Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #85
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
This is what a lot of people are doing here. This has a 3 cyl. diesel and gets 80 mpg. cost starts at $16,000.00 Canadian, they are supposed to be in the states in a year or so. Not to good for towing though. Marvin
Ah the return of the mico-car years ago they actually sold things similar to that in the US before the crash standards became into being. My parents had a Fiat Mulitpla IIRC it would seat 6 in the same road space as a Toyota Echo... and guess what...IT has been revived.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
I think the smart car is the way to go, for inner urban driving. Highway use, I'd be a little concerned, because of its size. We've been using our AMI (What is that you say?)
http://www.airforums.com/photo...500&userid=649
for weekend use around town @ 40+ mpg. Jeff

Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #87
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
Hummer H1

Do you think you could sell one of these?
http://www.autoweb.com/content/resea...andardFeatures
Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
... because of its size...
Its bigger than you think... Look at this Video

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I have sat in one and it has more leg room than my truck and as much head room. One passed me a few weeks ago I was going 70 mph and he had to be doing 85 or 90. The salesman said they are very stable on the highway. But salesman will tell you anything. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #90
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I have sat in one and it has more leg room than my truck and as much head room. One passed me a few weeks ago I was going 70 mph and he had to be doing 85 or 90. The salesman said they are very stable on the highway. But salesman will tell you anything. Marvin
I wonder if Can-Am will release a kit so it can pull a 34' Classic?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Terry, He might have to hook 2 or 3 of them together.. That would be something to see.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:43 AM   #92
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Angry

Quote:
Terry, He might have to hook 2 or 3 of them together.. That would be something to see.
Kind of like this, perhaps?
http://www.stupidvideos.com/Default.asp?VideoID=784
Old 08-17-2005, 07:20 AM   #93
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmatlock
Do you think you could sell one of these?
http://www.autoweb.com/content/resea...andardFeatures
I was looking at the link and was shocked to find this tow rating.....

Towing Capacity 2268
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #94
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though this is had a bit more info, it did not respond at all to my suggestion that the large taxes put on every gallon of gas be reduced in the short term. basically, though this has good point and bad ones, the fact that both Senators that responded completely skirted the issue of lowering the per gallon tax on fuel. Below is response #2 out of 4 letters sent:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the rising cost of gas. I appreciate hearing from you and share your frustration.

It should be no surprise to any elected official that how frustrated the American public is becoming with federal policymakers' inability to deal with rising energy prices. All my colleagues need do to understand this frustration is to take the time to check prices at their local service station. This problem is not simply an inconvenience. Rising gasoline prices are having a serious impact on the finances of working families today and present a serious threat to our national economic well being for the foreseeable future.

I have discussed the problem of rising energy prices with a number of utility executives who express sympathy with consumers’ plight but plead the rising cost of doing business as justification for increasing prices. And I have talked with members of Congress who have a strong predisposition that the country can "produce" its way out of this energy hole. Neither answer is good enough. Only through a new openness to developing a balanced, comprehensive, forward-looking national energy policy can the country break out of this dangerous mindset, and that challenge is one of my policy priorities here in the Senate. American motorists will not see gas prices begin to fall until we achieve some measure of energy independence, and our country will not control its own energy destiny until we break foreign oil producers' current stranglehold on our national economy.

As you may know, Congress passed comprehensive energy reform legislation in late July. I voted for the bill, which was signed into law by President Bush with much fanfare in New Mexico in early August. While this energy bill does make important strides in encouraging greater energy conservation and the use of renewable fuels like ethanol and solar and wind power, it does not go far enough in meeting our nation's mounting energy challenge. Even President Bush, who strongly supported this legislation, has said publicly that it will not reduce gasoline prices in the near term.

Although this energy bill represents a missed opportunity that will become increasingly obvious and consequential over time as gas prices continue to burn through consumers' pocketbooks, I am pleased that it does recognize that continued reliance on oil and gas as the foundation of national energy policy is not sustainable if we want to stop the trend of rising gasoline prices, and it devotes more attention to developing the potential of renewable fuels as an alternative to fossil fuels. Two provisions in the bill are particularly significant in this regard. One requires refiners to nearly double the use of ethanol in gasoline over the next seven years. A second provides a tax credit to encourage service stations to install pumps for E-85 gasoline, a fuel blend that contains only 15% petroleum.

E-85 fuel is a mix of 85% ethanol and 15% conventional gasoline. While not every car can run on E-85, there are millions of “flexible-fuel vehicles� that can, and the auto industry is turning out hundreds of thousands of them every year. Our present problem is that we are in short supply of E-85 stations. While there are more than 180,000 gas stations all over America, only about 400 have E-85 pumps. The E-85 tax credit that just became law will make more readily available for retail sale gasoline that is currently selling in Illinois for up to 50 cents per gallon cheaper than conventional gasoline.

These two provisions will help reduce our dependence on imported oil, boost farm income by expanding the market for corn and soybeans, and promote economic growth in rural areas by attracting investment in community-size ethanol plants. Every gallon of ethanol we use in our gasoline supply is a gallon of oil we do not have to import from overseas.

The energy bill also contains tax incentives for automobile manufacturers, retailers, and consumers to encourage and accelerate the production of vehicles that use alternative fuel technology, which can provide greater fuel efficiency and cause less pollution than conventional automobiles. I was particularly proud to have added language that provides $40 million for research on combined plug-in hybrid and E-85 flexible fuel vehicles that have the potential to drive 500 milers per gallon of gasoline. The bill also includes a provision I co-authored with my Republican colleague Senator Dick Lugar of Indiana that provides funding to Southern Illinois University for research and testing on converting Illinois basin coal into transportation fuels. Such innovative technologies will play a crucial role in cutting our dependence on foreign oil.

These are significant steps. Yet, as the price of oil soars past $60 a barrel and U.S. oil imports continue to rise, lawmakers simply cannot afford to rest on their laurels with the passage of this bill. America must get serious about its energy problems and realize that we cannot wait any longer to lessen the burden of gas prices on the pocketbooks of consumers. It is time to concentrate on the pursuit of energy independence as the great project of our time. While this energy bill has serious flaws, it does represent a first step in that journey. I will continue to do all I can to keep this debate alive so that you and all Americans do not have to suffer the consequences of foreign oil cartels dictating the price of domestic motor fuel.

Again thank you for the message. Let's make sure to stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

Again thank you for the message. Let's make sure to stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator
why dont you invite him over to the house for mac and cheese........

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #96
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
If I didnt have a self-imposed no politics online rule, I would share some choice comments about both our Illinois senators .

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #97
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
If I didnt have a self-imposed no politics online rule, I would share some choice comments about both our Illinois senators .
And General, you would be correct, Sir!

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #98
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
why dont you invite him over to the house for mac and cheese........

norby
Yea, like all politicians, I'm sure he's just like you and me!

I wonder when was the last time this guy actually broke a sweat?

Just ask yourself one question, ever meet a poor politician? As Spock would say "Not in this space time continuem!"

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote