Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
SUV - Stupid Useless Vehicle?

Starting Over - Well insurance helps, but... when you go from an 2006 Safari 25FB to a 2012 Eddie Bauer 25FB... well a payment book comes with that choice.

So my choice of Tow vehicle will also change. I won't be moving up to anything bigger, and I probably won't be doing a whole lot of mountain towing. The first time I was "foiled" I got a 2500 Suburban. The mileage difference between towing and non-towing was almost not noticeable so I went to a truck. This time around, after having the monster 2008 Silverado 2500 quad cab long bed diesel, I am ready to consider half ton vehicles as better all-around vehicles, and adequate to tow at 55 mph tow vehicles. I'm also only going to consider used vehicles of recent vintage.

I also don't like the following things about trucks:
  • have to pay for bed liner
  • have to pay for a locking tailgate
  • have to pay for a tonneau topper
  • or a regular topper
  • the bed is too high for someone who is vertically challenged.
Things that I DO like about SUV's
  • access from the side doors as well as back barn door/tail gate
  • lower access to interior and lower center of gravity
  • some have styling that puts wheels very close to corners - lower center of gravity - better control, less likely to roll?
  • more secure - lockable doors
  • choice between lift gate and barn door
  • hopefully better gas mileage as a daily driver

Help me consider the possibilities and strengths and weaknesses (and any SUV's that I've neglected to consider. Time is short.

1. Chevy Suburban
2. Chevy Tahoe
3. Nissan Titan
4. Toyota Tundra
5. Ford Expedition
6. Ford Flex?
7. Mercedes? (cost is prohibitive?)

Input please. Paula
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
While I went the pickup route, I am intrigued with the Mercedes GL 350 SUV. Healthy tow and payload capacity. Payload is what I see limiting with many SUVs.

There are a number of forum members who have this vehicle and pull 30 footers.

It will be more on the expensive side however.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
SUVs are awesome for traveling

I have a 2500 suburban with 8.1 gas motor and a GL350 (diesel). So much space inside for dry out of sight storage. No worries of someone ripping stuff out of the bed of the truck.

I actually think a suv is a little better with aerodynamics flow to the trailer than a pickup.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Paula

I would go the SUV route because it is smaller, and I believe it will be easier for you to handle.

I love my Tundra; the 2008 and later Sequia has the same great 5.7L motor and the 6 speed tranny. I would go for a used one and get a 2wd. It will be cheaper to buy and less expensive to maintain plus it will get better gas mileage. Also, you do not need 4wd for where you live and camp (I suspect).

I would also look at the new Dodge Durango. They redesigned it starting in 2012. Again, I would go for 2wd. The v6 may have enough power. I believe it may have an 8 speed tranny starting in 2013. This helps towing the trailer and also helps fuel economy.

I would also touch base with the expert Andy at CanAm to see what he recommends.

Once you narrow down the type of TV you want, I can help you find one. I have had experience doing this and would be glad to help you out.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Paula

I would go the SUV route because it is smaller, and I believe it will be easier for you to handle.

I love my Tundra; the 2008 and later Sequia has the same great 5.7L motor and the 6 speed tranny. I would go for a used one and get a 2wd. It will be cheaper to buy and less expensive to maintain plus it will get better gas mileage. Also, you do not need 4wd for where you live and camp (I suspect).

I would also look at the new Dodge Durango. They redesigned it starting in 2012. Again, I would go for 2wd. The v6 may have enough power. I believe it may have an 8 speed tranny starting in 2013. This helps towing the trailer and also helps fuel economy.

I would also touch base with the expert Andy at CanAm to see what he recommends.

Once you narrow down the type of TV you want, I can help you find one. I have had experience doing this and would be glad to help you out.

Dan
Thanks Dan, good info, but I'm definitely going 4WD - the mother truck was 2WD and I got stuck three or four times in it. The orange "lego blocks" did get me out of most trouble without calling for help. Once was in Overlander63's driveway. (Don't go behind the house!)

Paula
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Look at the Dodge Durango 4x4 and 5.7 L. My Dodge Truck is about the same and does a great job.
Mike
Air/WBCCI 27937, Ia TAC 10
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Touareg diesel

I frankly wouldn't consider the Titan unless it was a SMOKING deal, it's the oldest full-size truck on the market and kinda thirsty.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Congrat's again - can't wait to see you out on the road, now for the 25FB, as a former owner of a 25FB Classic who towed with a TDI Touareg, do yourself a favor and get a 3/4 ton truck.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I like trucks for towing and transporting gear.

The list of things "one will never do" is easy to make on the front end, but a bitter pill when one is limited by blanket choices.

Where to stow those dirty and smelling items like gasoline, grills and supplies, and the like seems quite problematic. I realize folks find work-arounds, but aren't they always just that, a work-around?

Those who won't tow with propane on for the refer, but will carry generators and gas cans or propane cylinders inside the trailer or SUV seem to be splitting very thin hair.

One can make a truck more like a SUV than the other way around.

Just my opinion, and obviously a strong one.

I am sorry for your misfortune, and best of luck with whatever rig you choose.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
If you are considering an SUV, take a look at the Yukon Denali. It has the benefits (and limitations) of a half-ton, but a lot more power than most others (including the Suburban). From '01 thru '06 they have the 6.0 motor with 320 hp and 365 torque. The newer ones have the more powerful 6.2 motor with a little over 400 hp and torque, plus a six-speed transmission. Plenty of power for all but the most demanding situations. Nice interiors, too.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #11

1973 29' Ambassador
Bowmanville , Ontario
I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 and tow my 1973 29' Ambassador no problems. Not great mileage while towing. Ottawa to Oshawa Ont. 420km. Was exactly a full tank. But pretty good mileage daily driver. around 700kms a tank.
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I love my 2010, F-150! Smooth, quiet, reliable (just 80,000 now but extraordinarily good so far) and a pleasure to own. I have the last of the 5.4's and it is very capable although we only pull a 16' Bambi.
Plenty of power for our use.

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I love my Ford Flex EcoBoost as a daily driver. I have not towed with it yet, I'm told the hitch should be upgraded for use with weight distribution (per Andy at Can-Am).

The Ecoboost has great power, and gets decent mileage around town for a larger, powerful vehicle.
it's easy to see out of, rides very smooth and sofar has been very reliable.
Plus it's really Cool to look at!

Good luck in your choice!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I've driven a lot of the stuff on the list. Here's some disjointed thoughts:

I love my 2011 Dodge Durango with the Hemi. Based on a Mercedes platform but with a stout hitch and good ole Hemi power. Check that payload matches your wants, but dynamically this drives better than a Tahoe or Expedition or Sequoia. If it was me, I'd wait for the 2014 with the 8-speed automatic (probably August) - but I'm not living in Extended Stay America. They're also wheeling and dealing on them - little sister bought one for $8000 off sticker.

The Expedition has a few advantages over the Suburban/Tahoe - independent rear suspension helps handling, and the third row seat folds neatly and flushly away. (You have to yank it out of the others, so you need a place to stash it.) But the Expedition feels underpowered by comparsion, especially compared to the Yukon Denali with its 6.2-liter V8. GM is giving big discounts on their Silverado now to make room for the new redesigned 2014, which is due out any day now.

Nissan has a SUV version of their Titan called the Armada. Great engine but the rest of the truck feels old. You can usually wheel and deal aggressively on this low demand SUV.

The highpoint of the Tundra and Sequoia is the fantastic 5.7-liter engine. But to me, an Expedition or Tahoe actually feels smaller to drive than the Sequoia.

As others have said, give Andy Thomson a call. He'd be very happy to help.

Glad you hear you're getting back on the road. The EB looks beautiful! And I thank you - your crash prompted my purchase of a cargo net to go over stuff back in the cargo bay.

Tom
Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Whatever you get, make sure it's configured correctly for your use. Depending on truck or SUV, a 5.2/5.3/5.4 should be adequate for towing, with proper gearing. 3.73 should be good for that. Depending on manufacturer, you should be able to find the rear axle ratio code on the builder's data plate. This is usually inside the glove box door or driver's door pillar. A quick Google search for axle codes should net you what you need to know while standing next to the truck (ain't smartphones great?).
Tire and wheel size also effect how whatever you end up with will perform. Obviously, try to stay away from the ones with oversize tires and wheels, or the ones that have tires that look like rubber bands lining the wheels. Jacked up (lifted) or lowered are also a step in the wrong direction.
I know you know most of this, but being reminded never hurts. I'm guessing my suggestion of an Avalanche was not what you are looking for.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I like my 2WD V10 Ford Excursion. It is a truck and an SUV. Miliage is not great but I bought it to tow and it was cheap enough that I did not have to justify it as a daily driver. It is bigger than an Expedition but drives about the same. Niether one gets great miliage.

Another bad thing about trucks is for some reason the manufactures think that taller trucks with bigger tires etc is a good thing. It makes the truck more imposing and better offroad but it makes it a much crappier vehicle to live with all the redneck, mine is bigger mentality. Even small trucks like the Tacoma are getting bigger.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Mercedes ML-350 CDI diesel 4WD. I drove one of these a few months ago when my Sprinter was in for service. WOW!

I was so impressed I actually started thinking about ditching the Sprinter and outfitting a cargo trailer with all of my tools and supplies for my service work, but alas the numbers didn't work out so well.

It is a quick, sure-footed daily driver that gets great fuel mileage and with a little tweaking of the hitch by Andy T. at Can AM, it will be a great tow vehicle for your EB.

Think about it!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We love our Expedition EL w all the storage that will even carry 4X8 sheets of plywood. We have no problem towing, just returned from a great trip to Texas. the anti sway and all the safety features make it a good choice. Sine we rolled the last Exp. and the roof did NOT crush, we feel very safe in it. We travel at 60-62, most everyone passes us.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
1/2 ton Esclade. Check Carfax.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Because of where we live, towability was and is a big issue. All of our favorite campground require that we travel mini mountains over and over. If we were flatlanders, well, that would be another story.

AND we wanted something we could garage. This immediately ruled out trucks (somehow, the image of the missus driving a truck is hard to conjure).

We had a MB GL450. It handled the 23FB just fine, but…

In spite of all the Can Am afficionados out there, its 600 lb hitch weight just couldn't handle the 25 FB.

AND I know the 2500 Burb is overkill for my current needs, but who knows? Maybe there's yet one more AS in our future, and I damn sure don't want to have to go through another new TUG search at the same time.

Now we've only had the Suburban for a few months. And it's quite a bit larger than the MB, but from what I've heard, if you're trying to stay in the SUV arena, you might as well get one that will carry you well into the future.

But, as they say…your mileage may vary.

Best of luck to you Paula, in your search!!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote