Old 08-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #57
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Cool Hmm imagining a solution....tow vehicle??

Think this model comes in aluminum? Lets see vet bills, stall cleaning, straw, hay, grain, harness, hmm gas prices don't look so bad do they?

Old 08-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #58
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
So why has the cost of a barrel of oil increased?
Profit big profits. Looks like a repeat of the power markets of the 2000.

Need I say more?
Yea...one more thing that crosses my mind is that it's not limited to the US. There are more oil companies than just the ones listed. We heard from our friends in Germany right here on this thread and they are paying over $6/gal. So in fact who exactly is calling the shots?

One thing that really made me happy was that the "executives" that were behind the Enron fiasco, got some jail time. At least there you could actually find someone, but this time it seems more global.

I know the demand is higher than it's ever been around the world, but for it to spike as it's been, I'm kind of with one of the posts here....anyone want to buy an RV and a Suburban? I wouldn't wait for it to hit $5/gal, by that point, no one is gonna want it....heck, even flying isn't going to be easy either.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:20 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi arnaz
never had these problems with bill clinton
No, with Clinton everything was on autopilot. Everyone was cookin' the books
and takin' money to the bank in Dump trucks.
NOW we're paying for all of it. Cleaning up a mess...things always get worse before they get better.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:38 PM   #60
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
got any ideas porky?.....i promise you wont need a .05 shrink....
(In my best De Niro voice) ... You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?

Anyone familiar with the Hubbert peak ? The Wikpedia site is a light read ... so once you have digested that ... you can go to the mothership.

Disclaimer: Porky Pig does not endorse or recommend any commercial products, thought processes, get rich quick schemes, religions, or risky medical procedures. The views and opinions of authors expressed on hyper-linked sites do not necessarily state or reflect those of Porky Pig, and they may not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:57 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Hi Porky...
I just checked out your website and photographs...stunning
I mean REALLY NICE.
My degree is in photography and I swear some of your pano shots
are second to none!
Nice job!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:56 PM   #62
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
gas taxes...

european countries' governments have always charged MUCH higher prices on consumer fuel than america has. last time i was in england i think we paid something like 87 pence a litre (a little over $6 a gallon) this was diesel. anyway, one of our friends over there told us that the farmers pay significantly less for "agricultural grade" diesel... something more in the line of 20p a litre. it's SO much less in fact, they actually put a dye in the fuel, if you take your car in for it's MOT and they find the dyed fuel in it, you are in for a WORLD of hurt! so, the point is, the US doesn't get a good deal on the fuel... the government just hasn't been able to raise it's taxes up to "european" standards YET!

like i said... when gas beats the price of beer... i'm walking to the pub!

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:57 PM   #63
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, I've said this in person, but not on the 'net, until now.
Remember when gasoline was $1.25/ gallon in 1981? If the oil companies had maintained that price, and adjusted it yearly for inflation, we would be paying well over $3/ gallon now, oil companies would be making obscene profits, and we would think nothing of it. It is that the price has jumped by 30 cents a gallon at a time that has us all up in arms.
If you factor in for inflation, the price of gas in 1981 was the modern-day equivalent of $3 a gallon! No wonder I was always running out of gas back then...Of course, that doesn't make me feel any better when I am spending what would be my entire 1981 weekly paycheck on a tank of gas in my van.
(40 gallon tank times almost $3 gallon=$120)
Old 08-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Okay, I've said this in person, but not on the 'net, until now.
Remember when gasoline was $1.25/ gallon in 1981? If the oil companies had maintained that price, and adjusted it yearly for inflation, we would be paying well over $3/ gallon now, oil companies would be making obscene profits, and we would think nothing of it.

I have heard this argument before, I feel it is a questionable argument.
If it held true I would be making about $100 per hour.
If all items, including income do not rise at the same rate,it means there are other factors influencing the change in value or the rate of change. They are Inflation or Manipulation
I don't know what all of those factors are, but follow the money has always worked in the past.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Del Norte , Colorado
Terry

When you put it that way it makes sense!

However gas was also $1.25 gal as recently as year 2000..
The current $3.00 gal is certainly more than inflation for the last 5 years..
But complaining won't get it back to $1.25
We can start telling stories now about "back when gas was a $1.25 we used to blah, blah"
Don
Old 08-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #66
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
european countries' governments have always charged MUCH higher prices on consumer fuel than america has. last time i was in england i think we paid something like 87 pence a litre (a little over $6 a gallon) this was diesel. anyway, one of our friends over there told us that the farmers pay significantly less for "agricultural grade" diesel... something more in the line of 20p a litre. it's SO much less in fact, they actually put a dye in the fuel, if you take your car in for it's MOT and they find the dyed fuel in it, you are in for a WORLD of hurt! so, the point is, the US doesn't get a good deal on the fuel... the government just hasn't been able to raise it's taxes up to "european" standards YET!

like i said... when gas beats the price of beer... i'm walking to the pub!
Got news for ya! they do that in the good ole USofA with Diesel fuel too. There is "non" road diesel and road diesel. The off road diesel is for ag equipment, and heavy construction equipment, if they catch it in an OTR truck you are busted...big time. There used to be a road building firm near where I live that is no longer in business and part of the reason was using the untaxed diesel in OTR dump trucks, pickups and the like. the government WILL get their money!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #67
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphfishin
Terry

When you put it that way it makes sense!

However gas was also $1.25 gal as recently as year 2000..
The current $3.00 gal is certainly more than inflation for the last 5 years..
But complaining won't get it back to $1.25
We can start telling stories now about "back when gas was a $1.25 we used to blah, blah"
Don
Don, what I said was, if the price of gas was maintained at $1.25/ gallon from 1981, and increased with inflation every year since 1981, we would be paying the same amount now, only we wouldn't be fussing about it. And yes, I agree with Gary, that some prices have remained static, and some prices have even dropped since 1981.
An average car was $4000 in 1981, now an average car is $15-20,000, and no one bats an eye.
I know that conspiracy theories abound, but there is only one true way to make prices of gas come down, and that is to reduce demand to the point that there is an oversupply again. I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future, and I have a strange feeling that if demand were to drop, suddenly an oil refinery would have to shut down for one reason or another, or the oil-producing middle east countries would not produce as much crude.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

Del Norte , Colorado
You mean?
If it looks like a Enron,
Talks like an Enron,
Smells like a Enron,
I might be another Enron? Or as others might say it's just the market forces at work in the capitalistic society?
Don
Old 08-14-2005, 08:49 PM   #69
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphfishin
You mean?
If it looks like a Enron,
Talks like an Enron,
Smells like a Enron,
I might be another Enron? Don
Quack! Quack! (like a duck)
BTW, I used to get LP delivered to our ranch in Missouri from a company in Mountain Home, I forget the name. It's a small world.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 AM   #70
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
Strike on Saturdays

If everyone would not buy gas on Saturdays, the supply would go up, and the price would go down. Also, you can't use any fuel on Saturdays.(Auto trips and lawn care) Try doing maintenance on your RV.

Note: Buy pleanty of beer on Fridays.