Old 08-12-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
sufferin' succotash...

i wuz crusin' around southern wis. today lookin' at houses, when what do i behold but a sign that sez diesel 2.469....YEAH BABY! got to get some of that sweet stuff!...so i whip into the station, and before i can pull out the nozzle, the price jumps up to 2.599 before my very eyes! so i give them the salute, hop in my truck and drive off. on the way home i stop at the station i passed on the way up that was 2.499 and pay 2.619....now, aint that enough to p*ss off the pope?

exasperated norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Heck that's nuthin' ...

I pulled into a station this morning ... they wanted to pre-qualify me with a loan app before I filled up.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
A little lower down here

Just got back from a round trip to St Louis. Diesel was lower than regular gas at all but small local stations. Usually 3 to 4 cents lower at major stops.

I paid $2.199 less a couple cents a gallon discount for several tanks of diesel. Worst price was $2.249. Still a big hit with my 56 gallons of tankage. I usually put in about 40 gallons at a stop.

I watched a Dodge pickup that was delivering trailers fill up at Flying-J. He had 2 big tanks in the pickup bed plus a couple of 5-gallon cans. He was up to a couple hundred dollars on the pump when I pulled away.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
i wuz crusin' around southern wis. today lookin' at houses, when what do i behold but a sign that sez diesel 2.469....YEAH BABY! got to get some of that sweet stuff!...so i whip into the station, and before i can pull out the nozzle, the price jumps up to 2.599 before my very eyes! so i give them the salute, hop in my truck and drive off. on the way home i stop at the station i passed on the way up that was 2.499 and pay 2.619....now, aint that enough to p*ss off the pope?

exasperated norby
I have sta rted pre-paying for my gas, so the price doesn't go up between the time I start pumping, and the time I am done...
Old 08-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
Question

We just returned from Martha's Vineyard where 87 octane reg. was 2.98/gal. and the rest went up from there! Of course, since it's an island you pay more for ferrying the fuel over, but we bought as little as possible just- enough to drive onto the ferry- before we came back to the mainland. It's pretty bad all over the Northeast- I even cancelled a short trip to Maine due to fuel costs- darn.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Highway Robbery in Michigan!

We share your pain. Arm and a Leg to fill up. Anyone remember seeing this old thing on the net? I wouldn't mind that old price for regular.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
On our most recent trip to NH/Maine we paid as low as $2.09 (in Ohio) and as much as $2.47 for gasoline. It jumped from $2.45 to $2.55 between lunch and dinner here in Louisville.

Biodiesel anyone?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Local BP station (quicki-mart, self-serve) was $2.799/ gallon today.

Where I am seems to be the highest price in the Southeast. Pretty soon I will have to sell my Airstream to pay for gas for my tow vehicle...
Old 08-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, I now have seen everything. I NEVER would have thought I'd see this in my lifetime, but on my way back home from Midway Airport (south side of Chicago), I saw a gas station selling 93 octane gas for $3.05 and then one down the street a piece for $2.99.

Don't know about you, and though I feel for our European friends that have been paying $5/gal for years, the current fuel costs are just way out of line and the very sad part is that there is NO let up in sight. Seems to me there are more excuses than solutions to the problem...just getting sick of hearing not enough capacity to refine it. Seems anytime even a tanker truck gets into an accident, fuel costs across the country go up .10/gal.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Well, I now have seen everything. I NEVER would have thought I'd see this in my lifetime, but on my way back home from Midway Airport (south side of Chicago), I saw a gas station selling 93 octane gas for $3.05 and then one down the street a piece for $2.99.

Don't know about you, and though I feel for our European friends that have been paying $5/gal for years, the current fuel costs are just way out of line and the very sad part is that there is NO let up in sight. Seems to me there are more excuses than solutions to the problem...just getting sick of hearing not enough capacity to refine it. Seems anytime even a tanker truck gets into an accident, fuel costs across the country go up .10/gal.
I don't want to stir up an environmental issue, but I know that no new processing (refining) facilities have been built for many years. The reason I have been given is that environmentalists and NIMBY's have successfully blocked every attempt to do so for at least 20 years. This is the same problem that has been plaguing California with their power generation situation. No new construction has been allowed, and demand has continued to climb. Eventually, capacity is reached and exceeded, and then the law of supply and demand comes into play (ie, the price shoots up).
Of course, oil prices of $67/barrel aren't helping at all, either.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I just filled up yesterday at 92 cent per liter that is 2.80 for a US gal. cost me 80.00 to fill 26 gal tank. The sad thing is that it isn't going to get any better. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
well ....

... not in my back yard! maybe terry's. if not, i'm content to pay at the pump.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Funny you should say not in my back yard. There are at least two major refineries on far south side of Chicago...might even be in or around Gary. So technically, they are in our back yards already. It's just a matter of how the wind blows.

As for the tree huggers out there, they also snuffed out nuclear power. There too no new plants have been built either and it's my understanding that it takes the better part of a decade to build a new nuke. What's even more sad is that the current reactors had a certified life span of 30 years of operation. Most have exceeded that which the engineers designed. By some miricle, the NRC blessed them for another 15 or more years beyond the designed life of the current reactors......doesn't take a PHD to figure that one out......and these are also in our back yard, front and side yards here in Illinois. But frankly, it doesn't matter if it's 50 miles away as the Russians proved very clearly.

Me, I'm all for hydrogen power vehicles and nuclear energy. Problem is that there are no quick fixes and we will continue to pay more and more as the gas companies in particular are reaping record profits.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:55 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

never had these problems with bill clinton