Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #101
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Greed, Part two

My original post talked about greed.

The Atlanta region consistantly has the lowest gas prices in America. This is due to two basic reasons. We have the lowest gasoline taxes in the counrty and there is great competition in the marketplace here.

Today it was announced that Atlanta now has average prices HIGHER than the national average price. That is nothing but pure greed taking over. Suppliers and retailers have figured out that the current frenzy of ridiculous price increases gives them the opportunity to price gouge. Remember that fact at the next place you buy petrol.

As I stated before, common sense and hard work made this the greatest nation on Earth. What are we going to believe, news media HYPE, or reality? Turn off the 6:00 O'clock news ard read something of substance. The media won't get you there. Lord help us if we don't get a grip, once again.

Just my $2.85 worth

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Dateline - 08/17/05: Top gas price in U.S. right here

There are stations here and there charging more around the country, but this is an area wide average. I live 40 miles from Palm Springs, and that's what I'm paying too. Their excuse du jour is because they have to haul the gas "all the way out to the desert". Palm Springs is 110 whopping miles from downtown LA via I-10. There is always an excuse, and it is always pretty transparent if you look closely enough.

Comparing gas prices in the US and Europe is like comparing apples and pears. For that matter, they are paying 6¢ a gallon for gas in Iraq, and not a drop is being refined there, it is all coming from Kuwait at the same $67 a barrel we're paying. The difference? The US of A is subsidizing it with our tax dollars. Not such a big deal since they don't consume a fraction of what we do, the gas is genuinely scarce, and they wait hours in lines to fill their tanks, as if there was any place for them to go.

U.S. subsidies ensure low gas prices in Iraq
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Dateline - 08/17/05: Top gas price in U.S. right here

There are stations here and there charging more around the country, but this is an area wide average. I live 40 miles from Palm Springs, and that's what I'm paying too. Their excuse du jour is because they have to haul the gas "all the way out to the desert". Palm Springs is 110 whopping miles from downtown LA via I-10. There is always an excuse, and it is always pretty transparent if you look closely enough.

Comparing gas prices in the US and Europe is like comparing apples and pears. For that matter, they are paying 6¢ a gallon for gas in Iraq, and not a drop is being refined there, it is all coming from Kuwait at the same $67 a barrel we're paying. The difference? The US of A is subsidizing it with our tax dollars. Not such a big deal since they don't consume a fraction of what we do, the gas is genuinely scarce, and they wait hours in lines to fill their tanks, as if there was any place for them to go.

U.S. subsidies ensure low gas prices in Iraq

mmmhhh... Sorry maybe its too early this morning (6:55 a.m. got up at 5:00 a.m.) or my english is too bad, but do you really mean that Iraq is in Europe??? I hope you don´t and I am just totaly wrong...
BTW we don´t pay 6 Cents a gallon, we pay 6 Dollar a gallon and thats apples and pears...

I still hope that I read this wrong...

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
have another cup of coffee.... maybe he should have started a new paragraph.....i can see where you got confused, i had to read it over, to analyze. im on my third cup already...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I hear people everyday saying how much gas is in England, $6.00 a gal. That is a lot but I tell them, I can fart in one end of England and smell it in the other. It dosen't cost you $1000.00 for gas to tow your trailer across the country. Just my thoughts. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
have another cup of coffee.... maybe he should have started a new paragraph.....i can see where you got confused, i had to read it over, to analyze. im on my third cup already...
norby
Indeed, and it was late when I posted (for me) - it sounded brilliant last nite at 9:15pm.

(1st paragraph)But yes, like Happycampers said, regarding England and Europe - things are much closer together. Also, when I lived there, people did indeed have small camper trailers, but they tend to plant them in one spot in a park and leave them there to use during their vacations. So if they moved them at all it would just be to another resting spot, not travel the continent in them as a regular sort of thing. So you can't really compare our driving/recreation habits with theirs.

(2nd paragraph) - most Americans aren't aware that we are subsidizing Iraqi gas so heavily, yet the government is loathe to step in and assist Americans as oil companies gouge us. I don't want the hear the inflation excuse - the bottom line is that these companies are making obscene amounts of money, and not reinvesting in their infrastructure, because they claim no one will allow them to build refineries. Hogwash.
Also, I wouldn't trade places with the Iraqi people for all the oil Saudi, the Emirates, and Kuwait. $2.85 a gal. here is preferrable to 6¢ a gal. and living in Iraq.
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Mtpalms: Ahhh, now I understand! Even without coffee, thanks for clearing up...

Happycamper: Sorry to say, but I don´t care if you pay $1000,- for fuel crossing the states. $6 a gallon is $6 a gallon is $6 a gallon. And people have to get to work over here as well. I have no big problem with paying $6 a gallon when I am out for camping, but what really sucks is what I have to pay for the everyday drive, when I can´t decide how fare I go. If one can´t pay for the fuel - sell the Airstream or buy a more economical car.

As ever - just my .02c

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Bjoern, You can buy a car that gets 50 to 80 mpg to go to work or ride a bike. But not to tow your trailer. I can afford the gas, but when I can't that is what I will do, sell the trailer. I am just tired of being ripped off by the oil companys, and that is excatly what is going on. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote