife quickly ran out of hot water when she followed me.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Tankless hot water heater - great idea! It was not a happy experience on one of our first trips when I showered first, not understanding the concept of an Airstream shower yet, and then my wife quickly ran out of hot water when she followed me.
Yeah. Even when you're boondocking and using only onboard water, tankless is a good idea. What good is an extra 6 gallons of water in the heater (boosting your onboard capacity from 26 to 32 gallons) when the pump runs dry after you've used your 26 gallons, and you can't get the other 6 out of the water heater because the pump is sucking air?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #47
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I did install the wireless backup camera. Works great. About $700.00 bucks but cheaper then putting a dent into the Airstream. I tried to get a WiFi booster put in but the guy talked me into getting a booster for my iPhone hot spot connection and it does seem to help. I have notice that some RV parks have excellent Wifi but most are only so so. Have not had much success with the TV antenna so am thinking about a dish. Kind of like to catch the news and an occasional sporting even. The real problem is TV today is so terrible that I am not sure it is worth it.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Odenton , Maryland
I just read in my manual (31' Classic) that the bedroom Samsung TV has a quick disconnect and external hookups. Although I doubt I will ever use this feature. I do not even think I would use the bedroom TV.

I do like the idea of a backup camera. I wish they had more robust solar panel and battery options.

- WBCCI #3750;; CMU #166, 2nd Region
- 2015 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour EXT
- 2016Airstream 22FB Sport
Tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
The power awning option lists for $3,551 in the 2014 Classic price list.

The frames for the European Airstream are made in Germany and sent to Jackson Center to fit the aluminum body. They then are shipped to the UK where the interiors are fitted. Real leather is an option.

The UK price sheet includes the £4,000 pound freight charge for shipping the frame to the US and frame with body back to the UK (which is over $6,400).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Re wood floors,....
I saw an episode of extreme RVs the other night and some high end class Manufacturer was explaining that the reason they use wood floors is that wood isn't a conductor. I was thinking that was manufacturer speak for wood is cheaper than a man made alternative....
Any scientists among use that can verify their position?
Rot not withstanding is wood a better option than man made materials?
Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The steel decks on Navy ships made one a conductor whenever water was on the deck. We had 440 volts in the gun mounts. Interesting combination, electricity and gun powder....

You never dug into the toaster for the bread until the unit was unplugged.

That said, there are polymers that would be stronger than wood, but the fumes in case of fire are highly toxic. That strength comes at a substantial price difference to wood.

From all the readings in the forum on floor repairs, I think the water proofing treatments that have been used might be the best solution.

Storing the trailer under a roof when not in use is probably a good (expensive) idea to cut down exposure to rain.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

There are always options...if you are willing to spend the $$$$$$.

I contacted them awhile back and relayed the info here on another thread.

Bob
Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
I'm a but confused. I'm seeing automatic awnings on a lot of POS's. Yes they're an option albiet not a cost prohibitive one and the structure appears to be pretty simple.
Certainly not a 3500.00 option for sure.
I really like the ones that don't have the support bars attached to the sides. Less of a chance of injury by accidentially running into one.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
There are still support arms lower at edge of the trailer going upwards to the outer corner of each end of the awning. The motor makes the arm about 3.5" to 4" square versus the 1" square tube on the regular awning. There are also two support stabilizer arms that swing out with the awning.

There is a lot of wood reinforcing under the skin to support these brackets, thus a powered awning is not probably a retrofittable item.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-17_08-48-01.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	197943  

Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
If I might add Eighth: Design windows that are not a safety hazard to anyone walking beside the trailer, with mechanisms that provide for easy opening and closing. The very cheapest automobiles have such.

And a Ninth: Techological Improvement means other than gadgetry; changes to the basic design. And anti-lock disc brakes top that list.

As to quality control an A/S is cheaper today than a few decades ago. And it shows, for despite all cost-cutting measures to keep them competitive, people aren't willing to pay for a travel trailer at the luxury end in the way they once would. A Silver Streak cost as much or more than the average American new house of the time. Today that would be over $180k. I think we'd see marine quality appliances, for starters, were it so. Same for integrated solar and danfoss-compressor refrigerator.

The buyer wanting a truly "techologically-improved" Airstream needs to order one through TIMELESS TRAVEL.

But this dilemma of cost-competitiveness doesn't excuse the well-done list above of attention-needed quality control, and the basics of adding modern brakes (or better emergency lighting for roadside breakdown; LED lighting has changed this entirely so call that the Tenth).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #56
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
But this dilemma of cost-competitiveness doesn't excuse the well-done list above of attention-needed quality control, and the basics of adding modern brakes (or better emergency lighting for roadside breakdown; LED lighting has changed this entirely so call that the Tenth).
It's not just Airstream, or even the RV industry. It's a problem endemic to all industries. Safety is an intangible. You can't say, "Anti-lock disc trailer brakes would prevent X number of accidents and save Y number of dollars." The X and Y in that statement would be pure guesswork. And without some way to compute a return on the investment, few companies will want to pay the money. Especially since they also can't really say they'd sell more trailers if they came with anti-lock disc brakes. Airstream is already selling all the trailers they make; if you order one, you'll wait months until it rolls off the factory floor.

So in the choice between, "How many will you sell if you don't change anything? All of them!" and "How many will you sell if you improve the safety features but run up the cost? Maybe all of them," the choice is simple. At least for any corporate management I've ever seen.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's not just Airstream, or even the RV industry. It's a problem endemic to all industries. Safety is an intangible. You can't say, "Anti-lock disc trailer brakes would prevent X number of accidents and save Y number of dollars." The X and Y in that statement would be pure guesswork. And without some way to compute a return on the investment, few companies will want to pay the money. Especially since they also can't really say they'd sell more trailers if they came with anti-lock disc brakes. Airstream is already selling all the trailers they make; if you order one, you'll wait months until it rolls off the factory floor. So in the choice between, "How many will you sell if you don't change anything? All of them!" and "How many will you sell if you improve the safety features but run up the cost? Maybe all of them," the choice is simple. At least for any corporate management I've ever seen.
Protagonist, I beg to differ. Many corporations hold safety as a core value and find ROI through lower accident rates and improved reputation. I observed this directly as a manager of safety for the largest in a high-risk industry. Others must be brought to focus on safety through liability and regulation. Airstream manages to sell it's product largely based on the perception (flawed, IMHO) of design & quality that hasn't required change in 50 years. As you say, why should they bother to improve when buyers are lined up? Perhaps if owners like us sent our safety suggestions directly to Airstream, some of the ideas might take root. I suspect that most buyers of new Airstreams ( it is a discretionary luxury purchase, after all) would pay more for significantly improved quality & safety.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Oh Ida know, ...
I had a friend years ago, (back in the early 90's) that worked for GM at our local Chamblee plant.
He was fairly high up in managment there.
He used to have lake parites and there were many other GM managers there.
I remember having many conversations about quality and safety of GM Products.
Bottom line was they weren't going to add quality or safety innovation unless it sold more cars. they might add quality if the competition threatend the bottom line but they certainly weren't going to get out in front. This was during the era that a lot of manufactures' were adding airbags.
If it weren't for Honda threatening GM's bottom line GM would have stalled even more.
Nowdays cars have like 7 or 8 of them.
Domestice Car manufactures seem to have finally had the V8 moment that quality can be built in as part of the manufacturing process.
Personally I'd have little appitite for domestic excuses that argue that quality is cost prohibitive.
that is Lame Lame Lame.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Disc brakes require hydraulics. Just another component that requires maintenance.
Electro/hydraulic controller; brake fluid.
Add anti-lock and you have a complicated system.
Complication leads to expensive maintenance and repairs,
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Disc brakes require hydraulics. Just another component that requires maintenance.
Electro/hydraulic controller; brake fluid.
Add anti-lock and you have a complicated system.
Complication leads to expensive maintenance and repairs,

Add to that the amount of "down" time.

My knuckle busting experience reminds me how problematic ABS can be when not on a daily exercise regimen, especially here in WNY.
Plus ABS requires a reliable electrical system, with a diagnostic computer interface.

Bob