Old 07-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1970 21' Globetrotter
Pickens , South Carolina
Getting Spat upon

I remember a night in St. Augustine Florida right after I got out of Navy boot camp in 1974. My parents , little brother and sister came down from South Carolina to see me graduate and take a vacation back to home for a few days. St Augustine was our first night. I decided to walk into town just to get a beer and see some sights. I was in my dress white uniform minding my own buissness, ( I was only 17 years old and looked verry young) and a group of about 8 to 10 "hippies" started to follow me around. They kept yelling at me "baby killer!" and yes, I got spat on. I was scared to say any thing at first but this went on for a good while, them following me everywhere. I finally had enuff of this and I turned alound and just told it like it was, that I was just like them a few months ago and I had no intention of killing any babies. I thought they were going to jump on me and beat me up but they didn't, they just turned around an left me alone. I never have forgotten this, I will allways support our troops and hold them in the highest reguard. They have to fight over seas and in their own back yard!

Skip Callaham

RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
Falls City , Texas
Thanks, Devoman, for revisiting this post; otherwise, I would have missed it. My father, too, was wounded in Vietnam (along w/ many other close family members and friends). I am blessed, as others never got their fathers back home alive. All good thoughts and prayers to those who are serving. Y'all are my heroes!

I get so d--- mad at those like the Dixie Chicks. Yes, you have the right to say what you want--that's also what our men and women fought for---but please use some discretion.... Wouldn't it be better to rationally debate our differences, w/ the facts to back up our arguments?

"Train a boy in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not swerve from it." --Proverbs 22:6.

"A fairly bright boy is far more intelligent and far better company than the average adult." --John B. Haldane
campw/4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Once again.

Just wanted to bring it back up as I have a few friends and relatives there right now.
It just cant get any better than that.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I hadn't seen this post previously - thanks. Very thought provoking slideshow. I like seeing the interaction between the soldiers and kids, it shows the humanity in the crazy world they are in there. I have nothing but respect for the soldiers and the mission they have. If we don't hit this over there, it WILL be here soon, and it will probably hit us here at some point anyway. (Again)

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote