Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Tandem pulling Airstream?

Hi, with todays fuel prices going up like crazy we [wife and I] were thinking of towing our 25' Safari with our tandem bicycle. Hey, if that French guy can tow an Airstream with his bike, why can't we do it with our tandem?
OK seriously, we want to know if anyone out there in Airstream land has brought a tandem bike with them and where did you put it? We were thinking along the line of carrying it inside of the trailer, propped up in the center isle or wrapped in mover's blankets, on the floor in front of the guacho. We are not even sure if it will go through the door. I should have mentioned that I don't have a pick-up truck and it won't fit inside of our Navigator and it is too long and too heavy to put on the roof rack. I can't put it on the front of my tow vehicle or on the back of my trailer; So after takeing you through the scenic route, I guess my real question should have been, "Has anyone carriied a tandem bicycle inside of their Airstream trailer?"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
While not a tandem, I do carry TWO cycles in my 19CCD while traveling. They ride side-by-side on a 2 X 6 with tool drawer liner on the bottom for non-skid. The front wheels are removed and locked to the board with Yakima (or Saris) bike 'tights' that are the same style as used on a roof rack to secure the front forks to the rack.

It's then just a matter of the extra length............
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I purchased a floor rack from Nashbar and place on it a board with rubber backing. Front fork fastens to it. Tandem sits up nice right in the aisle. Never moves, even on long trips.

Tom W
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
We've carried two types of tandems inside the trailer without any problems. First one was a Santana (traditional upright frame) and now a Barcroft Columbia (SWB recumbent).

Both will fit through the door as is. Best as a two person job, but one can get it done. Through the door, up over the couch in front and then back the hall way. We pad the pedals up on one side and lean against the bed. Then put a rubber band over the brake lever to lock it from rolling.

For longer trips we'll put the Barcroft on a Thule rack on the X5.

We know Airstreamers who carry their Santana on the back of the trailer. They remove the front wheel and it fits pretty well. But it sounds like you've decided against that already.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We carry our Santana inside our 22' CCD with no problems, although it does take captain and stoker to lift it inside (up over the dinette... etc.) We don't even have to remove the wheels. I spent a couple of years trying to figure out a good way to transport it in or on our tow vehicle... only to discover that it fit easily inside the AS, where it is safe and warm in the aisle as we travel. Give it a try.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Wow, I'm shocked; I really thought that this thread was going to be dead from the get-go and zero response, but thanks to you, I now know that takeing my tandem is do-able. Thank you for your experiences and ideas on how to do this.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you can't get the long, long bicycle into the long, long trailer through the door, you could conceiveably remove the rear window screen, open the window, and put the bike in through the back.
It would probably be more trouble than it's worth, but I have carried an awning tube home by doing that.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Wayne , Indiana
You could pull a airstream with a tendom bike
Adams Family is offline   Reply With Quote