Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Taxes for AS

I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else (and their business) and was visited by the tax collector about our 72 Overlander.
Should the taxes be what you paid for the 72 (not on the road yet) or what she is worth after rehab??
We didn't deside what to do yet, but I'm sure I'll get to pay whatever is the highest!!
Thanks
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Taxes

I pay about $30 bucks a year for my 76 Sovereign. In SC the tax is typically based on vehicle type, age, and purchase price/value.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman View Post
I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else (and their business) and was visited by the tax collector about our 72 Overlander.
Should the taxes be what you paid for the 72 (not on the road yet) or what she is worth after rehab??
We didn't deside what to do yet, but I'm sure I'll get to pay whatever is the highest!!
Thanks
Jerry

Let me get this straight, the Tax Collector actually walked onto your property and started personally inspecting your Airstream without being invited and without a warrant of some kind? Did you know he was there at the time he was on your property?

You raise a valid point, though. I'm trying to get an agreed value insurance policy on ours right now (much more than I paid for it). I hadn't thought about the tax guy sticking his nose in there. Like Kevin, I only pay about $30 per year for the tags. That's the only tax bill due in Georgia on a travel Trailer.

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
Jim and Susan
It's a small town and we all know each other.
Sandy (the tax collector) had a glass of sweet tea while we talked, but it did raise the question
Jerry
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
OK, so this wasn't an "official" visit then. I would think that the tax consequences wouldn't be any different than if you made minor modifications to the interior of your home (things like new piant and maybe, say, new kitchen cabinets). These things may increase the value of the property slightly (new vs old), but it's not like you added extra rooms via a new addition to the structure itself.

If you viewed it from the perspective of a vehicle instead of a home, I wonder if it would be any different. Like adding a bigger engine or more expensive wheels.

Seems like a vehicle would be a depreciating asset.

Good question.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Her in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania we pay a yearly vehicle registration. I think Motorcycles are $24.00, passenger cars are $36.00, and trucks go according to their weight class. So my heavy 3/4 ton is close to $200.00 / year; which is ridiculous becuase it doesn't get driven that much.

The trailer registration is $12.00. When I bought the '87 in Ohio I did not have to pay the 6% PA state sales tax until I titled and registered it in PA. So I had it for almost a year on the Temporary Ohio title. During that time I did my improvements and then paid the fiddler.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, I think it depends on what you mean by "tax."

If you're talking about a sales tax, then the only thing it should be based on is the sale price.

If you're talking about some sort of annual registration or vehicle licensing, then it varies by state, but in many states it is not based on the price or condition of the vehicle, but rather on various physical attributes like length, weight, # of axles, or other such items.

But this is entirely dependent on your state/local statutes, so I'd take a look at the applicable laws to determine what the rate should be.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
why would you have to pay taxes on something that is not road worth or usable?

i would think you could clam it as not being used or possible a parts trailer then once it was road worthy a liveable then pay your taxes on it i mean why should they get there hand in your pocket on something not even on the road or being used?.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman View Post
I live in a small town ... and was visited by the tax collector about our 72 Overlander.
Are you referring to personal property tax?
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
From Cumberland County's informative website:

"According to NC General Statute 105-330 all licensed vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, RV’s, etc.) are designated as a special class of personal property. The Tax Collector cannot send property tax bills for licensed vehicles to mortgage companies for payment. The tax bill will be mailed directly to the owner of the vehicle."

"All licensed vehicles are valued annually as of January 1 of the year the taxes are due at current market value. For property tax purposes Motor Vehicles values are based on the retail level of trade, by year, make and model of the vehicle and in accordance with NC Vehicle Valuation Manual."

"The value of the vehicle for tax purposes must be appealed to Cumberland County within 30 days after the billing date which appears on the front of this bill. Not withstanding N.C.G.S. 105-312-(d), an owner who appeals the appraised value of a classified motor vehicle shall pay the tax on the vehicle when due, subject to a full or partial refund pending the outcome of the appeal. Interest will accrue on unpaid amounts. Please address your appeal to the Customer Service Division, PO Box 449, Fayetteville, NC, 28302. You may call (910) 678-7507 or fax to (910) 678-7582."

I suggest waiting for the tax bill. If you think it's high, file an appeal. Show up at the appeal with photos and the NADA book value. In my experience, just going through the motions of an appeal will get some dollars knocked off a tax bill. Having some decent evidence to support your case will also help. So will being nice. The valuation of something as esoteric as a vintage Airstream trailer is a far easier appeal than one of a four-bedroom, two-and-a-half bath Colonial on a half-acre.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
"You are trying to charge me $XX.xx in taxes for a worn-out, 37-year-old travel trailer that we can't even use?"
I know when I lived in Kentucky (it's changed), you were assessed sales tax based on the NADA value, no matter what you paid for it, but anything over 10 years old was exempt. Maybe you can see if you can use that loophole in NC.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I suggest waiting for the tax bill. If you think it's high, file an appeal. Show up at the appeal with photos and the NADA book value. In my experience, just going through the motions of an appeal will get some dollars knocked off a tax bill. Having some decent evidence to support your case will also help. So will being nice.
Don't you have to love how Gov't works... be nice to us or will take more of your money.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
As others have stated it usually depends on the state.

Part 1- Here in Missouri we have a sales tax which is assessed as a percentage of the sale price. Each time a vehicle is sold the new owner gets to pay that percentage to the state and municipality. We now have the luxury of deducting a "sale" or "trade in" from the taxable amount. In other words, if I sold a vehicle for $5000 and bought a new or newer one within 30 days, I'm allowed the sale amount off the new purchase price for figuring the sales tax. The feds get some, the state gets some and, if you live in a municipality, the city gets some.

Part 2-We have a county personal property tax (which includes cars, tractors, farm animals, etc.) which is based roughly on the year on vehicles. Fortunately, my highly modified '55 Chevy costs me about $40 a year because it is very old car. My '03 Harley costs me about $285 because it is kinda old. My '07 Maxima costs nearly $500 because it is newer and is worth more. The state feels that old stuff is worthless unless you claim "historic vehicle" which exempts you from inspections and a yearly license fee but gets you on the other end.

Part 3-Trailers in MO cost $17 per year to license. One doesn't have to get one of these if you are not taking it out on the roadway. If one has a current license for another trailer, he or she can usually use that plate to get somewhere, or at least that is what the big boys tell me-I have no personal first hand knowledge. If it is titled, then you get to pay the personal property tax. If you buy something and don't title it w/in 30 days, you penalized $25/month to a max of $200.

Part 4-Warrants? Taxing authorities do not need warrants to come onto ones property in MO. They do, however, need one to enter your residence. You are within your rights to run them off but the consequences can be dire. That is the subject of an off-topic post and is very lengthy. Suffice to say, it did not end pleasantly and cost me a lot of money but I did stand up for myself and they never got inside.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
Don't you have to love how Gov't works... be nice to us or will take more of your money.
Getting better results by being nice is how many things work. Tax assessors are just people trying to do a job. And, yes, they see more than their share of less-than-pleasant people who come in with a copy of the Constitution in one hand and a stick in the other. If what one wants is to make a point, by all means... thunder away. If what one wants is a lower tax bill, it helps to make a polite, sincere, well-grounded case to the tax assessment office.

Oh, and by the way, the assessor's office cannot charge you more because you choose to appeal. The can only let the original assessment stand or reduce it.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Best approach is to see what the law / regulations say. Then Proceed.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Rock Hill , South Carolina
Kevin245...in Rock Hill, SC too...how about that. York County charges a little more on a 2005 International...more than a little more!
jsprad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I remember growing up in Washington state.. We lived in the hicks at that time.. It's not anymore... 25 years ago... Well this guy showed up at our house and we have a 100 yard driveway, looking around... My dad comes out of his shop and asked what he wanted... Well to say the least, when tax guy came out of his mouth my dad said" you better be gone by the time I get out of the house or you will be shot for trespassing..." And he wasn't kidding... Man that guy footed it... Like I said it was the hicks back then....

I had a the county come by my place and asked if he could come in the house, as he could see i added an addition... I said "you can see it just fine from the street please" Anyway whole of Delta county went up like 25-35% this year.....

I don't see how a town can charge you tax on a trailer. Is there some Communist there.???

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
In my experience, just going through the motions of an appeal will get some dollars knocked off a tax bill... So will being nice.
Quote:
...the assessor's office cannot charge you more because you choose to appeal.
Just responding to your post where you said being nice will get dollars knocked off your tax bill... hence not being nice will leave you with paying more.

I agree that being courteous is SOP, but the amount of the tax bill should not depend on it. Keep in mind that "being nice" can also be taken beyond the extent of common courtesy. In my view, I see way too much "niceness" thrown the way of Gov't officials in return for preferential treatment.

And for the record... I am not making any insinuations regarding your personal participation in Gov't.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #19

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I love this "old" Airstream

Hey jspard, good to see someone from this neck of the woods. I just recieved my York Co. tax bill and it dropped again...to $7.40. Just another advantage to going vintage. Now if I can just get finished with the leaky water heater, de-laminted vista view windows, and droopy axles.

You know the funny thing is almost everytime we go camping I get approached about the AS. People usually aske lots of questions, claim thye "Always wanted one", then usually ask to see the inside. It seems no matter old they are, many people see them as a desireable, or maybe it's the plastic pink flamingos.

Let's just hope the local Tax Assesor never turns into an Airstreamer, or becomes a jealous SOB owner.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #20

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ya Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Hey jspard, good to see someone from this neck of the woods. I just recieved my York Co. tax bill and it dropped again...to $7.40. Just another advantage to going vintage. Now if I can just get finished with the leaky water heater, de-laminted vista view windows, and droopy axles.

You know the funny thing is almost everytime we go camping I get approached about the AS. People usually aske lots of questions, claim thye "Always wanted one", then usually ask to see the inside. It seems no matter old they are, many people see them as a desireable, or maybe it's the plastic pink flamingos.

Let's just hope the local Tax Assesor never turns into an Airstreamer, or becomes a jealous SOB owner.

Kevin
I keep meaing to use the dang splel check feature......

William C. Swinney